Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Jobs for 18yr olds (that is not in retail!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a permanent job. After working in retail for around a year I've realised it's really not what I want or enjoy. Every hour drags, it is painfully repetitive and the pay is awful. I come home dreading my next shift and it stresses me out a lot!

I'm wondering where else I could get a job at this age? Receptionist jobs seem to be aimed solely at older adults. I'm wondering whether hospitality would be something worth looking into?

Any specific places to consider checking out? Thank you all for your help

ReputationRep:
    Admin work, I managed to get an admin assistant job at about 19 so worth a try if your interested. As for sites try reed, indeed, totaljobs, directgov and CV library.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    Admin work, I managed to get an admin assistant job at about 19 so worth a try if your interested. As for sites try reed, indeed, totaljobs, directgov and CV library.
    Because that sounds so much more fun than retail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Because that sounds so much more fun than retail.
    Jeez I'm only trying to help

ReputationRep:
    I work as a care worker and they pay £8 an hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    Thank you. I did office work for work experience last year and weirdly enjoyed it so I'll check that out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    I work as a care worker and they pay £8 an hour
    Wow at age 18? Do you not need a qualification or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    Wow at age 18? Do you not need a qualification or?
    I started at 16! (i just turned 17)
    They're more likely to hire you if you have a level 2 qualification in health and social but if you don't it.. it's ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    I started at 16! (i just turned 17)
    They're more likely to hire you if you have a level 2 qualification in health and social but if you don't it.. it's ok!
    And is this with elderly or young children?
    Thanks for your help btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    And is this with elderly or young children?
    Thanks for your help btw
    It's usually with elderly but sometimes it's young children.
    You're absolutely welcome
    You do stuff like clean their house, go shopping for them, give them their med and it's not that hard tbh. The only disadvantage to it is that sometimes you have to do the dirty work and change their pampers, give them a shower and stuff. It's very hard work sometimes. But it's very good pay.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to get non-**** pay if you haven't got a good apprenticeship or you haven't been to uni.

Essentially all options over 9 pounds an hour require extensive training if not a degree, for example you can enter the Police Force or the National Air Traffic Service with virtually no qualifications but you need to go through a few years of training.

Other than that you can do an apprenticeship. For example, most accountancy firms do apprenticeships with reduced or non-existent qualifications, and you'll be marked based on your suitability and your competency and potential. Accounting, surveying and manufacturing are all traditional and reputable apprenticeships with a future use after you complete them, with most often a job offer at the end. Anything else stay away from it, although construction isn't all bad so long as it's a firm with a good history.

Anything else over the 20k mark that isn't years of training is probably trying your luck at an oil rig, container/cruise ship or manufacturing, and you'll get on the job training.

Other than that, nothing.

What do you like doing? What were your GCSE/A Level grades? Did you ever do any work experience? What are you trying to do in the future?

ReputationRep:
    How about bar or restaurant work? A lot of places don't require previous experience as they train you themselves

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.