The Student Room Group

Why are some people against homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Goldfish4343
Can't people just love no matter the gender?

Therein lie precisely my feelings towards monosexuality (primarily heterosexuality and homosexuality).

I cannot understand why people would restrict themselves to loving only one gender. To me, the concept is ludicrous. It's inequality- saying 'I only like this gender' seems like saying 'I only like this race' or 'I only like this height'c However, I'm asexual, so I'm far more familiar with romantic orientation than sexual orientation.
Original post by Treeroy
It is not natural, it is not how humans are meant to be. I have nothing against gay people but it should not be encouraged. It is a defect and we should stop celebrating it.

I am an atheist btw.

1. and 2. it's clearly natural due to the fact that homosexuality is found in hundreds of animal species all over the world. Swans can be gay... If you're taking defects as your reason and lambasting homosexuals for being outside of the 'norm', I'm pretty sure brown eyes were originally a defect? Our pancreas has become a defect, because it's good for nothing except exploding, and yet we don't rail against that? Humans weren't meant to survive cancer and yet we've been working f*cking hard to fix that.

3. If by celebrating you mean having things like gay pride, pride is necessary not because The Gays are saying they're better than straight people, but because it's a way of a community uniting which has been tormented by laws, homophobia, violence and murder for decades. Of course they're going to want to get together and feel proud about a part of their identity they've grown up believing is a defect, makes them unworthy or less than other people. Imagine if people arbitrarily chose another trait to vilify others over - big nose? You're disgusting and should hang for it. You'd grow up believing you were so much worse than everyone else, trying to hide or change your nose, when the only reason people are attacking you is because it's something we've chosen to dislike. If you think we celebrate homosexuality now, read some Greek lit. Socrates, Virgil, Plato? All into that gay s***. All of 'em.

Original post by Getinthegutter
I have nothing against queers, I just do not like the promotion of it via TV programmes such as corronation street and Eastenders which greatly over represents gay people, there is nothing wrong with it but i do not want it shoved down everyones neck. I bet if you compared the gay characters in coronation street with the national trends they are greatly over representative.

See my previous point about the Greeks, they were gay as heck all the time and yet people study classics like The Aeneid and Plato's Symposium all the time? Also, literally by using the word 'queer' you're showing how little you understand it... in a pejorative context that is. Believe it or not, not many gay people like the label queer, especially being said by a straight person, because that word has been used to literally justify murder in the past. You have no idea about it not being representative, imagine how gay people feel? Every single time they see a film it's like, oh, right, this is nice, more straight people. It really sucks growing up with so little to relate to. There's the "One in 10" rule which is basically like, there's probably about 10% of the population who are gay, and that's only people choosing to identify with it or be honest, I think you'd find far more people who are either bi or bicurious. So no, it's hardly overrepresentative, and that representation is often the best thing gay people get. So suck it up. If we deal with your straight drama, you can at least hold down your vomit over two consenting adults of the same gender having their own screen time.

Original post by Anonymous
wut lol
how is any of that relevant

Those are things that we as an advanced, intelligent species, have deliberately created in order to better ourselves and our species. We now live longer, healthier, and safer lives as a result.

How does homosexuality benefit anyone? It means someone is incapable of fulfilling their goal in life. Gay people are a failure of nature. No offence.

By "natural" I don't mean it is physically unnatural, evidently it exists and does not seem like it was man made. But it is not healthy or normal, in the same way that any other defect or illness is not healthy despite it being naturally caused.

@ Mods how can I change my name to Failure of Nature I'd really like that thank you.

But for real, are you seriously arguing that procreation is every person's sole goal in life? Are you serious? There is so, so much wrong with that I can't even begin to take you seriously. First off, homosexuality may have been an impediment in the Stone Ages (where homophobia belongs), but we have a population growing at unbelievable speeds. The fostering system is crumbling under the weight of children without parents or a suitable home life. Gay people are helping you all, so be grateful - imagine if the entire world was 100% straight... the rates of population growth would be unbelievable, and resources would be even more stretched than the way they are now? Maybe homosexuality 'evolved' as a way of checking population growth? Like secondly you say 'how does it benefit anyone?' but that's just a crock of s***, why does it need to benefit anyone? If someone's gay, and they accept who they are, their sexuality isn't done as a benefit but it's a part of who they are and they can't change it, and they're certainly not doing it to help you and your life. That's like asking why someone with brown hair has brown hair if it doesn't benefit them. It's just how they are, you sockmonkey.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
95% of the time faith comes from indoctrination through your parents, if you were born with Christian parents you would be a Christian.

While I'll agree that your parents religion does have an impact on what religion you will follow I still maintain that once you believe in said religion, that belief is not controllable, I can't just switch it off.

My point still stands that most people accept other people, I accept that some people take drugs, some people drink alcohol and some people like sleeping with the same sex. I however should not feel forced to support and encourage their behaviour, which to me is immoral and goes against God.

