Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So basically, I've just finished my A Level exams and if I get the grades will hopefully be going to my firm university in September. However, if I get the grades I actually want to apply to Oxford instead and I'm just wondering when I should start preparing? Is it too early to start now considering I don't have my results yet and don't know if I'll even be able to? Obviously if I start preparing now and don't get the required 3 As any preparation would be rendered useless.

For my course I need to do an admissions test and an essay, and then obviously my personal statement.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    So basically, I've just finished my A Level exams and if I get the grades will hopefully be going to my firm university in September. However, if I get the grades I actually want to apply to Oxford instead and I'm just wondering when I should start preparing? Is it too early to start now considering I don't have my results yet and don't know if I'll even be able to? Obviously if I start preparing now and don't get the required 3 As any preparation would be rendered useless.

For my course I need to do an admissions test and an essay, and then obviously my personal statement.
    We would suggest looking at a few sample test papers and drafting a PS as these activities shouldn't require a heavy time commitment.

If you do apply, you'll need to be available to take the test and attend interviews if invited so bear that in mind when making plans for next year.

Good luck with your A-level results next month.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    Last year it took me about 2 weeks of intense preparation solving section 1's of every single BMAT and previous TSA papers in order to prepare for the TSA. Drafting a PS should not be very time consuming, given the fact that you have already applied to universities and have a general template. You will definitely be fine even if you start preparing a couple of weeks before the admission test takes place.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the typical HAT score is for those invited to interview, and is there a cutoff or typical score that leads to an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CDMK)
    Does anyone know what the typical HAT score is for those invited to interview, and is there a cutoff or typical score that leads to an interview?
    Googling for FOI requests sometimes produces interesting information. Here's a starter answer for HAT scores 2012-14; you can easily look for more.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.