Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Hooray Trump's Wall is being built 😀 [Not confirmed] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lmao that steel wall is no obstacle, they will just climb it with a ladder. Anyone determined enough is not going to be deterred by a wall lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empirical)
    No your sentiment is incorrect. Upholding the laws (which include immigration laws) is what upstanding citizens do. It's the Mohican hair, nose ring, tabooed chanting mobs calling for open borders and anti-capitalism that are the rednecks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Upholding the law is what normal citizens do.

Demanding a stupid, expensive and useless wall to implement the law in a ineffective way is what complete idiots do.

Also, I don't think you know what a redneck is.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I thought Congress was still deliberating over the funding of the wall? I've not read anything of any confirmation that Trump can begin building new portions to the already existing border fences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    I agree can't they just lean a ladder against the wall now since it is transparent they can see whether there are any guards nearby they added metal poles as walls cant just had their contraband to the person on the other side with minimal effort the wall will probably be a resort in a couple of years time. In order for the wall to be successfull they should put a wall under the other wall lol
    Well there's less to watch with a wall. If they have cameras watching the wall and set a precedent that if someone goes over then the border patrol will drive and find them or send a chopper, it will disincentivise people from breaching it. also legal penalties and fines for illegal entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ya, because terrorist and drug smugglers are going to say, "Opps, looks like immigrantion laws have changed, amd the wall is 10 feet higher, lets go back home boys!". Right... This is just a symbolic gesture and publicity stunt by Trump to create a symbolic gesture representing Republican values of "Them" and "Us".

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese built the historic great wall of China to deter the mongols from attacking them a year later the mongols stepped over the wall and invaded china

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    I thought Congress was still deliberating over the funding of the wall? I've not read anything of any confirmation that Trump can begin building new portions to the already existing border fences?
    https://www.courthousenews.com/house...p-border-wall/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    'House Republicans will likely be able to pass the bill with ease but the legislation might find some resistance if it moves to the Senate. There, the GOP will need the support of at least eight democrats to make the bill a reality.'

In other words, there is no confirmation nor money appropriated. The bill hasn't passed yet so no building of anything new is currently happening that pertains to Trump.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a waste of money. Are Mexico going to pay for it??

ReputationRep:
    It was hilarious when Trump said, "We can put a big door in the wall..". I can't wait for this.
    • Very Important Poster

Let's all raise our glasses in celebration because Trumps border Wall got the go ahead and funding and construction is starting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The article doesnt say that though

It hasnt got the go ahead, its just a bill.
    Construction isnt starting yet.
    Even then its just a 74 mile section.

Are you American?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Seems like a waste of money. Are Mexico going to pay for it??
    If the wall ever gets built, according to the proposed bill, it will be entirely US taxpayers money.

'What the bill did not include was a delivery on President Donald Trump’s campaign promise that Mexico would pay for the wall. Allocations for the budget will come from U.S. tax payer dollars instead. '

But then I suspect no one actually thought Mexico was genuinely going to pay for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Is it being built from ice magic? Because that seems a lot more feasible and practical.

ReputationRep:
    Let's all raise our glasses in celebration because Trumps border Wall got the go ahead and funding and construction is starting.
    Yet again, he's having to backtrack. What is shown is clearly a fence, not a wall, but Trump and his cronies will brand all attempts to assert this as 'fake news'.

What happens at the ends of this fence? People have access to boats, catapults, tunnels, etc, and do use them. What about flying to Canada first? This is a massive, expensive project that is poor value for money. It's simplistic in the extreme, like Trump.

Thanks for the video. It looks more like a comedy sketch than a serious briefing - "more safe"!

ReputationRep:
    I think the intentions are good; too many world leaders are ignorant to the dangers of uncontrolled immigration. However, I disagree with the method of dealing with it. The organised groups that smuggle drugs into the US have sophisticated ways that are unlikely to be affected by a wall on the border. Plus, due to it being a multi-million dollar industry, if the wall did have any effect on their business they would stop at nothing to continue trading. We need to legalise drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    If the wall ever gets built, according to the proposed bill, it will be entirely US taxpayers money.

'What the bill did not include was a delivery on President Donald Trump’s campaign promise that Mexico would pay for the wall. Allocations for the budget will come from U.S. tax payer dollars instead. '

But then I suspect no one actually thought Mexico was genuinely going to pay for it.
    I'd be very surprised if Mexico paid for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    Fantastic, just fantastic - I knew Trump would deliver on his promise. You see, liberals - the wall will be up and built in no time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Now, in the words of Dale Winton - BRING ON THE WALL!

TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP! #MAGA #AmericaFirst
    How haven't you been banned yet? Literally all you do is try provoke people with your ostentatious language. Obvious troll 2/10.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Fun fact: Trump's wall is expected to cost between $15 billion and $25 billion to build, with the internal estimate touted by the Trump administration coming somewhere in the middle at $21.6 billion. So in the off chance the republicans manage to scrape together enough democrat support in the senate to pass this budget, they've only funded about a tenth of the minimum projected cost of the wall.

This is not a cause for celebration, this is not a sign of Trump keeping his word. This is an empty gesture, a big sounding number to sound great in headlines and soundbites but an utterly ineffectual amount when it comes to actually achieving Trump's crayon-scribble of a vision for this thing. It's a lowball request that allows the GOP to make it look like they're doing something to their core voters without committing too many resources to a project they know will never come to fruition.

I guess we just need to wait for that cheque from Mexico in the mail.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero766)
    I think the intentions are good; too many world leaders are ignorant to the dangers of uncontrolled immigration. However, I disagree with the method of dealing with it. The organised groups that smuggle drugs into the US have sophisticated ways that are unlikely to be affected by a wall on the border. Plus, due to it being a multi-million dollar industry, if the wall did have any effect on their business they would stop at nothing to continue trading. We need to legalise drugs.
    Decriminalise* not legalise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    How haven't you been banned yet? Literally all you do is try provoke people with your ostentatious language. Obvious troll 2/10.
    So I'm a troll for supporting the democratically elected president of the United States? Did you say that about everyone who supported Obozo?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.