Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dating v Hanging out what is the Difference? Watch

Announcements

Is hanging out when theres more than 1 of u? Or is it only dating, when u say its a date? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    edit: actually I don't want to get banned

ReputationRep:
    I think you just know from the vibe and body language etc. If I've just met a guy we've been getting to know each other and he asks me out, I'd consider that to be a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is hanging out when theres more than 1 of u? Or is it only dating, when u say its a date? :confused:
    Hanging out is pre-dating. It's figuring out if you actually want to date this person.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Label and nothing else. People have their own expectations of what a "date" is, but you could have a "date" of just sitting watching Netflix and eating microwave popcorn. Ditto with "hanging out".
    Usual idea is that a date is official couple stuff and there's some sort of structure and expectation, like man pays, kiss at the end or whatever. Hanging out is usually more of a chill informal thing like you would have with friends (but can be a couple thing too).
    Biggest thing I would note is if you are asked on a date vs to hang out, I would expect the date would be just two and hang out could include others. If it's already decided it's just the two of you though I wouldn't expect any specific difference.

If people are fussed by those definitions and labels then there is a big difference, but at the end of the day either can be whatever you want and you can reach the same point in a relationship weather you "date" or "hang out".
    A lot of people have relationships that grow from just hanging out and never have much of an official label. Personally I don't think I've ever been on a "date", but I have been on multiple couple outings with my bf which some people would call dates. It's more of a matter of what you want to call it than what it actually is.

Most important thing is to have an understanding with the other party and not be having a "date" where one person thinks it's casual hanging out and spending time together and one thinks it's a formal meal, guy opens car door for girl, orders food and drinks, pays, drives her home, kisses her at the perfect time blah blah blah.
    As long as you don't have crazy different expectations you can call it whatever you want.

Wow that was long for such a short question. Oh well I hope it at least makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between married and in a relationship living together?

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    I think you just know from the vibe and body language etc. If I've just met a guy we've been getting to know each other and he asks me out, I'd consider that to be a date.
    what if he says "u wanna hang out" tho?

I call a lot of things dates, study dates, shopping dates, food dates etc, with the opposite or same gender. When I say I'm going on a date with someone it's most likely platonic. Poor use of the word, I know but I just use it.

There are instances where I'll use 'date night' or 'date with a guy' and that'll mean a proper, romantic date.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.