Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

PG Linguistics - Newcastle vs Lancaster Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm an Eu student and I've been accepted to study similar MA linguistic subjects in Newcastle and Lancaster and I'm having some trouble deciding. Both of them look like pretty good universities.

In terms of location, I'm more inclined to Newcastle as I have some previous study experience in Durham. As for communication, the Newcastle staff seems to be slightly less responsive to my e-mails and requests, but on the other hand, Lancaster is not too willing to disclose some information about the program - quite important for my decision, and they push me with deadlines to accept/refuse about my offer (which I'm not in favor of), and overall, the institution gives me a mysterious impression - less transparent than Newcastle.

When I look at the rankings, they seem to be both quite high in the tables (Lancaster being perhaps a little bit better off).

Could anybody relate to my (vague) experience with some greater knowledge or share something which would help me better to decide? And is it true that a member of the Russell group (Newcastle) would have better future prospects than a non-member?

ReputationRep:
    Go for Newcastle I'd say. It may be at the lower end of the Russell Group but overall is still better than Lancaster, which is a complete non-entity outside of the UK.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.