Too much pressure is being placed on heterosexuals these days to support and agree with the act of homosexuality.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EternalLight
Too much pressure is being placed on heterosexuals these days to support and agree with the act of homosexuality.

This is a fair point, and I agree. Honestly, as long as you (generally, not you specifically) don't openly shame me or try to convince me I'm wrong/unnatural, or otherwise have an impact on my life in a negative way due to my sexuality, it's all chill :smile:
Original post by Dot.Cotton
I do not accept homosexuality because I am a Christian, and homosexuals are lacking in some of the things that really mean everything to me, and my faith - morals, values, loyalty, dignity, courage, etc. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for a reason.

??? Have you ever met a gay person ???

Lacking in your morals? I've never wanted to murder a baby, steal from my family, cheat on a partner, sh*t myself in public or run away from a kidnapping just because of one part of my identity? I'm so confused?
While I'll agree that your parents religion does have an impact on what religion you will follow I still maintain that once you believe in said religion, that belief is not controllable, I can't just switch it off.

My point still stands that most people accept other people, I accept that some people take drugs, some people drink alcohol, some people are Christian and some people like sleeping with the same sex. I however should not feel forced to support and encourage their behaviour, which to me is immoral and goes against God.

You know why there is this apparent "pressure" to accept homosexuality? Because people who had no choice to be gay (yes, this may surprise you! People don't choose their sexuality) are completely and utterly discriminated against in the majority of countries worldwide. The fact that you compare homosexuality to narcotic behaviour astonishes me. Homosexuality is present in more than 500 animals on earth. The reason you may feel soooooo hard done by to accept homosexuality is because you're ignoring nature and scientific discovery.

Don't you dare make yourself, a straight person, the victim in this when gay people for example are put to death in Islamic countries because a twisted belief enforces the death penalty on something which the recipient had no choice over.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
I do not accept homosexuality because I am a Christian, and homosexuals are lacking in some of the things that really mean everything to me, and my faith - morals, values, loyalty, dignity, courage, etc. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for a reason.

Everything you just said there was incorrect.

You just used Sodom and Gomorrah as an example of homosexuality, I think you need to educate yourself on the bible.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
People don't choose their sexuality)

I know they don't choose their sexuality, humans are naturally attracted to beauty. I am straight but I know a beautiful woman when I see one.

The issue arises when they ACT upon those desires. Being attracted to the same sex isn't a sin in Islam, acting on it is. The solution then is to have some self control over your desires and don't engage in the act, from a religious standpoint anyway.

My point still stands that most people accept other people, I accept that some people take drugs, some people drink alcohol, some people are Christian and some people like sleeping with the same sex. I however should not feel forced to support and encourage their behaviour, which to me is immoral and goes against God.

Are you saying that being Christian is immoral?

And there is NO pressure whatsoever, maybe you feel that way, but nowhere not once have I ever witnessed/heard of people being forced to support 'the act of homosexuality', it's more like the other way round.
Original post by Nathan Scott
Are you saying that being Christian is immoral?

I will edit out Christianity, I didn't mean to include that with the word immoral. That's my mistake.

And there is NO pressure whatsoever, maybe you feel that way, but nowhere not once have I ever witnessed/heard of people being forced to support 'the act of homosexuality', it's more like the other way round.

There is pressure right here on this thread lol. There is pressure in the schools, within society generally.
I don't have a problem with it. We're all different, and so we can't expect everyone to be heterosexual. We should respect people regardless of whether they are straight, gay or trans. Everyone experiences the world differently.
The issue arises when they ACT upon those immoral desires. Being attracted to the same sex isn't a sin in Islam, acting on it is. The solution then is to have some self control over your desires and don't engage in the act, from a religious standpoint anyway.

So gay people have to remain repressed and celibate because it's icky to you and your Sky Man?
Original post by blue2337
1. and 2. it's clearly natural due to the fact that homosexuality is found in hundreds of animal species all over the world. Swans can be gay... If you're taking defects as your reason and lambasting homosexuals for being outside of the 'norm', I'm pretty sure brown eyes were originally a defect? Our pancreas has become a defect, because it's good for nothing except exploding, and yet we don't rail against that? Humans weren't meant to survive cancer and yet we've been working f*cking hard to fix that.

3. If by celebrating you mean having things like gay pride, pride is necessary not because The Gays are saying they're better than straight people, but because it's a way of a community uniting which has been tormented by laws, homophobia, violence and murder for decades. Of course they're going to want to get together and feel proud about a part of their identity they've grown up believing is a defect, makes them unworthy or less than other people. Imagine if people arbitrarily chose another trait to vilify others over - big nose? You're disgusting and should hang for it. You'd grow up believing you were so much worse than everyone else, trying to hide or change your nose, when the only reason people are attacking you is because it's something we've chosen to dislike. If you think we celebrate homosexuality now, read some Greek lit. Socrates, Virgil, Plato? All into that gay s***. All of 'em.

