The Student Room Group

First time in London

I went to London for the first time today. Going with my Sister who knows the place well really helped stop my anxiety from taking over, especially on the underground.

It was a really good day out. I got to see all of the landmarks I wanted to and many of the areas of London I've heard about. The NH museum and Science Museum were also sweet #EDUCATION!!

The downside is that there's only so much time in the day, a fair amount taken up by travel to, around and from London so I wasn't able to fit in everything I wanted to :/
To make things worse, now all train direct to London from my Uni city are suspended indefinitely so I have no idea when next I'll get to go

Scroll to see replies

You'd never been to London before today? :K:
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
I went to London for the first time today. Going with my Sister who knows the place well really helped stop my anxiety from taking over, especially on the underground.

It was a really good day out. I got to see all of the landmarks I wanted to and many of the areas of London I've heard about. The NH museum and Science Museum were also sweet #EDUCATION!!

The downside is that there's only so much time in the day, a fair amount taken up by travel to, around and from London so I wasn't able to fit in everything I wanted to :/
To make things worse, now all train direct to London from my Uni city are suspended indefinitely so I have no idea when next I'll get to go

Whereabouts is your uni city? :0
Reply 3

I'm kinda surprised how you've never been to London before now seeing as it is the capital city lmao... there are other ways to travel besides trains, how about getting a coach ?
Original post by fefssdf
I'm kinda surprised how you've never been to London before now seeing as it is the capital city lmao... there are other ways to travel besides trains, how about getting a coach ?

I actually know a fair few people who have never been to London.
Reply 5
Original post by qasim_96
I actually know a fair few people who have never been to London.

Fair enkugh
Original post by Batgirl98

Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Whereabouts is your uni city? :0

Original post by fefssdf

Nope. I'd never been able to afford it, my anxiety would always cause me to spiral out of control and every time I'd planned to go before with people they all flaked on me :/

My uni city is Chichester. It's not exactly a surprise from Southern Rail
Nope. I'd never been able to afford it, my anxiety would always cause me to spiral out of control and every time I'd planned to go before with people they all flaked on me :/

My uni city is Chichester. It's not exactly a surprise from Southern Rail

Ahh, that's classic Southern. :angry: I went to college in Havant -- if you do want to head up again, get the train from Chi to Havant and get on the Waterloo service there. :redface:
It looks like that's what I'd have to do with no other choice. Rather frustrating when I don't really know the south at all
Ahh, that's classic Southern. :angry: I went to college in Havant -- if you do want to head up again, get the train from Chi to Havant and get on the Waterloo service there. :redface:

This is not as unusual as you might think. I'd never really been to London until I was nearly 25. And even then I didn't see much as I was only there for a few hours between trains. All I really saw was the bit of river near parliament and Camden market.
It looks like that's what I'd have to do with no other choice. Rather frustrating when I don't really know the south at all

It's annoying, but at least it's a fairly easy journey! Any train from Chi to Portsmouth Harbour or Southampton Central will get you to Havant in 20 minutes max (or if Southern really are being gits then the 700 bus will take you between the two as well) -- then you just cross over the footbridge onto platform 1, and it's a direct SWT train from there, for reference.

Hopefully Southern stop being Southern by September, for your next term. :frown:
It's annoying, but at least it's a fairly easy journey! Any train from Chi to Portsmouth Harbour or Southampton Central will get you to Havant in 20 minutes max (or if Southern really are being gits then the 700 bus will take you between the two as well) -- then you just cross over the footbridge onto platform 1, and it's a direct SWT train from there, for reference.

Hopefully Southern stop being Southern by September, for your next term. :frown:

Thanks! This is actually really clear and helpful :smile:
And let's hope southern get their-selves sorted
Original post by Manitude
This is not as unusual as you might think. I'd never really been to London until I was nearly 25. And even then I didn't see much as I was only there for a few hours between trains. All I really saw was the bit of river near parliament and Camden market.

I see, it was just a bit surprising but yeah thanks :h: Have you been back to London since?
Did you see the red phone box in Westminster? There's always a tourist(s) in that thing taking actual photos (thank god not selfies), only time I haven't seen people posing in that thing was at 10pm in autumn.
I see, it was just a bit surprising but yeah thanks :h: Have you been back to London since?

Not yet. The time I was on about was in March or April. I am going back for a full weekend next month, but I don't know how much time I'll have for sightseeing as I'm supposed to be catching up with a bunch of friends.

I live on the other side of England so it costs at least £70 for a train with a railcard (my journey next month cost me £80, but I am going first class so it's fine :P ). So it's not like I can just go on a whim, or even for a day trip as it's a 3 hour journey each way.
I saw quite a few red red telephone boxes. Pretty nifty seeing something supposedly so British that I've never seen before :smile:
Original post by Vikingninja
Did you see the red phone box in Westminster? There's always a tourist(s) in that thing taking actual photos (thank god not selfies), only time I haven't seen people posing in that thing was at 10pm in autumn.
Reply 16
You've never been to London? How?
I saw quite a few red red telephone boxes. Pretty nifty seeing something supposedly so British that I've never seen before :smile:

Nah that one in particular ALWAYS has people posing in it.

Big up Pompey! My home city; now there's a place worth visiting :laugh:
Original post by MrIso
You've never been to London? How?

A combination of anxiety, lack of money and people flaking on me

Original post by Cubone-r
Big up Pompey! My home city; now there's a place worth visiting :laugh:

Got any recommendations for places to check out? I've intended to go to Portsmouth at some point

Quick Reply

Latest