Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are rape jokes acceptable? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: are rape jokes acceptable?
    Yes
    53.49%
    No
    46.51%

ReputationRep:
    All people should be allowed to say whatever jokes they want. Whether or not the jokes they say are funny depends on who's listening to said jokes and what the context is. E.g. it would be a ******** thing to go up to a rape victim and say a rape joke. That would be unacceptable. But in the context of a comedy show, it's totally acceptable because in that scenario nothing should be off limits. Anyone who gets offended by a joke coming from a stand-up comedian shouldn't be at that show.

I've noticed many feminist females get riled up when a comedian says a rape joke or anything considered sexist/derogatory towards females, but they're fine when the comedian makes fun of other groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    are they even funny first of all?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Morally it may be viewed as unacceptable, but abstinence from tasteless jokes is not morally obligatory.

ReputationRep:
    They tend to cross the line of taste, so don't be surprised if they go down like a flat fart.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what company you're in, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    This doesn't even make sense.
    Sorry. What I'm trying to say is how can you possible know its "obviously not true"?

The same way that I do not have the authority to speak for every rape victim, you cannot really claim to know, without doubt, that some rape victims find jokes about rape amusing or acceptable. Some may claim they do find them funny, it does not necessarily mean they do.

I don't think i'm articulating myself very well. But anyway, OP asked for opinions and, IMO rape jokes are not funny for anyone who has experienced rape. I never claimed I was speaking for absolutely everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon_mous)
    Sorry. What I'm trying to say is how can you possible know its "obviously not true"?

The same way that I do not have the authority to speak for every rape victim, you cannot really claim to know, without doubt, that rape victims may find jokes about rape amusing or acceptable. Some may claim they do find them funny, it does not necessarily mean they do.

I don't think i'm articulating myself very well. But anyway, OP asked for opinions and, IMO rape jokes are not funny for anyone who has experienced rape. I never claimed I was speaking for absolutely everyone.
    Still not making any sense.

ReputationRep:
    The results are weird.
    Nothing funny about rape jokes
    • Very Important Poster

Be interesting to see how many of the people who voted yes were male and how many female.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't vote because the poll options aren't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    so many people have said yes... what the heck. how uneducated must you be to not realise how abusive and cruel rape is? that's like joking about the death of someone's parents. it's totally not acceptable. in what scenario anybody would even WANT to joke about rape, i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    They're jokes, nothing wrong with them in the slightest. Lighten up, lefties.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    With or Without Context, unacceptable IMO
    • Very Important Poster

People voting yes, then can we have some examples of context and why you find them funny?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    They're jokes, nothing wrong with them in the slightest. Lighten up, lefties.
    Why do you say lefties? have you or any of your family been raped? Would you think it funny if they had?

ReputationRep:
    In the interests of free speech, as so many here are fond of when it comes to insulting certain groups of people, then it has to be ok. Can't have it all ways!!!
    All or nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Still not making any sense.
    It's an emotive topic. Clearly I'm not making my point very well, so i'll just leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    Someone joked that they'll rape me and I scoffed at the time. But now older (with more common sense) it's not funny and shouldn't be made light hearted. I can see how people can twist racism into a joke (it depends though) but rape is a no no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why do you say lefties? have you or any of your family been raped? Would you think it funny if they had?
    If we couldn't joke about anything negative that has happened to anyone else then we wouldn't have much left to joke about would we?

ReputationRep:
    Either all of it is ok or none of it is ok, we cannot cherry pick these kinds of things so we should make up our minds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.