The Student Room Group

Masters Independent Study

Hey,

Is anyone who is starting a Masters in September already started to think about their Thesis topic?

I'm having such a hard time with mine, trying to narrow my focus and think of a realistic approach.

I see that some forums suggest not thinking about Uni until it starts, but I've been out of education for five years and I'm finding not having a clear idea of what I'm doing is making me very anxious.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Hi, I'm in the same sort of boat. Going to doing a Masters from Sept after graduating 12 years ago. Will be studying a subject I've not studied before so Turing to read around the subject and start to think about my thesis. I've managed to get a hold of the reading list and have downloaded some free ones in PDFs on line. Surprisingly, I've found quite a few (Don't tell the copy right police!). As I already live in the city I'm going to be studying in,I've asked if I can use the uni library over the summer. I am allowed a visitors pass and can look at stuff in there but not take anything out. I plan to look at some old thesis for ideas and also get familiar with where everything is. I guess I'm just trying to read around the subject at the moment and hope to home in my interest when I've learnt a bit more about the subject.

Good luck to you.
Reply 2
I chickened out and applied only after I had a fantastic, unknown source to analyze. But I'm guessing that if they accepted you without a firm proposal, someone will suggest something to you when you get there. The trick will be finding that person when he/she is not stuck in cliche mode.
Reply 3
Original post by Chiara Esmeralda
Hi, I'm in the same sort of boat. Going to doing a Masters from Sept after graduating 12 years ago. Will be studying a subject I've not studied before so Turing to read around the subject and start to think about my thesis. I've managed to get a hold of the reading list and have downloaded some free ones in PDFs on line. Surprisingly, I've found quite a few (Don't tell the copy right police!). As I already live in the city I'm going to be studying in,I've asked if I can use the uni library over the summer. I am allowed a visitors pass and can look at stuff in there but not take anything out. I plan to look at some old thesis for ideas and also get familiar with where everything is. I guess I'm just trying to read around the subject at the moment and hope to home in my interest when I've learnt a bit more about the subject.

Good luck to you.

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Like you, I have been using the local Uni library as since I graduated from there, I have an associate reader card which gives me access to loan books, etc.

I feel prepared in a lot of ways for September, with the exception of my thesis. I know the topic I want to study, but my research indicates a lot of ground has already been covered and where the research is lacking, it would be impossible to get access to an appropriate sample.

I'm sure it will work out, just don't like the idea that term starts in 7 weeks and I still don't really know what I'm doing.

What course are you going to be studying studying?
I am absolutely in thesame boat as you. I finished B.sc 7 years ago, now starting Masters in September. I am a bit agitated to be honest
Original post by Alan88
Hey,

Is anyone who is starting a Masters in September already started to think about their Thesis topic?

I'm having such a hard time with mine, trying to narrow my focus and think of a realistic approach.

I see that some forums suggest not thinking about Uni until it starts, but I've been out of education for five years and I'm finding not having a clear idea of what I'm doing is making me very anxious.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm doing an MRes in September, which is a little bit different as me and my supervisor have been in contact since October last year and have planned the experiments/ research we are going to conduct, also I have met up with him a few days ago to go over everything. I have also just started completing my ethics form for our first study. Doing these things now will make it easier for me come September as I will be able to start collecting data straight away. However, if you are doing a taught master's I would recommend not doing anything until you officially start. If you are struggling to think of a topic though maybe you should meet with your supervisor and ask for advice.
I am absolutely in thesame boat as you. I finished B.sc 7 years ago, now starting Masters in September. I am a bit agitated to be honest
It's way too early to be thinking about this if you're doing a taught masters. Seriously, take a break.

The likelihood is that your thesis will be partially, probably very strongly, informed by content that you cover during the first few modules of your course. Trying to come up with something now is not going to be a sensible use of your time. You will have a supervisor/advisor whose JOB will be to help you come up with a thesis topic. Your uni will probably advise that you want to have a vague idea of what to write about come December/January. Don't stew over your thesis now - make the most of your last few months of freedom, then concentrate on getting oriented to the course, build a social network, get into the habits of academic life.

A piece of advice - work/life balance is really important for a masters course that's largely independent study. Be disciplined with yourself about knowing when is appropriate to work and when is not. I'm just finishing, and I've seen a lot of my peers get into really unhealthy headspaces because they don't know when to/feel like they shouldn't switch off. It's really unnecessary.

Masters courses are generally not particularly difficult. Speaking from experience, if you've been holding down jobs for the last few years you will likely already have the discipline and self-motivation to put all the requisite hours in. If you can manage a 35 hour workweek on average, you'll have no difficulties (might have to be willing to put in some extra hours during peak periods/deadline log jams, but that's OK). Don't go down the road of worrying prematurely before you've even started - with independent study you are your own worst enemy, and psychological hygiene is really important.
Reply 8
Original post by sebapplause63

I'm glad it's not just me! It's reassuring to know others are feeling the same.

What are you going back to study?
Reply 9
Original post by Cubone-r
I'm doing an MRes in September, which is a little bit different as me and my supervisor have been in contact since October last year and have planned the experiments/ research we are going to conduct, also I have met up with him a few days ago to go over everything. I have also just started completing my ethics form for our first study. Doing these things now will make it easier for me come September as I will be able to start collecting data straight away. However, if you are doing a taught master's I would recommend not doing anything until you officially start. If you are struggling to think of a topic though maybe you should meet with your supervisor and ask for advice.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I don't have an allocated Supervisor yet as I haven't even enrolled. You don't get assigned a Supervisior until they know what you want to research and try and pair you with the best possible academic. I know the area I want to research, I'm just atruggling to narrow my thinking and be realistic about the type of sample I'm going to be able to use for my research.
Reply 10
Original post by worldender
It's way too early to be thinking about this if you're doing a taught masters. Seriously, take a break.

