The Roman Empire - how the hell did ITALIANS get to rule the World???Watch
... my only thought is that look who the opposition was - the Greeks, without Alexander.
The reason for the decline in Italian civilisation after the war 15th century is to do with divisions among city states and decline in trust in the papacy
But I'm no historian!
Sadly there were no big scientific breakthroughs from the Roman era but they couldn't care less eh?
Now let's see the EU empire last 500 years like they did
Lots of things go into it, organizational skills, economic factors, geographical factors, demographics, the lot. The organization of the Roman army certainly played a big role in overpowering everyone apart from the Germanic tribes, the political and economic structure and stability behind it made it possible to be more organized than anybody else.
The current Italians (and Greeks) have almost nothing in common with their ancestors or antiquity, but just cling on to the trappings of greatness. Today's Greeks have nothing to do with Alexander or Sophocles, any more than Alexander was related to Achilles. The fall of the Empire was because Romans turned decadant and soft, and what you have now are probably the world's most overrated people / country.
The Romans most likely looked nothing like modern day Italians.
The Romans obliterated every culture they conquered and other ethnic groups assimilated into their own. They were arguably the most technologically advanced nation on Earth. After the Marian reforms their army modernised and they could defeat other armies with ease with superior tactics and equipment.
- Highly-skilled, expertly-trained legions which were in turn lead by some of the most gifted commanders in the Ancient World.
- Assimilation and acceptance of other cultures and people into their fold, thereby preventing dissent and allowing for more steady expansion.
- Superb administrative and bureaucratic systems which resulted in great organizational efficiency.
- Constant self-improvement and utilization of superior methods, regardless of their origin.
- Absolute and utter ruthlessness and cruelty along with willingness to use any means to achieve their ends.