Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Peeps.

Could I just ask about your experiences of taking the Civil Service 'Verbal test' please?

The reason being, I have been invited to interview for a 'Work Coach' post at the DWP, but I received an email this morning advertising another post at DWP, so I thought I would hedge my bets and apply for that also.

Having an account at the Civil service website, the application process was smooth enough, as all my details were stored in the system. I was then asked to take a test that included videos to watch etc. I take it that I passed that, as I then received another email asking me to take the 'Verbal test'.

The verbal test seemed a quite straight forward affair and I thought the questions easy. To my dismay, I failed it, and was informed that my application would not continue.

"Damn and blast it.." thinks I, "There must be some sort of 'glitch' in the system.", so I enquired via email, only to receive this response:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon *********,

Thank you for your email.

There have been over 300 candidates who have applied for this vacancy
    and there have been errors reported. I can confirm that candidates have
    applied before you applied and after you applied with no system errors.

I can ensure you that the tests are monitored closely and if any errors
    are reported this is dealt with accordingly.

I appreciate this will be disappointing for you but would like to thank
    you for your interest in this vacancy and wish you well in the future.

Kind Regards

******* *********** [Name withheld]
    Recruitment Advisor - Service Delivery Team
    Service Delivery Team
    BP3302 | Warkworth House | Benton Park View | Longbenton | NE98 1Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could any of you 'clever' peeps help me out, by telling me what this response means please? I only have 8 CSE's from 1980 and I can't make head nor tail of it...

Thanks.

◯ True ◯ False ◯ Cannot say
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustOld)
    Hi Peeps.

Could I just ask about your experiences of taking the Civil Service 'Verbal test' please?

The reason being, I have been invited to interview for a 'Work Coach' post at the DWP, but I received an email this morning advertising another post at DWP, so I thought I would hedge my bets and apply for that also.

Having an account at the Civil service website, the application process was smooth enough, as all my details were stored in the system. I was then asked to take a test that included videos to watch etc. I take it that I passed that, as I then received another email asking me to take the 'Verbal test'.

The verbal test seemed a quite straight forward affair and I thought the questions easy. To my dismay, I failed it, and was informed that my application would not continue.

"Damn and blast it.." thinks I, "There must be some sort of 'glitch' in the system.", so I enquired via email, only to receive this response:

Good afternoon *********,

Thank you for your email.

There have been over 300 candidates who have applied for this vacancy
    and there have been errors reported. I can confirm that candidates have
    applied before you applied and after you applied with no system errors.

I can ensure you that the tests are monitored closely and if any errors
    are reported this is dealt with accordingly.

I appreciate this will be disappointing for you but would like to thank
    you for your interest in this vacancy and wish you well in the future.

Kind Regards

******* *********** [Name withheld]
    Recruitment Advisor - Service Delivery Team
    Service Delivery Team
    BP3302 | Warkworth House | Benton Park View | Longbenton | NE98 1Z

Could any of you 'clever' peeps help me out, by telling me what this response means please? I only have 8 CSE's from 1980 and I can't make head nor tail of it...

Thanks.

◯ True ◯ False ◯ Cannot say
    If I'm understanding correctly, they were saying that there was no fault in the test.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kevin.

Yes, a typo...we all make mistakes I suppose.

However, I've just received another email, saying that the matter is being passed higher up the chain of command. Apparently, I am not the only person to have recently queried the validity of the test.

The plot thickens...

:titan:

ReputationRep:
    Completed in 164 seconds. [2 min's 44 sec's]

100% - 5/5

I think someone has changed the old test for a 'new' one...

http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/TE...636&POSITION=5

Gutted...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.