Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad is schizophrenic he was diagnosed with it 20 years ago for about 17 years he hasn't taken the drugs he was prescribed. He had a period of where he become very aggressive and harmful to himself and our family however recently he has had food poisoning and the doctors prescribed him a
    Antipsychotic drug which he hasn't been taking for 4 days I've realised and family have too that his body lang has changed he talks more
    Freely throughout the day bearing in mind he never ever spoke to anyone and was
    Very hostile. But my family Believe we shouldn't get him hooked on the drug as it seems as if he is addicted to it he's always asking for more when he isn't given it he becomes very hostile. It's scary becasue with schizophrenia you can't tell what he's thinking. Read up tho if he stops taking the tablets then he will experience side effects that appear
    Very scary! Our family want to get him off the tablets because we know from Experience from that past the after effects are just as bad as not taking the medication if that makes sense.
    It's been so hard lately for our family just lost really. Are prochlorpromazine Tabelts addictive ?

Any advise is appreciated

Apologies for the random spaces

ReputationRep:
    I think this is something that would be best discussed with your doctor. It's unlikely you'll find legit medical advice on the internet.

The only thing I can say is that if your dad stops taking medication as he doesn't like the side effects, he should be able to try alternatives until he finds one that he prefers. Again, this is something to be discussed with the doctor.

I understand that this must be a distressing time for you and your family, and this is why I advise you to go to a professional. It's the only way you'll get the help your dad & family need right now.

Hope things get better for you soon

(Original post by Bezoar)
    I think this is something that would be best discussed with your doctor. It's unlikely you'll find legit medical advice on the internet.

The only thing I can say is that if your dad stops taking medication as he doesn't like the side effects, he should be able to try alternatives until he finds one that he prefers. Again, this is something to be discussed with the doctor.

I understand that this must be a distressing time for you and your family, and this is why I advise you to go to a professional. It's the only way you'll get the help your dad & family need right now.

Hope things get better for you soon
    Yeah completely agree with you the only thing is with schizophrenic people it's hard to talk about mental health with him the only reason why we went to the doctors was becasue of his food poisoning we were unaware the doctors gave schizophrenic tablets really we thought they gave him tabelts to ease pain to do with food poisoning. He would flip if he found out they were tabelts to do with his schizophrenia the only reason why he takes them is becasue it helps him sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah completely agree with you the only thing is with schizophrenic people it's hard to talk about mental health with him the only reason why we went to the doctors was becasue of his food poisoning we were unaware the doctors gave schizophrenic tablets really we thought they gave him tabelts to ease pain to do with food poisoning. He would flip if he found out they were tabelts to do with his schizophrenia the only reason why he takes them is becasue it helps him sleep.
    Judging from this information there's a bit of a problem in regards to the doctor in charge. The GP should not have prescribed your dad new tablets without informing him first and asking for his permission (that is, assuming your dad has the ability to consent).

A reason why your GP may have prescribed new tablets may be because when someone has diarrhea/vomiting, they are less likely to absorb their medications properly as it does not spend enough time in the body to be properly digested. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in regards to this?

Please don't forget that if you and your family become seriously concerned for your dad's health, you should be able to ring an nhs crisis team, details of which should have been supplied to you and your family upon your dad's diagnosis.

(Original post by Bezoar)
    Judging from this information there's a bit of a problem in regards to the doctor in charge. The GP should not have prescribed your dad new tablets without informing him first and asking for his permission (that is, assuming your dad has the ability to consent).

A reason why your GP may have prescribed new tablets may be because when someone has diarrhea/vomiting, they are less likely to absorb their medications properly as it does not spend enough time in the body to be properly digested. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in regards to this?

Please don't forget that if you and your family become seriously concerned for your dad's health, you should be able to ring an nhs crisis team, details of which should have been supplied to you and your family upon your dad's diagnosis.
    Yes your absolutely right! The doctors didn't ask for my dads consent instead they just prescribed him that I was stupid enough not to read into it before giving it to him. And yes you're right the thing is he has diarrhoea and nausea but it's the fact that he is a schizophrenic which makes it worse as yes it's helping to sooth the nausea but it's not the right medicine for him because he's become l Addicted to it and I think that the more medication he takes the harder it will be later on when he is taken off it to become stable as he's dependent on the drug. Also once he takes his dose he is normal behaviour wise it once he goes toilet and the drug affect is gone he goes back to normal so it's a limbo type of thing.

Will definitely have to contact the crisis hotline thank you for your advise 🙂 Appreciate it!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dad is schizophrenic he was diagnosed with it 20 years ago for about 17 years he hasn't taken the drugs he was prescribed. He had a period of where he become very aggressive and harmful to himself and our family however recently he has had food poisoning and the doctors prescribed him a
    Antipsychotic drug which he hasn't been taking for 4 days I've realised and family have too that his body lang has changed he talks more
    Freely throughout the day bearing in mind he never ever spoke to anyone and was
    Very hostile. But my family Believe we shouldn't get him hooked on the drug as it seems as if he is addicted to it he's always asking for more when he isn't given it he becomes very hostile. It's scary becasue with schizophrenia you can't tell what he's thinking. Read up tho if he stops taking the tablets then he will experience side effects that appear
    Very scary! Our family want to get him off the tablets because we know from Experience from that past the after effects are just as bad as not taking the medication if that makes sense.
    It's been so hard lately for our family just lost really. Are prochlorpromazine Tabelts addictive ?

Any advise is appreciated
    I can't give you any specific advice on the medication cos I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like it's worth you and your family having a discussion with a doctor about your father's care.
    I think it might be worth you and your family asking to see a psych to discuss things like:
    consent (is he in a state to be making medical decisions himself or would it be better for somebody else to?)
    medication (should he be on medication or getting any other treatment and do his records say he is taking anything that you know he isn't?)
    and anything else you have concerns or questions about.

It sounds like he might be doing well on this medication so it might be worth seeing if he would be willing to continue it, if it's safe for him to etc. The doctor should not have prescribed it without explaining what it was though, either to your father or somebody in your family.

One thing to bare in mind is that people can be attached to something without being addicted and that if your father is already somewhat hostile and unpredictable at times it could be him having a normal (for him) reaction to something he likes and does not want taken away. Like you might get annoyed if somebody took away your antibiotics when you had an infection.
    He's your father though and obviously you know him better than I do and have some idea of what his behaviours mean.

Also, side effects listed for medications do not always occur. My ADs had some terrifying things listed, but pretty much all I had was feeling a bit sick.

You and your family are obviously in a difficult and confusing situation and I think it's worth you having a proper sit down and talk to a doctor so you know what's going on and how to best help your father.

I hope that makes sense and helped a bit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.