Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help - balance between cardio and arm workout? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi im 19 and this summer i want to try and lose fat around my stomach but at the same time get bigger arms. ive been doing running to help lose fat but would this hinder getting bigger arms?

my arms are pretty small and i dont go gym but i have a pair of dumbells. has anyone got any tips or advice for me over the summer to get bigger arms? cheers

ReputationRep:
    Working just arms will result in muscle imbalance and might give rounded shoulders. Gotta go gym and get an all round plan. in my experience I couldn't burn fat and build muscle at same time so I bulked then cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool2044)
    Hi im 19 and this summer i want to try and lose fat around my stomach but at the same time get bigger arms. ive been doing running to help lose fat but would this hinder getting bigger arms?

my arms are pretty small and i dont go gym but i have a pair of dumbells. has anyone got any tips or advice for me over the summer to get bigger arms? cheers
    if you want muscle go gym. You could search on youtube workouts for triceps do dips and biceps do curls

ReputationRep:
    You "bulk" to put on muscle, and "cut" to shred the fat.

To "bulk", you must eat more calories, to "cut", you must eat fewer - In general.

You could "lean bulk" - Have a look for some sample diets... Would consist of clean high protein foods and complex carbs....

I would recommend bulking first - You'll be stronger at a bigger size, you'll also put on muscle easier and burn a little fat.... Then cut down.... Unless your reasons are time sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    Think that's your problem there, you really gotta go to the gym if you want to make any substantial progress.

A few myths about the gym debunked:

1. People stare at you all the time, as if you're some kind of unwelcome houseguest
    No, they don't. People are far too focused on their own routines to be doing this. No-one cares how you are acting at the gym so long as you conduct yourself sensibly.
    2. People actively taunt you about light the weight you are lifting is
    Nope, they don't, and this is for the sole reason that they remember having to lift that light to get started - I'm still lifting reasonably light, because I don't want an injury that will take me out of it permanently.
    3. Everyone's bigger than me so I shouldn't go
    Wrong - this myth probably came around because of the other two above. You just have to remember two things; that they've been going a lot longer than you, and they're more than happy to help

I do understand that going to the gym is a little daunting at first, but if you have the whole summer, why not try it out? So much better than lazing around at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupholder)
    Think that's your problem there, you really gotta go to the gym if you want to make any substantial progress.

A few myths about the gym debunked:

1. People stare at you all the time, as if you're some kind of unwelcome houseguest
    No, they don't. People are far too focused on their own routines to be doing this. No-one cares how you are acting at the gym so long as you conduct yourself sensibly.
    2. People actively taunt you about light the weight you are lifting is
    Nope, they don't, and this is for the sole reason that they remember having to lift that light to get started - I'm still lifting reasonably light, because I don't want an injury that will take me out of it permanently.
    3. Everyone's bigger than me so I shouldn't go
    Wrong - this myth probably came around because of the other two above. You just have to remember two things; that they've been going a lot longer than you, and they're more than happy to help

I do understand that going to the gym is a little daunting at first, but if you have the whole summer, why not try it out? So much better than lazing around at home.
    Thanks for that and the comments above. Financially at the moment gym doesnt really seem an option but ill do it when i get my student loan at uni, in the mean time i just want to try and get reasonably sized arms as they are pretty thin. i do a few home workouts but would running hinder the building of my arms? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that and the comments above. Financially at the moment gym doesnt really seem an option but ill do it when i get my student loan at uni, in the mean time i just want to try and get reasonably sized arms as they are pretty thin. i do a few home workouts but would running hinder the building of my arms? thanks
    Ah yeah, sorry I didn't answer your question.

In my opinion a balance between cardio and strength is the best thing - weightlifters who neglect cardio tend to struggle later on with things like dropsets (starting on a high weight and decreasing while doing the same amount of reps).

If you're training with those dumbbells for mass (meaning you're doing 8-10, up to 12 reps per set), I don't see why your arms would shrink from doing cardio.

But if you're only working arms and your cardiovascular system, you're gonna end up with huge muscular imbalances - there's very little you can do with just dumbbells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupholder)
    Ah yeah, sorry I didn't answer your question.

In my opinion a balance between cardio and strength is the best thing - weightlifters who neglect cardio tend to struggle later on with things like dropsets (starting on a high weight and decreasing while doing the same amount of reps).

If you're training with those dumbbells for mass (meaning you're doing 8-10, up to 12 reps per set), I don't see why your arms would shrink from doing cardio.

But if you're only working arms and your cardiovascular system, you're gonna end up with huge muscular imbalances - there's very little you can do with just dumbbells.
    Thanks that has helped alot, would stuff like push ups, planks, tricep dips help much? i downloaded an app recently which is a variety of exercises for 30 days there is a full body one and an arm one which give different workouts each day, maybe i try the full body one to avoid imbalance? then abit of dumbell work and cardio in between. i dont want to get really big, just my arms are pretty small so i kind of want them to be a reasonable size. But i also want to get fit again as ill try for the uni football team next year!

ReputationRep:
    Hold a dumbbell in each hand and do 3 sets of 12 bicep curls a day or every other day. If it's too easy, then you need to use a heavier weight. If you don't have heavier dumbbells, then increase your reps. You should feel this in your biceps. Also do 3 x 12 overhead presses again with the dumbbells, this is for triceps and shoulders. Make sure your back stays straight in both exercises, and that you're not leaning backwards and forwards with the weight. Arms are the easiest to train, and you should make gains without a surplus since you're new, so just eat to maintain for now, maybe add an extra 200 calories a day if you're not seeing any progress. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that has helped alot, would stuff like push ups, planks, tricep dips help much? i downloaded an app recently which is a variety of exercises for 30 days there is a full body one and an arm one which give different workouts each day, maybe i try the full body one to avoid imbalance? then abit of dumbell work and cardio in between. i dont want to get really big, just my arms are pretty small so i kind of want them to be a reasonable size. But i also want to get fit again as ill try for the uni football team next year!
    Just a word about bodyweight exercises like that - they definitely help to strengthen the core muscles, but they do not make your abs bigger or anything like that. Getting a six pack is all about fat loss (hence why I don't have one - I just love food too much ).

That bodyweight exercise routine is often referred to as 'calisthenics' - I personally don't see much benefit in it but if you can't sit still and can't go to the gym, then that's where it comes in.

I would say workout with those dumbbells and use the bodyweight routine for strength - it doesn't necessarily mean you will make gains, as they come from lifting weights, but it will help you to feel healthier!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.