The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find the idea of buffets unhygenic?

I don't know how people do it and the thought of it is pretty nasty. Like getting food from a place where people might have sneezed and coughed on the food. Is it the fact that they are usually cheap is what draws people in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's the fact that it's good value and there's lots of varieties that draws people in. I don't go too often though.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
It's the fact that it's good value and there's lots of varieties that draws people in. I don't go too often though.

hmm true I guess. Super unhygienic though so its offputting.
It's not something I've ever thought about, I get drawn in because I can eat a lot and usually fill my plate 6 times over.
Thanks for ruining buffets for me :smile:
Original post by loveleest
I don't know how people do it and the thought of it is pretty nasty. Like getting food from a place where people might have sneezed and coughed on the food. Is it the fact that they are usually cheap is what draws people in?

I don't like them for the same reasons. I feel like the food has been sitting out for ages and anything that looks remotely appetising goes so quickly and then you have to wait for them to replace it -_-
It's a no from me
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
I don't like them for the same reasons. I feel like the food has been sitting out for ages and anything that looks remotely appetising goes so quickly and then you have to wait for them to replace it -_-
It's a no from me

Yeah, and that too. Like flies and stuff could have been all over the food aswell :/

Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Thanks for ruining buffets for me :smile:

Sorry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, and that to. Like flies and stuff could have been all over the food aswell :/

Sorry.

Apology accepted
Not really.

The risk from buffets comes from not storing the food at the correct temperature. As long as they are following regulations, I don't see a problem with buffets.
Reply 9
Original post by Quantex
Not really.

The risk from buffets comes from not storing the food at the correct temperature. As long as they are following regulations, I don't see a problem with buffets.

But peoples lurgeees and stuff might have went there.
well i guess if you think about it, at school and stuff in the canteen, the food is exposed to air and lots of people walking by and potentially coughing, sneezing, and definitely talking over the food anyway. plus, you never know what the conditions could've been like in the kitchen anyway, where there's an equal chance of flies and chefs talking over the food etc, although i'm sure that there haven't been any significant threats posed by buffet food since the restaurants seem alrightly rated and stuff anyway :smile: the only thing that bothers me a bit is that everyone touches the same food handles which is of course unhygienic... gotta love hand sanitisers
But peoples lurgeees and stuff might have went there.

If that bothers you, I probably should not tell you what happens when microbiologists check keyboards or door handles for indicators of fecal matter.
Reply 12
Original post by Quantex
If that bothers you, I probably should not tell you what happens when microbiologists check keyboards or door handles for indicators of fecal matter.

ewwwwwwwwwww :frown: This is why I carry my hand sanitizer at all times!!
The thing with buffets is that, there's loads of options but it's all either really average or ****.

I don't get the appeal.
I worry about the tong things cos everyone has touched them omg
Reply 15
Original post by Lord Samosa
The thing with buffets is that, there's loads of options but it's all either really average or ****.

I don't get the appeal.

True, very poor quality food. Last time I went was 3 years ago and never again lol.
I just worry about everything god knows where peoples hands where before they touched that bread smh
Yes! I don't know why but I've always found then gross... 😝
Original post by Quantex
Funny how you can spell "microbiologists" but not "faecal."

Exposure in small everyday ways like that is unavoidable, however good one's hygiene is. It's also not likely to be a real problem at the tiny levels you'd see.
Reply 19
Original post by Tootles
Funny how you can spell "microbiologists" but not "faecal."

Exposure in small everyday ways like that is unavoidable, however good one's hygiene is. It's also not likely to be a real problem at the tiny levels you'd see.

Do you eat at buffets?

Quick Reply

Latest