Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is it even worth applying to oxford with two tolerated failures on MSc transcript Watch

ReputationRep:
    The iPHD (4 year PHD, year 1 is taught) I want to apply to specifies as the minimum entry requirement an undergraduate degree at 2:1. Although it states most have a first class. It also states that "a master's degree is not essential but would be an advantage. "

I have a 1st class undergraduate degree.

I also have a masters degree graded at Merit BUT two out of eight modules went down as tolerated failures 40% and 43% (pass mark being 50%). The only reason I got a Merit is because I did well in other modules and got a distinction in my thesis.

I can't imagine a place like Oxford accepting a student with failures in any transcript, even if that degree is not essential.

Southampton University offer a similar degree, same story there do you think?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    You asked (a variant of) this question a few days ago, so not sure if you're expecting different answers.

I think things like this are usually worth a shot, if you have the deposit money for your application lying around at least - can't hurt beyond that.

PhD applicants will be carefully assessed on individual merit, but yes, especially at Oxford you'll be up against people with Distinctions in each module and near-perfect grades. Likely that you would have some awkward questions to answer - and answer in a satisfactory way - if you get to interview.

My hunch is that failures at Masters level are going to reflect very badly on your perceived ability to complete a PhD. If you have 2 module failures at MSc, can you be relied on to tough out a 4 year PhD programme? Also - formally, yes, a Masters may not be required but the likelihood is that the vast majority of applicants will have a completed MSc with no failures (although I suppose the iPhD structure might work to your advantage a bit here).

I don't think this automatically disqualifies you from anything, though. I would personally apply for both programmes with a very. very carefully polished and well-written application and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldender)
    You asked (a variant of) this question a few days ago, so not sure if you're expecting different answers.

I think things like this are usually worth a shot, if you have the deposit money for your application lying around at least - can't hurt beyond that.

PhD applicants will be carefully assessed on individual merit, but yes, especially at Oxford you'll be up against people with Distinctions in each module and near-perfect grades. Likely that you would have some awkward questions to answer - and answer in a satisfactory way - if you get to interview.

My hunch is that failures at Masters level are going to reflect very badly on your perceived ability to complete a PhD. If you have 2 module failures at MSc, can you be relied on to tough out a 4 year PhD programme? Also - formally, yes, a Masters may not be required but the likelihood is that the vast majority of applicants will have a completed MSc with no failures (although I suppose the iPhD structure might work to your advantage a bit here).

I don't think this automatically disqualifies you from anything, though. I would personally apply for both programmes with a very. very carefully polished and well-written application and hope for the best.
    Thanks for your reply. I won't post this again, I'm just currently wrestling with the change in how certain I was before I began my MSc that I was going to get another 1st and the Oxford iPHD was a guarantee.

Anyway, I have been pestering the department trying to get some "insider information" about this from a lecturer there, no luck as my emails keep getting ignored and sent to the course administrator, he's told me that the failing grades will of course be looked upon negatively but that it might help if I pay a visit to the department, speak to some people face to face about this. So that's what I'll do.

I'm hoping that the change in subject will make a difference (My BA was in International Relations, my MSc is in Computer Science. This Cybersecurity iPHD accepts candidates from all disciplines. Yet the first year teaches some pretty hardcore Computer Science courses, as much as my transcript doesn't really show it, I'm still likely better prepared for the technical side of things than say someone with a BA and an MA in Law graded at distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillMurray)
    No worries; as I said, go for it - don't put your house on it as I'm sure it's competitive, but the iPhD structure sounds quite well-suited to your needs. No harm in applying! (Apart from the fiasco of application fees of course, which should be made illegal)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 24, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.