Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

All my money on the bank account stolen, no idea what to do Watch

So this vile crime has left me with no words, it is clear the thieves were working in a group to try and teal my credit card. I was at Whitechapel on Saturday and since I ran out of money I went up to an ATM to withdraw money, however when I wanted to cancel my transaction the machine then went out of service and the card was somehow stuck in the machine, a few moments later a white guy came to me and said that the same thing happened to him as the machine can sometimes be ****ed, he told me to go to my bank for help, the guy was dressed smart but his teeth were yellow and he also looked high. I waited 15 mins near the ATM in the hope my card will come out but still no luck, I wanted to call the police but thought that they wouldn't care about problems like this so I left to go in a nearby shop, when I came out the bank card was gone, I didn't know if it was in the ATM or someone literally took it but I feared the worst.

It took me 1 hour and 45 mins to get home so I could shut down my account but it was too late, in this 1 hour and 45 mins the thieves used a whooping £1000 which was all the money in my account to but I phones, laptops from the online Apple Store and somehow they even knew my PIN as they withdrew £300 from the ATM, I was simply left in shock that I feel victim to a highly organized crime.
    So I have several questions to ask and hope that some of you might be able to help me answer them:
    First of all how did the thieves get a hold of my card if it was stuck in the ATM?
    Second how did the thieves know my PIN even though I checked around me and there was nobody looking over my shoulder?
    Third how do I claim my lost money back? Calling the police will be useless at this point
    Fourth who do you think could have stolen my card? It could have been that guy who tried to help me in my opinion
    Fifth which is the question that is the most puzzling, what actually happened? Did the thieves plan all of this from the start?

ReputationRep:
    I would still call the police.

ReputationRep:
    call the police immediately. your bank should refund you, but you have to go through the procedures...

ReputationRep:
    call the police and ring up your bank and ask for further advice

ReputationRep:
    You do need to call the police. And your bank. ATMs have cameras
    It will have been planned. The machine will have been tampered with. There will have been an external device over the slot which held your card and copied your pin.
    After you left the device and your card will have been removed and used immediately.
    You must always check the ATM slot looks ok before you use it
    You could be the victim of further theft using your card as id so it's vital you act asap.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a documentary on this once and some organised gangs use "replica" covers over the front of ATM machines that will essentially clone or swallow your card. They then use cameras to find out your pin or, if they have used a replica cover, I assume they can record which numbers you've pressed.

I think you're going to need to call both the police and your bank so they can launch an investigation. Hopefully you will get your money back!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Report this to your bank AND call the police immediately. Do not wait. Do it now ! Make sure you get a crime reference number from the police and report that to your bank as well.

There may well be gangs working in the area and unless people report the crime, no one knows the crime has been committed.

If the machine has been tampered with or even a bogus machine and the transactions are not your usual spending pattern, the bank should give you a full refund.

But you need to report it or else you will get nothing.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/new...-machine-apr16

ReputationRep:
    ATMs never behave strangely unless there is something criminal going on. You should have callled the bank or your credit card number first thing, to disable it. And then the police to tell them that an ATM had been hacked.

You still need to go to the police because it's more likely to get a refund from the bank if you show that something criminal was going on. Of course they planned it from the beginning and it was all set up, as they put a camera on the ATM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    ATMs never behave strangely unless there is something criminal going on.
    ATMs break all the time, they get so much usage it is bound to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by usualsuspects)
    ATMs never behave strangely unless there is something criminal going on. You should have callled the bank or your credit card number first thing, to disable it. And then the police to tell them that an ATM had been hacked.

You still need to go to the police because it's more likely to get a refund from the bank if you show that something criminal was going on. Of course they planned it from the beginning and it was all set up, as they put a camera on the ATM.
    I tried to disable it while I was still near my card but then the bank asked me for my account number, sort code etc... like WTF? My card has just been eaten by the ATM so how do you expect me to have the account number? My sort code also wasn't with me as I keep it at home and I just begged the bank to simply close the account but no exceptions, either I have the account number or sort code or nothing. So they left me with no choice and I had to go home in order to disable it but the damage was done, the bank should also be blamed for this in my opinion.

So I ringed up my bank and fortunately they gave me a refund so phew they said they will investigate this incident and work with the police in order to truck down the scumbags who did this to me HOWEVER they said that if they feel like I have been doing this whole incident by myself they are gonna take the refund away but of course I didn't do this by myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tried to disable it while I was still near my card but then the bank asked me for my account number, sort code etc... like WTF? My card has just been eaten by the ATM so how do you expect me to have the account number? My sort code also wasn't with me as I keep it at home and I just begged the bank to simply close the account but no exceptions, either I have the account number or sort code or nothing. So they left me with no choice and I had to go home in order to disable it but the damage was done, the bank should also be blamed for this in my opinion.

Surely you could've just logged into the app/ Online banking for those details?

(Original post by Jackieox)
    Surely you could've just logged into the app/ Online banking for those details?
    I wasn't aware of that and didn't sign up for online banking unfortunately

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.