Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, quick question on the EY ICAS structure.

Received an offer for Tax in London, starting September (woop!).

I'll be studying ICAS, and then CTA. According to the ICAS website, the nearest locations you can study at appear to be Reading or Cambridge. Does anyone know where EY send you to college for this - I may be wrong, they may just have some lecturers or whatever somewhere in London - i'm just curious.

Another Q - does anyone know the structure of study at EY? I know some firms do a blended study/work programme where you'll go to college a couple of days every couple of weeks etc. and have a few days off study leave before the exams, and others do more 'blocks' whereby you will go to college and private study for a few months at a time, sit the exams, and then back to work for a few months etc.

I'm sure these are questions that EY will answer upon starting, but just wondering if anyone that knows anything about the programme, or is currently/ has been through it, has any sort of heads up.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I work in one of the regional offices so can't comment on where you will do this in London.

That said, the training structures are all pretty much identical for EY grads doing ICAS in England.

Basically when you start in September you will be sent to college for about 6 weeks of intense study with the 7th week being exam week. You will do financial accounting, tax, audit and finance papers, which are all 40 multiple choice questions, except for financial accounting which is 24 questions and a long form question (P/L and BS). If you have never done these style of exams before then be prepared for some tough work. Unless you have done accounting before, you really need to get your head down for these 6 weeks and put the effort in. It's hard but when you finish it is all quite relieving.

You will then do business management and business law separately sometime between January and May and both of these are self study. EY will give you a week off work for both so you can solely focus on them.

You'll then do TPS (stage 2) of exams in August and then the following June and it's the same sort of story where you'll do 6 weeks of college before hand then do the exams after your intense study period. Again, these are even more difficult than stage 1, but if you get into the material early on then you should be fine.

After your 4 TPS exams you'll do TPE which is the final exam and is a case study. You will do these at the very beginning of your 3rd year.

No one really mentioned anything about the exams when we joined the firm so it was all a bit of a shock with the intensity and pressure, especially at TPS level, but once you get into it you'll go with the flow.

I think it is better to give you the blunt reality of the situation so you understand what you're getting yourself into. Yes it's difficult but in the long run it's worth the hard work. EY only really care about you passing the exams so as long as you do this you will find yourself in a good position after 3 years.

(Original post by egsesgses)

I'll be studying ICAS, and then CTA. According to the ICAS website, the nearest locations you can study at appear to be Reading or Cambridge. Does anyone know where EY send you to college for this - I may be wrong, they may just have some lecturers or whatever somewhere in London - i'm just curious.

Another Q - does anyone know the structure of study at EY? I know some firms do a blended study/work programme where you'll go to college a couple of days every couple of weeks etc. and have a few days off study leave before the exams, and others do more 'blocks' whereby you will go to college and private study for a few months at a time, sit the exams, and then back to work for a few months etc.

I'm sure these are questions that EY will answer upon starting, but just wondering if anyone that knows anything about the programme, or is currently/ has been through it, has any sort of heads up.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egsesgses)

Thanks!
    You don't say where your office is but assuming its London that is where you will go to college. The ICAS programme that EY do is an intensive course (college for a couple of months then all the exams), or at least it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where people based at EY in London Bridge study for the ACA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2286)
    Does anyone know where people based at EY in London Bridge study for the ACA?
    Assume it depends just as it does at my firm, but I have shared classes with EY people at Kaplan London Bridge before.

If EY still uses Kaplan for the ACA you may be based either in LB, Highbury or Hammersmith.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.