The Student Room Group

Anyone else use this website to feel less lonely

Scroll to see replies

Whenever I see a notification I don't think "oh yay someone has taken note of my existence", I think "oh yay someone has just wasted a few minutes of their lives replying to a post of no intellectual value, they are now a few minutes closer to death" :h:
Reply 21
Original post by _gcx
Whenever I see a notification I don't think "oh yay someone has taken note of my existence", I think "oh yay someone has just wasted a few minutes of their lives replying to a post of no intellectual value, they are now a few minutes closer to death" :h:

Nah I always think the first way and it make sense me feel a bit happy so it's nice
I thought loneliness was the only reason why people joined.

:tsr:
Original post by fefssdf
Ok so idk I feel like when I'm lonely I tend to use this website to vent or ask questions cause I typically get a lot of responses when I post and then it makes me feel better cause I feel like people are acknowledging me and so it's nice

Anyone else use this website as a coping mechanism for being lonely and bored cause this summer is just so long and boring it seems. I'm not enjoying it.

Pretty much why I use most forums tbh, I basically just dig for information/older posts/questions via google to keep my brain active bc my friends are pretty dispersed around the UK/world so it's not easy to just chill out with them except for when I'm at uni.

But, even when I am busy I still like to hop on forums because I wouldn't know half the stuff I know if not for them. Hell, I wouldn't even have half the quality of network if not for meeting like-minded folks over these past ~6 years on this site.

I've frequented a hell of a lot of forums but nowadays I'm mostly on here or Reddit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
also another question has anyone else here met friends through tsr cause like idk personally I managed to sustain a friendship with someone i met off here for 3 years and we met in person 3 times also
Original post by fefssdf
also another question has anyone else here met friends through tsr cause like idk personally I managed to sustain a friendship with someone i met off here for 3 years and we met in person 3 times also

I met someone who used to be a regular here, 3 times irl. Not sure what happened to her now. Then I chatted up someone who wasn't a regular, and amazingly became this person's partner. (We still talk on other mediums so that's fine).
Are you still in touch with that person you met?
Same here. I suffer from Social Phobia and agorophobia/panic attacks. Although I know that I ought to be "getting out there" and meeting people, I find it incredibly uncomfortable and actually quite traumatic. On here I can be myself, find out useful stuff for my son, have a laugh [ or a moan] and, what I enjoy most on here and get the most out of , which is trying to help and advise people. It makes me feel useful and gives me a purpose.
Reply 27
Original post by shawn_o1
I met someone who used to be a regular here, 3 times irl. Not sure what happened to her now. Then I chatted up someone who wasn't a regular, and amazingly became this person's partner. (We still talk on other mediums so that's fine).
Are you still in touch with that person you met?

I was in touch with them up to a few weeks ago but I checked recently and they unfirended me on Facebook and seemed to have blocked my number too and it's all a bit odd... basically a while back we spoke on the phone and he said that this one time he was with his girlfriend and I rang him twice and he hasn't mentioned me before so then it looks very suspicious and so now I worry maybe his girlfriend has forced him to just block me from everything
It passes time. I watch TV, chAt on WhAtsapp & pop pn here to have & participate in topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
so i can say whatever i want and vent...and get to know more ppl
Reply 30
Original post by markova21
Same here. I suffer from Social Phobia and agorophobia/panic attacks. Although I know that I ought to be "getting out there" and meeting people, I find it incredibly uncomfortable and actually quite traumatic. On here I can be myself, find out useful stuff for my son, have a laugh [ or a moan] and, what I enjoy most on here and get the most out of , which is trying to help and advise people. It makes me feel useful and gives me a purpose.

Yeh honestly some times I will post stuff like advice wise and then when the person thanks you if makes you feel like you're actually being productive with your time and helping someone out.
loneliness is a social construct
Reply 32
Original post by gr8wizard10
loneliness is a social construct

Yeh I mean idk it's up to you how to spend your time
I get what ur saying :thumbsup:

Irl i feel like the person whos there that people say hi to and are nice to but never properly care about, no-one really misses you if youre not there....
So here I'm happy that I managed to find some people who for some reason find me interesting and care about my existence, it gives you a nice feeling :h:

Just realised this sounds proper depressing :eek:
I used to. And it did help. Now I just use it when bored tbh.
Original post by fefssdf

Lol, loadssssssss.

From the year 11/12/13 threads, to the IB forum to random group chats with TSRians. Tons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I get what ur saying :thumbsup:

Irl i feel like the person whos there that people say hi to and are nice to but never properly care about, no-one really misses you if youre not there....
So here I'm happy that I managed to find some people who for some reason find me interesting and care about my existence, it gives you a nice feeling :h:

Just realised this sounds proper depressing :eek:

Yeh I agree like idk I feel like people wouldn't be that bothered if they didn't see me again type thing
Original post by fefssdf
Honestly like idk what's happening but suddenly now I haven't been to uni for a month the activity on the group chat has just come to a standstill and my friends don't seem bothered to talk to me

Tis natural, they have their own lives to live after all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Precious Illusions
I used to. And it did help. Now I just use it when bored tbh.

Yeh same I mean my social life is non actually sort of reasonable whereas before it didn't exist however times like today when I was just home alone and nothing planned I couldn't help but go on here and make some posts
Reply 39
Original post by Princepieman
Tis natural, they have their own lives to live after all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh exactly and tbh I feel like people kinda end up feeling as if they should just not be active cause they don't wanna be seen to have like no friends outside of uni...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending