Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who am I? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever just ask yourself this question?

Now school is over I finally realised I have nothing to do and I’ve realised I’ve lost a lot of my personality along the way, I’ve not gotten new music, my hobbies are basically non existent, my clothes all seem boring and not what I want, idk maybe I’m just having an identity crisis lol but seriously I just feel incomplete lately… where do I start ‘finding’ myself?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, am trying to find myself now. Don't know when I will though.

ReputationRep:
    I've often asked myself the same question. Hopefully one day I'll find the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Idk who i am. Dw
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Finding oneself involves conquering various fears/doubts that hold us back. It's that moment when you break free and do things that you never thought you could that you begin to feel a sense of purpose.

You're obviously a product of all the little things that make you who you are (aspects of your personality, etc), but you need to bring that all together. This can only be done by eliminating fear and doubt as much as possible.

For example, you say your hobbies are 'non-existent', but what would you really like to do? You say your clothes are 'boring', but what would you really want to wear? And what's holding you back from all of that?

Food for thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Strange)
    Finding oneself involves conquering various fears/doubts that hold us back. It's that moment when you break free and do things that you never thought you could that you begin to feel a sense of purpose.

You're obviously a product of all the little things that make you who you are (aspects of your personality, etc), but you need to bring that all together. This can only be done by eliminating fear and doubt as much as possible.

For example, you say your hobbies are 'non-existent', but what would you really like to do? You say your clothes are 'boring', but what would you really want to wear? And what's holding you back from all of that?

Food for thought
    I guess I know what that fear is, it’s mostly self-conscious. I’ve always delayed things because of it, I’ve thought I’ll change this about myself (like lose weight or build muscle) then I’ll buy new clothes, or I’ll wait for my skin to look better then I’ll consider doing something nice with my hair.

I think that’s also the problem, I don’t like the little things that made. I’ve spent ages trying to prevent ‘the past’ from defining me that now I’m basically an empty shell

As for hobbies, I do love photography, drawing, painiting, music, football, golfing so I guess I was over exaggerating, I just don’t pursue them as much as I like which is because I don’t have similar friends to me, I guess that comes back to me not being myself. How can I attract people like me if I’m not being me… I guess everything comes down to being self-conscious

ReputationRep:
    Don't find who you are, create who you choose to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    I've often asked myself the same question. Hopefully one day I'll find the answer.
    (Original post by starfab)
    Idk who i am. Dw
    Do you not feel driven to change that?

I’ve woken up everyday this week with a pain in my stomach because of how bad it’s made me feel… am I overreacting or do you ever feel that way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Beautifully said. 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)

I’ve woken up everyday this week with a pain in my stomach because of how bad it’s made me feel… am I overreacting or do you ever feel that way?
    I really want to change it but I've not been motivated to do so.

I feel depressed that I don't really know my true self yet

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same, I'm the complete opposite of who I thought I'd be by now. I feel like all my clothes don't seem to match my personality, I've no idea where I'm heading in life - if you figure something out let me know lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Well said! I guess that is what I’ve been doing, I’m keen to not let the past define me except where I’ve had great times but as a whole it feels so difficult because Im trying to work from scratch

ReputationRep:
    In my time I've often had to go by many identities for myself, I've gone by quite a few names. I guess I've lived so long living in other identities that I never really found myself.

That's something I've learnt to accept.

who am i?idek.i'm just going with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    who am i?idek.i'm just going with the flow.
    Living in auto pilot is so unfulfilling
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I guess I know what that fear is, it’s mostly self-conscious. I’ve always delayed things because of it, I’ve thought I’ll change this about myself (like lose weight or build muscle) then I’ll buy new clothes, or I’ll wait for my skin to look better then I’ll consider doing something nice with my hair.

I think that’s also the problem, I don’t like the little things that made. I’ve spent ages trying to prevent ‘the past’ from defining me that now I’m basically an empty shell

As for hobbies, I do love photography, drawing, painiting, music, football, golfing so I guess I was over exaggerating, I just don’t pursue them as much as I like which is because I don’t have similar friends to me, I guess that comes back to me not being myself. How can I attract people like me if I’m not being me… I guess everything comes down to being self-conscious
    Awww, at least you know what it is. I don't see what there is to be self-conscious about because there's absolutely no shame in any of that In fact, it's a matter of pride because those things show courage and a desire to express yourself (the arts in particular).

It's not something that you can do in one go, though. It's just a case of taking small steps over a period of time. For instance, one day you might decide to join a gym, and another day you might add a few things to your wardrobe, etc, etc.

But by thinking we have to rush to do everything as quickly as we possibly can, we can only overwhelm ourselves. And that just leads to feelings of helplessness and indecisiveness (i.e not knowing who you are, what you want to do, etc).

However, if you do things at your own pace, you'll be able to take these steps and build on them in a very positive manner. It'll take time, but you can do it. :yep:

ReputationRep:

I do and don't. Go through the phases then suddenly lack motivation to carry on and end back on step 1.

ReputationRep:
    Jean Valjean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Strange)
    Awww, at least you know what it is. I don't see what there is to be self-conscious about because there's absolutely no shame in any of that In fact, it's a matter of pride because those things show courage and a desire to express yourself (the arts in particular).

It's not something that you can do in one go, though. It's just a case of taking small steps over a period of time. For instance, one day you might decide to join a gym, and another day you might add a few things to your wardrobe, etc, etc.

But by thinking we have to rush to do everything as quickly as we possibly can, we can only overwhelm ourselves. And that just leads to feelings of helplessness and indecisiveness (i.e not knowing who you are, what you want to do, etc).

However, if you do things at your own pace, you'll be able to take these steps and build on them in a very positive manner. It'll take time, but you can do it. :yep:
    Well I just got a gym membership, I’ve been waiting for it to open because my other local one shut down but I’ve woken up every day for like the past week with a dying urge to go. I thought after exams I’d get straight in so I was disappointed to waste a few weeks and yeah I’ve added a few new things to my wardrobe, things I really like so I’m getting there but it does feel like a long way to go before I can start feeling myself again.

I’m think I’ve been doing the opposite, ive been so laid back which is why I’m feeling so bad but now I’ve realised most of it is down to self-consciousness I’m glad I’m gonna begin working on it

I think my next step is to start doing more of my hobbies, I’m gonna focus on art, tennis and golf.. the only thing is I’m so bad at art so it can make me feel worse sometimes but thanks, I guess I just have to remember to enjoy it every step of the way and not slip back into an empty shell… it’s starting to sound like I’ve got this all figured out! thanks for talking I really appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.