The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever transferred into 2nd year law?

Hi!

I am planning to study law LLB at a university in London (Unsure which at the moment but thinking about Royal Holloway or City) but I think I want to try to transfer to a better university in the second year. Has anyone ever done this? I hear it is pretty hard to do because of the modules you study (in different order at each university) and some unis, like LSE or Kings, don't accept law transfers at all.

If you have (or tried and didn't succeed) please share your experience!! :smile:
Thanks
Its possible in theory, but you will just have to check the entrance policy for each uni to see what they say.

You will need excellent results and a referee plus your first year needs to match theirs.

As its London then there are only so many others you can check? UCL, QM?
It would be very difficult with Law because different unis do modules at different times. It's worth a try I suppose.
Yes the difficulty is the difference in timing for the modules, because the LLB requires you do a certain amount of modules for it to be qualifying, and unis differ when they spread out these required modules. Couldn't you just start from first year again? It's a year lost but you'll have the advantage above the other first years in terms of experience.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexandraW96
Yes the difficulty is the difference in timing for the modules, because the LLB requires you do a certain amount of modules for it to be qualifying, and unis differ when they spread out these required modules. Couldn't you just start from first year again? It's a year lost but you'll have the advantage above the other first years in terms of experience.

If I had some extra 15 000 pounds laying around somewhere I would definitely! Hahahh
Original post by babyelf13
If I had some extra 15 000 pounds laying around somewhere I would definitely! Hahahh

Student loan? Every student gets one 'gift' year, if you're serious about changing university it's worth considering
Original post by AlexandraW96
Student loan? Every student gets one 'gift' year, if you're serious about changing university it's worth considering

She hasn't started university yet, so wouldn't a gap year+reapplying be better than repeating first year twice? Assuming that she is not happy with her current options, of course.
Original post by Insecable
She hasn't started university yet, so wouldn't a gap year+reapplying be better than repeating first year twice? Assuming that she is not happy with her current options, of course.

Ohh I see yes, I guess I was thinking if you wanted to start first year just in case you didn't want to gap year. Depending on your grades + plan for gap year + willingness to delay university for a year, this could be optimal way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest