Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is it to get into the Diploma in professional legal practise in Scotland? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2:1 English degree and am thinking about starting a graduate conversion LLB course, however I don't want to spend all that money if competition is so intense and risk not getting a place.

Also if I do get onto the course, how competitive are the traineeships to get into after. I am hoping to go to Edinburgh Uni.

Any help or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Keek,

Hope you don’t mind us jumping in on this thread but thought we might be able to help!

You’re right, competition is intense. Diploma providers will look at your first sitting grades in professional subjects during the LLB, not just at your final degree classification, but if you got good grades in those subjects then you’d be off to the right start. Funding is also an issue – as you say, the Diploma is expensive! However, some law firms fund their trainees through their Diploma and some students choose to work part-time as they study. Also, SAAS offers postgraduate funding (a tuition fee loan of £5,500 and a “living cost” loan of £4,500), and some banks offer Professional and Career Development Loans that Diploma students are eligible to apply for.

There is also a lot of competition for traineeships and not everybody who completes the Diploma has a traineeship by the end. At Glasgow, we try to help our students as much as we can here, for example by advertising jobs, running networking events with lawyers, and giving workshops on CV drafting and interview skills.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any questions!

UoG Diploma Team

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.