Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are rape jokes acceptable? Watch

• View Poll Results: are rape jokes acceptable?
    Yes
    53.49%
    No
    46.51%

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can be. Why are so many people here acting as though the humour in rape jokes is always "rape is a hilarious thing to happen"? More often the humour simply comes from the unexpectedness of the punchline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    They are not funny whatsoever, and I will never ever accept any reasoning that tries to convince me they are. Even to a non-victim, it's disgusting, insensitive and just a *****y thing to say and even think. Why anyone would even consider making a joke about such a sensitive and life-changing issue is completely beyond me, those that do are just class A scum.

Context means nothing - there's no difference, I don't think, in the level of offensiveness of a rape joke dependent on whether they're told to a victim or not. They are equally offensive and the fact that I've read people say here that they're funny so long as you only say them to non-victims is just absurd. I would be completely disgusted if someone ever mentioned rape to me in the context of a joke. It's not a joke, and shouldn't be made into the subject of one, ever.

So in short, no they are absolutely not acceptable in any circumstance. This isn't just me being "sensitive" or whatever - it's a serious act that leaves many people emotionally scarred (or worse) for long periods of time. Sue me for thinking it's not okay to be joked about.
    Thoughts on the following joke?

"My wife was gang raped by a troupe of mime artists.

They performed unspeakable acts on her."

The humour here is nothing more than linguistic, a play on words. The joke itself even confirms that rape is a terrible thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in context.

For instance if I make one at work I'm not exactly going to expect the office to howl with laughter and I shouldn't be surprised with the consequence being losing my job.

If I target one in malicious a deliberate fashion at a person knowing it will cause alarm and distress then I shouldn't be surprised if the consequence of that is it being treated as harassment.

If I make one in someone's car or private property and they are offended and want me to leave then I'll live with that consequence.

In a reasonable environment though if I make one and someone chooses to be offended then tough luck. You can tell me you don't find it acceptable and that's your right to do so, and I can ignore you expressing free speech in that manner.

So it's acceptable that rape jokes can be made, it's the foundation of free speech that it includes things you don't want to hear. But with that free speech comes the responsibility that you speak appropriately and accept the consequences if you don't.

It's also absolutely someones right to find it deeply offensive and that's fine as well, someone who considers it never acceptable and I probably don't have enough in common to associate with.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Thoughts on the following joke?

"My wife was gang raped by a troupe of mime artists.

They performed unspeakable acts on her."

The humour here is nothing more than linguistic, a play on words. The joke itself even confirms that rape is a terrible thing.
    Although the humour isn't to do with the subject itself, I just find this totally unnecessary, and unfunny. My previous points still stand though, and I don't agree with rape being used in a jokey context whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    With enough context, but tbh i think its probably one of the hardest jokes to pull off considering i've never heard a funny one and they are pretty much all very insulting and insensetive. Actually I have techinally heard a funny one but it had a LOT of context and wasnt really a joke but rather a funny situation in a video game which used the concept of rape as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Although the humour isn't to do with the subject itself, I just find this totally unnecessary, and unfunny. My previous points still stand though, and I don't agree with rape being used in a jokey context whatsoever.
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    no
    imagine saying a rape joke to someone who's a rape victim and you didn't know
    imagine saying a rape joke to a group of friends and one of them is a rapist, and then they think rape is acceptable because they're all laughing
    Have you ever made or laughed at a "don't drop the soap" joke?

Is it just rape or offensive/dark humor in general? Especially given the fact that there are other crimes which are equally horrible or worse which are joked about.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)

Is it just rape or offensive/dark humor in general? Especially given the fact that there are other crimes which are equally horrible or worse which are joked about.
    no because there's a billion of other things to joke about

all i said was imagine saying a rape joke in those scenarios :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    no because there's a billion of other things to joke about

all i said was imagine saying a rape joke in those scenarios :dontknow:
    ah right.

so is it fine for a stand up comedian to do those jokes? since the audience usually know the type of humour a comedian does (e.g. rape jokes)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)

Never.

There are a lot of things that I don't agree should ever be joked about, but for some reason this is a topic I feel more strongly about than others. I just personally don't find the vast majority of offensive jokes funny if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    How is it even possible that so many posts in this thread align with the idea that rape jokes are perfectly fine depending on angle and context

You're not offended by the concept of such a disgusting violation? Okay great - But you're a human being right? So maybe find a little room for empathy for those who are offended. Maybe basic decency could stand in place of your offence in order to perhaps find the content matter a little less appealing, even if the right "angle" was used.

what even is this crap
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia_)
    How is it even possible that so many posts in this thread align with the idea that rape jokes are perfectly fine depending on angle and context

You're not offended by the concept of such a disgusting violation? Okay great - But you're a human being right? So maybe find a little room for empathy for those who are offended. Maybe basic decency could stand in place of your offence in order to perhaps find the content matter a little less appealing, even if the right "angle" was used.

what even is this crap
    Ikr, I much prefer terrorist jokes!

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes in the notion that they should be allowed to say.
    Would I joke about rape myself? Depends who I'm chatting to.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    T R I G G E R E D

ReputationRep:

what even is this crap
    I don't think anyone is talking about laughing at rape victims, or laughing at the act of rape. They're horrific.

It's about dark humour, I don't think a male or female being raped is anything other than horrific,the thing about a rape joke that makes it funny is exactly how inappropriate it is to say it. It's the incongruity of saying something so shocking within a civilised context.

People don't laugh at a rape joke because they find rape acceptable, in fact it's a prerequisite they are appalled by rape for that incongruity to be apparent to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    No, because you wouldn't want someone to joke around when someone's been violated and worst when it happens to younger girls.
    Bot sexist in my opinion, think rape is equally bad for all victims.
    still quite funny tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    I don't think anyone is talking about laughing at rape victims, or laughing at the act of rape. They're horrific.

It's about dark humour, I don't think a male or female being raped is anything other than horrific,the thing about a rape joke that makes it funny is exactly how inappropriate it is to say it. It's the incongruity of saying something so shocking within a civilised context.

People don't laugh at a rape joke because they find rape acceptable, in fact it's a prerequisite they are appalled by rape for that incongruity to be apparent to them.
    How can you say people aren't talking about laughing at the act of rape whilst talking about people laughing after hearing a joke regarding the act of rape

again what is this crap

ReputationRep:
    How can you say people aren't talking about laughing at the act of rape whilst talking about people laughing after hearing a joke regarding the act of rape

again what is this crap
    It's not the act of rape that forms the basis of why it's humorous though. There is no irony in an act of rape, it's just savage.

The humour arises from the bluntness of making the reference within a context that it isn't appropriate. The funniest moments are an unexpected, sudden shift in perspective. It's the dynamic of a conversation being civilised one moment, then leaping to as abhorrent a concept as you can imagine that triggers that incongruity and people find funny.

They don't find rape the act funny, they find the unexpectedness funny. For some people that's a man walking and suddenly slipping on a banana, and for those who appreciate darker humour without conflating joking about a matter with trivialising it then a joke about rape will make them laugh.

ReputationRep:
    No not at all

ReputationRep:

what even is this crap
    Because people have different morals and values to you. That is part of 'being human'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Because people have different morals and values to you. That is part of 'being human'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do you even realise i considered that in my post but pointed out that basic human decency should extend past the difference

stop trying to look logical and instead try to read better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.