The likelihood is that your thesis will be partially, probably very strongly, informed by content that you cover during the first few modules of your course. Trying to come up with something now is not going to be a sensible use of your time. You will have a supervisor/advisor whose JOB will be to help you come up with a thesis topic. Your uni will probably advise that you want to have a vague idea of what to write about come December/January. Don't stew over your thesis now - make the most of your last few months of freedom, then concentrate on getting oriented to the course, build a social network, get into the habits of academic life.

A piece of advice - work/life balance is really important for a masters course that's largely independent study. Be disciplined with yourself about knowing when is appropriate to work and when is not. I'm just finishing, and I've seen a lot of my peers get into really unhealthy headspaces because they don't know when to/feel like they shouldn't switch off. It's really unnecessary.

Masters courses are generally not particularly difficult. Speaking from experience, if you've been holding down jobs for the last few years you will likely already have the discipline and self-motivation to put all the requisite hours in. If you can manage a 35 hour workweek on average, you'll have no difficulties (might have to be willing to put in some extra hours during peak periods/deadline log jams, but that's OK). Don't go down the road of worrying prematurely before you've even started - with independent study you are your own worst enemy, and psychological hygiene is really important.

Hi,

Thanks for your really detailed response.

The main reason why I feel so stressed is because the first module I study is Applied Research Methods, which is assessed by your ethical approval form and an miniature literature review. So, my understanding is that I'm not going to have a great deal of time after September to think about what I want to do, I'm going to need to have an idea much sooner.

I hear what you are saying though, I'm going to calm down my research and stop stressing myself out. I'm hoping that in the first few weeks of term, the academics can help me focus my topic.
Original post by Alan88
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I don't have an allocated Supervisor yet as I haven't even enrolled. You don't get assigned a Supervisior until they know what you want to research and try and pair you with the best possible academic. I know the area I want to research, I'm just atruggling to narrow my thinking and be realistic about the type of sample I'm going to be able to use for my research.

Well then, there's not much you can do until you start your course then, other than think about your research and how you might carry it out etc.
Original post by Alan88
Hi,

Thanks for your really detailed response.

The main reason why I feel so stressed is because the first module I study is Applied Research Methods, which is assessed by your ethical approval form and an miniature literature review. So, my understanding is that I'm not going to have a great deal of time after September to think about what I want to do, I'm going to need to have an idea much sooner.

OK. Not sure what the arrangements are, but I did a similar course (Principles of Research Design), where the assessment was a research proposal - as long it was a research proposal, it didn't matter whether you used that proposal for your thesis or anything at all. You just had to be able to put one together (although I ended up using mine for PhD applications, which was handy). Is it something similar with yours - do you just have to put together a viable ethics form, or does it have to be the one that you'll use?

Lit reviews are pretty non-committal and a really good opportunity to just explore, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

Remember, everyone will be in the same boat as you.
Reply 13
Original post by worldender
OK. Not sure what the arrangements are, but I did a similar course (Principles of Research Design), where the assessment was a research proposal - as long it was a research proposal, it didn't matter whether you used that proposal for your thesis or anything at all. You just had to be able to put one together (although I ended up using mine for PhD applications, which was handy). Is it something similar with yours - do you just have to put together a viable ethics form, or does it have to be the one that you'll use?

Lit reviews are pretty non-committal and a really good opportunity to just explore, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

Remember, everyone will be in the same boat as you.

My understanding is it has to be the one you use, as the course leader said about it not being practical to change your topic due to the length of time ethical approval can take, but that might very well change.

Thanks again for getting back to me. I haven't found anyone doing the same course as me so have nobody to bounce ideas off.
Original post by Alan88
My understanding is it has to be the one you use, as the course leader said about it not being practical to change your topic due to the length of time ethical approval can take, but that might very well change.

Thanks again for getting back to me. I haven't found anyone doing the same course as me so have nobody to bounce ideas off.

I see - that's kind of tough! Best of luck anyway, I'm sure it will be absolutely fine :smile:
I'm probably going to freak you out here by telling you I am already onto it 😂 I start my taught Masters in September but I had to submit a detailed study proposal just to actually get an offer on the course.
My situation is a little different- finished my BA in May, just got results and straight onto Masters. I haven't worked in years (disabled) but I came from the Open University where all my study was independent.
It's a heck of a topic I've picked so I'm trying to get a head start!
Reply 16
Original post by princessmaire80
I'm probably going to freak you out here by telling you I am already onto it 😂 I start my taught Masters in September but I had to submit a detailed study proposal just to actually get an offer on the course.
My situation is a little different- finished my BA in May, just got results and straight onto Masters. I haven't worked in years (disabled) but I came from the Open University where all my study was independent.
It's a heck of a topic I've picked so I'm trying to get a head start!

Haha! Don't worry, thanks for being honest.

My friend has been accepted to Manchester and she is in a similar situation as you.

I think today I have finally figured out my topic so back on the research.

What course you doing?
Original post by Alan88
Haha! Don't worry, thanks for being honest.

My friend has been accepted to Manchester and she is in a similar situation as you.

I think today I have finally figured out my topic so back on the research.

What course you doing?

Ah I'm glad you've figured your topic!
My course is MA English at De Montfort University.
Reply 18
Original post by princessmaire80
Ah I'm glad you've figured your topic!
My course is MA English at De Montfort University.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending