The Student Room Group

are rape jokes acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thaladan
I think that 'rape jokes' can and sometimes do help rape victims overcome the trauma, because that is one of the sociological purposes of humour. Do you deny that possibility?

But I suspect that such humour could only work, even potentially, among intimate friends. So, no, not at a support meeting. :smile:

This article if worth reading:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/humor-sapiens/201209/when-do-tragedies-become-funny

As much as I've argued for the acceptability of a rape joke in general, in my experience, a victim will probably not share in the humour, they won't laugh along. Especially their big hard Irish boyfriends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WCGKb8ikRc
All rape jokes and jokes on topics that you have just stated are serious and harmful to society. I don't really know what you mean by 'level' but what I can say is that they are equally harmful through the impact they have on society.

Original post by mashbbk
Would you put it on the same level as say, racist, nazi, or sexist jokes?
Original post by CuriousSherlock

With the right context, the right audience, and the right tone, rape jokes can be acceptable.

I quite agree. And replace "rape" with "any".

People who get het up about one kind of joke only - usually rape - are irrational. If you find all jokes involving suffering offensive then you're rational, you just lack a sense of humour.
Original post by Sabz152
All rape jokes and jokes on topics that you have just stated are serious and harmful to society. I don't really know what you mean by 'level' but what I can say is that they are equally harmful through the impact they have on society.

Everything is harmful to society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
you just can't say no..
Original post by chazwomaq
I quite agree. And replace "rape" with "any".

People who get het up about one kind of joke only - usually rape - are irrational. If you find all jokes involving suffering offensive then you're rational, you just lack a sense of humour.

Well this is completely it. If you think all other jokes involving human suffering are fine but think rape jokes are unacceptable you're a hypocrite.
Never
Original post by Seamus123
Rape is not funny. Not in any context, nor under any circumstances. Anyone who thinks it's funny to make jokes about rape has to be a 1st class moron.

Not saying it is funny, but you should note that most people are fine with joking about murder, which is worse. Are they all '1st class morons' too?
Original post by Thaladan
I think that 'rape jokes' can and sometimes do help rape victims overcome the trauma, because that is one of the sociological purposes of humour. Do you deny that possibility?

But I suspect that such humour could only work, even potentially, among intimate friends. So, no, not at a support meeting. :smile:

This article if worth reading:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/humor-sapiens/201209/when-do-tragedies-become-funny

Thanks for sharing the article!

In hindsight getting hit by a car will be humorous experience provided the victim makes a full recovery. Alternatively, say he was wheelchair-bound with a dismembered limb, I doubt he (or his loved ones) will see anything humorous in his accident.
Original post by limetang
Well this is completely it. If you think all other jokes involving human suffering are fine but think rape jokes are unacceptable you're a hypocrite.

Wouldn't a hypocrite be a rapist who found rape jokes unacceptable?
Original post by chazwomaq
Wouldn't a hypocrite be a rapist who found rape jokes unacceptable?

That would be one type of hypocrite sure. But what I mentioned is also hypocrisy. You can't be against rape jokes on the grounds that rape is too serious, traumatizing a thing to joke about whilst being okay with jokes about violence, about murder, about death etc.

If you are against rape jokes fundamentally because rape causes immense suffering then YES it IS hypocritical to be okay with other types of jokes that make light of other types of suffering that are equal in severity to rape.
Reply 111
sure, why not
That's deep .... and vague
Original post by Moonstruck16
Everything is harmful to society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
No way. It normalized rape and contributes to a culture where we don't look at it as harshly and blame victims. And on top of that...

1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

And the thing is out of all the ones who do report to the police only about 5% of attackers are prosecuted. This is what rape jokes contribute to. If that's not enough bear in mind when prosecuted rapists were asked they genuinely believe rape is normal and 'we all do it but don't talk about it' and this is validated with lots of things but particularly rape jokes.

So even if you know it's wrong and not to do it you never know who is one and who sees your joke as acceptance that they can go do it.

Plus considering the high rates of assault it's likely somebody in ear shot has survived an assault, so for those of you saying 'yes but not to a rape victim's how do you know who is and isn't a rape victim? They don't exactly walk around with t-shirts on.

So seriously do NOT make rape jokes
Original post by Anitra
No way. It normalized rape and contributes to a culture where we don't look at it as harshly and blame victims.

No it doesn't.
Meh race jokes are funny so why not, cancer jokes/autism ones are the funniest tbf
It's super annoying to find people on here who are all like 'it depends on context' like NO HONEY RAPE JOKES ARE NOT OKAY. screw 'context'.
Reply 117
Audience and context. You dont want to go around saying them willy nilly because not everyone would find it a joke. Like if your in private with a friend and itd make him laugh whats bad about it? If no one is upset about the joke then its okay in my book
Original post by Soveryanonymous
It's super annoying to find people on here who are all like 'it depends on context' like NO HONEY RAPE JOKES ARE NOT OKAY. screw 'context'.

Screw context ... without consent, eh? Get it?
No they are BANG out of order

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending