Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have a terrible posture that is quite hunched. When I look in a reflection it's terrible. Not sure how I've developed this.

So I need to address this now. Has anyone got any tips? I don't want to look awkward trying to force myself to stand straight either.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h1347698)
    I have a terrible posture that is quite hunched. When I look in a reflection it's terrible. Not sure how I've developed this.

So I need to address this now. Has anyone got any tips? I don't want to look awkward trying to force myself to stand straight either.
    Erm. I guess you should exercise more and head to the gym... Seems obvious but maybe that'll help.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this for quite some time myself. Get a friend to look out for you is my advise, that way you can correct your posture and have someone constantly remind you

ReputationRep:

Have you tried the Alexander technique? It's an easy everyday way to improve your posture.

ReputationRep:
    i know this sounds a bit silly but whenever you walk around the house, try to balance a book on your head. this will force you to stand up straight and over time sort out your posture

ReputationRep:
    A good way to stand and walk straight, without sticking your chest out or curving your back too much, is to focus on your abs.

If you tense your abs while standing, your body will take an upright position straight away, and your shoulders should roll back naturally. Now, I'm not saying that you should walk around with your abs tensed constantly, but if you feel like you're hunching over, tense your abs to remind yourself of the position your body should be in. Walk like that for 30 seconds or so, and then stop tensing.

Also, tensing is not the same as breathing in, so make sure you know the difference before you try this. If it's hurting or feeling uncomfortable every time you tense your abs, it means you're not letting your body stand upright and are putting a strain on them.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:

Yeah u got rounded shoulders / upper cross. I have the same like most do actually. It's cos hunch over too much using phone, computer etc. Basically some of ur muscles are tight and some weak so gotta stretch and strengthen. There are tonnes of videos on YT
    https://youtu.be/-RKyaDmzsnw

If u want my escerises I can tell u they worked well for me

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself some resistance bands so you can do band pull-aparts. Something that's not too thick, these will be good:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESISTANCE...s/270859737309

Have a look at this video as well for some advice on how to use them, watch the whole thing but pay particular attention to about 2:50 onwards

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.