Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

using folders/binders vs notebooks for sixth form Watch

ReputationRep:
    so I'll be starting sixth form next year (studying maths, fm, physics and french). At GCSE we had to use just notebooks given to us by the school for each subject but at sixth form we have more freedom and have to buy our own books etc.

But I don't know whether it's better to write on sheets of paper and then put them into a binder for each subject or write in notebooks and then keep any loose sheets in a folder?

originally i was set on notebooks but lately have been leaning towards the use of binders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peacheyroses)
    so I'll be starting sixth form next year (studying maths, fm, physics and french). At GCSE we had to use just notebooks given to us by the school for each subject but at sixth form we have more freedom and have to buy our own books etc.

But I don't know whether it's better to write on sheets of paper and then put them into a binder for each subject or write in notebooks and then keep any loose sheets in a folder?

originally i was set on notebooks but lately have been leaning towards the use of binders
    I did maths, further maths biology and chemistry

For maths and fm, I used the notes that the teacher wrote out on the whiteboard into my book. You definitely don't need a binder for maths and fm. It's just a small amount of theory and the majority of your work should be past paper questions etc, which i just used to bin after doing the questions and checking them.

For the science subjects, the notes in class weren't great. Hence, when I got home i would rewrite them using the notes from school, the endorsed textbook and the CGP guide and the specification to make sure I didn't miss anything. I used a folder/binder for science as there was a much greater volume of notes which I needed to know.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the subject. For maths and fm using a notebook should suffice as it isn't theory based, but more practical. You may want a binder to sort all of your notebooks in if you get them hole punched because trust me, there will be a lot, but that isn't something that you need to carry with you every day.

For subjects that are theory based, I would definately recommend a binder as there is mainly a lot of jumping around, things that you will need to add to later. Doing this in a notebook gets really annoying as things aren't in order. I started with notebooks but switched to binders 2 months into year 12. Using a binder also allows you to sort things into categories. For French, you could have a vocab section, maybe sections for each particular topic etc.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.