Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Initiation in uni halls/student accommodation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    I'm starting uni in a couple months and some of my friends (international student) are trying to scare me by telling me about some of the initiation processes that 1st year students have to go through to be accepted into uni culture. To be honest I have heard a fair share of horror stories (heard an exeter student died a while back?!). So my question is, does initiation exist/ is it something to worry about in uni halls/student accommodation? does that fraternity type of culture exist at uk unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piny_tenis)
    hi all,
    I'm starting uni in a couple months and some of my friends (international student) are trying to scare me by telling me about some of the initiation processes that 1st year students have to go through to be accepted into uni culture. To be honest I have heard a fair share of horror stories (heard an exeter student died a while back?!). So my question is, does initiation exist/ is it something to worry about in uni halls/student accommodation? does that fraternity type of culture exist at uk unis?
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your friends are just winding you up - UK Unis dont do this USA style nonsense.

Its bullying.

If you come across even a rumour of this sort of behaviour once you are at Uni, please report it to staff in your Halls immediately.

ReputationRep:
    It happened in my uni in mainly social circles (where societies meet up to drink etc). The older years get you to play drinking games at your own expense and down pints, body shots etc. If you're uncomfortable do say no. I stopped going cos it made me feel uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    That's not really a thing. Some idiots will do stupid things but they're the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Your friends are just winding you up - UK Unis dont do this USA style nonsense.

Its bullying.

If you come across even a rumour of this sort of behaviour once you are at Uni, please report it to staff in your Halls immediately.
    How did you survive through the University with that attitude?

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    That doesn't really happen here the worst thing I herd about was the Portsmouth hokey team I guess you could say "gunged" (chucked a load of things like custards people) the new team members messy and sticky but that was the absolute worst most clubs don't do anything like that at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    No.

Not unless you join a partying heavy sports team, but even then you shouldn't do anything you don't want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no, and if they did and you take part you're a mug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    It happened in my uni in mainly social circles (where societies meet up to drink etc). The older years get you to play drinking games at your own expense and down pints, body shots etc. If you're uncomfortable do say no. I stopped going cos it made me feel uncomfortable.
    Did this mainly occur in sports societies or general social clubs?

ReputationRep:
    Did this mainly occur in sports societies or general social clubs?
    Mainly sports and freshers. But yes after freshers it's sports.

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    That's honestly the biggest load of ******** I've ever heard in my entire life. No one expects you to drink, and no one gives a **** if you don't.

Thankfully, we're not America

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.