The Student Room Group

are rape jokes acceptable?

This poll is closed

are rape jokes acceptable?

Yes 53%
No47%
Total votes: 129
Many people on the progressive side of social politics in addition to most feminists disapprove of jokes which derives humour from the concept of rape. In recent years there's been a documented flurry of outrage whenever comedians or other figures in the public spotlight make rape jokes, such as Frankie Boyle in 2012 or even the Filipino President very recently. So, are rape jokes a distasteful trivialisation of a serious and often traumatising matter for many people or is it just any other topic which comedians have the right to exercise free speech over and make fun of?

Vote in the poll above and post your views below.

Scroll to see replies

Anything can be funny if you come at it from the right angle, rape jokes aren't funny except for when they're funny.
Completely depends on the context. If you're telling a rape joke to a recent rape victim, then it's probably not funny.

But otherwise I think they are acceptable. I think people nowadays are far too sensitive. People will get offended by very small things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Rape jokes are not funny for anyone who has experienced rape.
From a judicial perspective we're not very tough on rape at all. I think it's rather ironic that those progressives who tout their anger at rape jokes would also be on the frontline in opposing harsher sentences and prison conditions for rapists. From the perspective of comedy and humour, I strongly believe no subject matter should be off limits with the exception of personalised jokes that target people who aren't rich or powerful. Asides from that, free speech is free speech and if you don't like the type of comedian who's liable to make rape jokes you ought to not listen to them.
Reply 5
nothing should be off limits to talk about, whether it's a joke or it's serious. It may not be appropriate at some times (for instance, a counsellor should probably not tell a rape joke to their client who is a rape victim) but nothing should generally be off limits. It's a form of censorship and is dangerous in my opinion.
No, because you wouldn't want someone to joke around when someone's been violated and worst when it happens to younger girls.
It's entirely dependant on context.
Original post by anon_mous
Rape jokes are not funny for anyone who has experienced rape.

Obviously not true. You don't speak for every victim of rape.

Original post by Zargabaath
It's entirely dependant on context.

Thread should end here. This is the answer.
Pretty much every rape joke I've heard is distasteful, condescending and just not funny. It does depend entirely on the context but even then rape jokes usually just fall flat.
Context
Original post by Wilfred Little
Obviously not true. You don't speak for every victim of rape.

True. Similarly, however, you cannot assume that its "obviously not true" because you also cannot speak for every victim of rape.
As someone else said, you have to approach it from the right angle for it to be funny. There's a time and a place for these sort of jokes e.g. during stand-up comedy and not out in public to a mate.

Then again, it's all fun and games until you, or someone you know, becomes a victim of rape.
Rape is not funny. Not in any context, nor under any circumstances. Anyone who thinks it's funny to make jokes about rape has to be a 1st class moron.
I personally do not find rape jokes acceptable but you can't ban people from making them because this is a democracy. What some of us can do is try to enlighten people as to why some of us do not find rape jokes appropriate.

Rape jokes can discourage victims from reporting rape to the police, as they may feel they won't be taken seriously.
Original post by anon_mous
True. Similarly, however, you cannot assume that its "obviously not true" because you also cannot speak for every victim of rape.

This doesn't even make sense.
Whatever you say will be considered offensive by somebody in the world. Best bet it to learn to use common sense and to when and where to open your mouth.
What's an example of a rape joke?
Rape jokes just come to show how disgusting and disappointing our society is. They influence people to think that rape is a light issue when infact in society today it's one of the most serious matters. It has ruined and continues to ruin thousands of lives. Unfortunately, insensitive, hard hearted people, who think everything is a joke, do still exist in our society and yes such people don't deserve to be a part of our society. Rape is not a joke in any circumstances and those of you who think it is should seriously reflect on your lives and think that if it had happened to you or any of your family members whether you would still consider it a joke. If an individual chooses to exercise their valuable freedom of speech to make pathetic rape jokes then it just reflects their character. End of.

Original post by murintemed
Many people on the progressive side of social politics in addition to most feminists disapprove of jokes which derives humour from the concept of rape. In recent years there's been a documented flurry of outrage whenever comedians or other figures in the public spotlight make rape jokes, such as Frankie Boyle in 2012 or even the Filipino President very recently. So, are rape jokes a distasteful trivialisation of a serious and often traumatising matter for many people or is it just any other topic which comedians have the right to exercise free speech over and make fun of?

Vote in the poll above and post your views below.
(edited 6 years ago)
All people should be allowed to say whatever jokes they want. Whether or not the jokes they say are funny depends on who's listening to said jokes and what the context is. E.g. it would be a dickhead thing to go up to a rape victim and say a rape joke. That would be unacceptable. But in the context of a comedy show, it's totally acceptable because in that scenario nothing should be off limits. Anyone who gets offended by a joke coming from a stand-up comedian shouldn't be at that show.

I've noticed many feminist females get riled up when a comedian says a rape joke or anything considered sexist/derogatory towards females, but they're fine when the comedian makes fun of other groups of people.

Quick Reply

Latest