See my previous point about the Greeks, they were gay as heck all the time and yet people study classics like The Aeneid and Plato's Symposium all the time? Also, literally by using the word 'queer' you're showing how little you understand it... in a pejorative context that is. Believe it or not, not many gay people like the label queer, especially being said by a straight person, because that word has been used to literally justify murder in the past. You have no idea about it not being representative, imagine how gay people feel? Every single time they see a film it's like, oh, right, this is nice, more straight people. It really sucks growing up with so little to relate to. There's the "One in 10" rule which is basically like, there's probably about 10% of the population who are gay, and that's only people choosing to identify with it or be honest, I think you'd find far more people who are either bi or bicurious. So no, it's hardly overrepresentative, and that representation is often the best thing gay people get. So suck it up. If we deal with your straight drama, you can at least hold down your vomit over two consenting adults of the same gender having their own screen time.

@ Mods how can I change my name to Failure of Nature I'd really like that thank you.

But for real, are you seriously arguing that procreation is every person's sole goal in life? Are you serious? There is so, so much wrong with that I can't even begin to take you seriously. First off, homosexuality may have been an impediment in the Stone Ages (where homophobia belongs), but we have a population growing at unbelievable speeds. The fostering system is crumbling under the weight of children without parents or a suitable home life. Gay people are helping you all, so be grateful - imagine if the entire world was 100% straight... the rates of population growth would be unbelievable, and resources would be even more stretched than the way they are now? Maybe homosexuality 'evolved' as a way of checking population growth? Like secondly you say 'how does it benefit anyone?' but that's just a crock of s***, why does it need to benefit anyone? If someone's gay, and they accept who they are, their sexuality isn't done as a benefit but it's a part of who they are and they can't change it, and they're certainly not doing it to help you and your life. That's like asking why someone with brown hair has brown hair if it doesn't benefit them. It's just how they are, you sockmonkey.

The sexual offences act was the worst piece of legislation to ever go through parliament, they have tried to promote gay through tv programmes and celebrities who are gay, my thinking behind it is the establishment have a hand in it to keep births low.
The sexual offences act was the worst piece of legislation to ever go through parliament, they have tried to promote gay through tv programmes and celebrities who are gay, my thinking behind it is the establishment have a hand in it to keep births low.

"Tried to promote gay"

Babe the government can try to promote "gay" if they want but they aren't going to magically turn straight people gay - if you're born gay, that's that, if you're straight, no number of gay people on your sh*te daytime dramas will make you A Gay
I will edit out Christianity, I didn't mean to include that with the word immoral. That's my mistake.

There is pressure right here on this thread lol. There is pressure in the schools, within society generally.

There is no pressure on this thread, no one has told you what to believe, and you seem to be confusing promiscuous behaviour with being gay - not the same thing.

What pressure have you experienced in school? - honestly never heard anyone say that before.

And with the whole society thing I'm not quite sure about that either, I mean sure some people can be quite aggressive on both sides when it comes to personal views - some people will probably show their disagreement with you on a strong level. But the majority of people don't really care - I guess it depends on where you live as well I guess.
I know they don't choose their sexuality, humans are naturally attracted to beauty. I am straight but I know a beautiful woman when I see one.

The issue arises when they ACT upon those immoral desires. Being attracted to the same sex isn't a sin in Islam, acting on it is. The solution then is to have some self control over your desires and don't engage in the act, from a religious standpoint anyway.

Acting upon these desires is also natural though? They go hand in hand. You experience sexual attraction because you want to have sex with this person. I don't get why it's sinful if they consensually act upon it?
Original post by blue2337
"Tried to promote gay"

Babe the government can try to promote "gay" if they want but they aren't going to magically turn straight people gay - if you're born gay, that's that, if you're straight, no number of gay people on your sh*te daytime dramas will make you A Gay

No some people are swayed- it is unnatural and should be outlawed like it was pre 1967
No some people are swayed- it is unnatural and should be outlawed like it was pre 1967

Babes if they say they were turned gay by a TV show/celebrity..... chances are they were already gay.....
Original post by Anonymous
wut lol
how is any of that relevant

Those are things that we as an advanced, intelligent species, have deliberately created in order to better ourselves and our species. We now live longer, healthier, and safer lives as a result.

How does homosexuality benefit anyone? It means someone is incapable of fulfilling their goal in life. Gay people are a failure of nature. No offence.

By "natural" I don't mean it is physically unnatural, evidently it exists and does not seem like it was man made. But it is not healthy or normal, in the same way that any other defect or illness is not healthy despite it being naturally caused.

i am gay and christian and i actually agree with everything you have said above im not proud of what i am as i am going against god and my faith is so strong with god and i hope i am saved yh its true god made adam and eve not adam and steve but personally i cant help who i fall in love with i hope god forgives me

Or maybe it's because it is part of society?

Quick Reply

Latest