Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm new to TSR but I have been lurking around the site whilst I've been sitting my GCSEs and my dream is to become a veterinarian.

For GCSEs I sat:
    English Literature
    English Language
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Art
    French
    ICT
    Geography
    RS
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

I was predicted all A*s for my GCSEs but I feel that realistically the best I have will get is 2 A*s (Biology, Art), 7 As (English Literature, English Language, ICT, Geography, RS, Chemistry, Physics/Mathematics) and 3 Bs (Mathematics/Physics, Further Mathematics, French) which annoys me a bit as I put so much effort and work into my GCSEs but I would be extremely happy with these results (apart from a B/6 in mathematics/physics).

For my A-Levels I would like to definitely do Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics (as I love maths but ended up running out of time to practice due to art) and I have considered doing Further Mathematics as an AS level but I'm still not sure.

For work experience I have been at a mixed practice vets from February 2015 (every Friday after school and full days during the holidays when possible) and I have been at a dairy farm the past week and a bit and intend to do a few months worth of work experience there as well. I am looking into doing some lambing, equestrian work, kennels, dog and cat rescue centre and rodent rescue. When I was 13 I did a week of work at a pet shop so I may see if I can get a reference from there if possible and then hopefully this will be enough experience for University.

I would like to apply to Glasgow, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham and I think my firm choice would hopefully be Surrey but I will see.

For my A-levels I would love to achieve A*A*A but realistically I would maybe achieve A A/B B so I'm hoping to be able to achieve the grades for Surrey but I was wondering if anyone could help me with anything extra I could do to boost my application or any advice in general.

Thanks, Jonathan.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the vet schools require an A in either maths or physics at GCSE, so be aware of that - if you don't get an A in either of them, it limits your choice of vet schools.

Obviously chem and bio at a-level are required, but many of the vet schools are relaxed about the third choice (I'm actually taking art). As long as you feel as if you can succeed in whatever you choose, I've heard that's the important part If maths is what you feel comfortable with, take it! You could take a further maths AS level too, but it's worth remembering some of the vet schools (Nottingham for definite) don't consider them anymore and won't give you extra merit. This includes the EPQ.

Your work experience line-up looks good, but consider trying to get a day placement at either an abattoir, a veterinary lab or farrier just to give it some extra sparkle :banana:

I'm a current year 13, so not a vet student (I hope to be soon ) but I would be more than happy to talk to you about anything veterinary related!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brrrigid)
    Many of the vet schools require an A in either maths or physics at GCSE, so be aware of that - if you don't get an A in either of them, it limits your choice of vet schools.

Obviously chem and bio at a-level are required, but many of the vet schools are relaxed about the third choice (I'm actually taking art). As long as you feel as if you can succeed in whatever you choose, I've heard that's the important part If maths is what you feel comfortable with, take it! You could take a further maths AS level too, but it's worth remembering some of the vet schools (Nottingham for definite) don't consider them anymore and won't give you extra merit. This includes the EPQ.

Your work experience line-up looks good, but consider trying to get a day placement at either an abattoir, a veterinary lab or farrier just to give it some extra sparkle :banana:

I'm a current year 13, so not a vet student (I hope to be soon ) but I would be more than happy to talk to you about anything veterinary related!
    Thank you for replying to my post, it has really helped . One of the vets at the vet practice I go to mentioned I should try and get into an abattoir as well so I'm definitely going to look into. I was just wondering what subjects and grades did you do/get at GCSE and what grades did you get at AS level?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, by current yr 13 I mean just about to move up - haven't got my AS back yet

For GCSE I took eng literature + language, maths, biology, chemistry and physics, german, computer science, history and art. I don't think what GCSEs you take really matters, as long as you have the standard maths, english and science.

Yep, the abattoir is really interesting. You get to see much more anatomy than you do at school, and when I was there, the vet and master butcher let me have a proper poke at the offal - it's an odd experience, and since I saw some goats I'd helped raise as kids slaughtered, it was all a bit surreal but it is very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brrrigid)
    Ah, by current yr 13 I mean just about to move up - haven't got my AS back yet

For GCSE I took eng literature + language, maths, biology, chemistry and physics, german, computer science, history and art. I don't think what GCSEs you take really matters, as long as you have the standard maths, english and science.

Yep, the abattoir is really interesting. You get to see much more anatomy than you do at school, and when I was there, the vet and master butcher let me have a proper poke at the offal - it's an odd experience, and since I saw some goats I'd helped raise as kids slaughtered, it was all a bit surreal but it is very interesting.
    I've just talked to my mum about going to an abattoir and as it had been mentioned at the vets when she came to pick me up one time we have the number of an abattoir near us so I may give them a call and see if I can go. I have just been looking at an exotics veterinary practice near me so hopefully if I ask if I can do some work experience there then I may have that as well to add onto my list. Just curious but what unis are you thinking of applying to and good luck for results day .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, absolutely go if you get the chance! The exotics should be really cool too, let me know how you get on with sorting that out.

I'm looking at applying to Nottingham, RVC, Surrey and Edinburgh...although I'm currently trying to decide between Liverpool and Edinburgh. And thank-you, I'll need it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.