Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

First ever interview - what to expect? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 16 and looking for a part time job for the summer. I've applied to a lot of places, and today I heard back from Wilkinson's, inviting me for an interview. This is my first ever job interview so I've not a clue what to expect - has anyone got any advice? Also, what sort of thing should I wear? (I'm a girl).

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Smart clothing - blouse and skirt/trousers not jeans. Read up on the job description and know how to relate the skills they want to past experience such as at school

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Research the company and the role. You'll be asked questions on why you applied, your ambitions, your strengths and weaknesses, your knowledge about the company and the role.

A good place to start is on Glassdoor. People post their interview experience so do include it as a part of your preparation as you may find that people give hints on what is likely to be asked.
    https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Intervie...ons-E29001.htm

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear trainers or jeans. You want to look like you are serious about the interview. When I had an interview for a similar sort of thing (a Saturday job nothing too serious), I wore a suit. They will ask you why you want to work there, what qualities make you good for this position, what qualities you think are needed for this position, what would you do if there was a difficult customer, your own strengths and weaknesses etc etc. And then they will ask you if you have any questions and you really want to have some prepared, it won't look good if you say you don't.
    There are some possible questions they might ask and questions you could ask them here:

https://www.thebalance.com/retail-cu...erview-2061220

ReputationRep:
    Remember to relate everything to your school experiences.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.