Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And how do they differ from Credit cards?
    Thanks.

a debit card lets you buy things with money you actually have in a account. So you give in your card, and the money is deducted from your bank account. If you don't have the money there you can't buy things. To get one you need to open a account with a bank that gives you a debit card..

ReputationRep:
    My HSBC account sent me a debit card by default at the age of 16

ReputationRep:
    Natwest gave me one when I opened an account aged 12. I then ordered a chequebook from a cash machine. When I went in to upgrade to a student account, he told me that I could now have a chequebook. He seemed amazed and thought I was lying when I said I'd had one for 6 years!

ReputationRep:
    I got mine when I was 20 and opened my student account. They don't give debit cards to self employed rent boys like myself

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting a debit card make sure they give you a Visa (or alternative - providing you are 18+) rather than a crappy Visa Electron or Solo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    If you're getting a debit card make sure they give you a Visa (or alternative - providing you are 18+) rather than a crappy Visa Electron or Solo.
    Solo is quality, thanks to that, I've been able to gamble online since I was 13. Niceage.

Visa Electron is ok but some places won't accept it. Like Boots, or stations.

Go into all your local banks and ask them for information about accounts you could have. Then take the leaflets home, compare them, and pick the best one and open an account with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Surely a Visa is a credit card, not debit card. There's nothing wrong with Solo, but if you want better, get a Switch (now called Maestro), think HSBC give you one without much trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    Surely a Visa is a credit card, not debit card. There's nothing wrong with Solo, but if you want better, get a Switch (now called Maestro), think HSBC give you one without much trouble.
    Indeed. Get a Switch.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll harass Barclays for one tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    Wrong, Visa can be a credit or a debit card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    No, what made you think that? Visa is a company that processes transactions, it issues debit cards and credit cards.

ReputationRep:
    Halifax lets you have a debit card at 16 also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    No, what made you think that? Visa is a company that processes transactions, it issues debit cards and credit cards.
    Yup, Halifax gave me a Visa debit card with my current account, and HSBC have just sent me a Maestro card for my student account. Not that I've got any money in that one yet...

ReputationRep:
    Abbey national do visa electron cards from 16 years old and their interest rate is the best. I just applied for an account a few days ago after some searching.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.