Why is it only labeled a hate crime if the perp is straight? Why not if he's gay? Watch

Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Meany Pie)
So someone who bashed someone's head in trying to defend themselves should be treated the same as someone who did it intentionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking for loop holes in my statement doesn't actually address the issue. Obviously there are certain exceptions, but I assumed everyone reading my comment had common sense.

(Original post by anarchism101)
By that logic, genocide is also a stupid concept, since it also depends on targeting particular groups, which is what distinguishes it from the broader "crimes against humanity".
Well, if I fill a room with the entire Jewish population (for example), which is around 17million ish and blew them all up (ie. genocide) how is that worse from taking 17million people of various ethnicities and blowing them all up? Are you trying to argue that because one group is of a specified race, that their lives have more meaning?
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So someone who bashed someone's head in trying to defend themselves should be treated the same as someone who did it intentionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're talking about very different circumstances. Obviously there is a difference between intentional and unintentional injury, or when somebody is acting in self defense. But whether I assault a man because he's gay or because he's a Montreal Canadiens fan, that shouldn't matter. It's essentially another layer of criminal punishment for somebody's beliefs (if the victim just happens to be a protected class).

Hate crimes are an unnecessary politicisation of existing crimes, invented to make a statement. A person's actions, not their personal prejudices, should be more important, however.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I am a Stick)
Oh no, the poor murders getting more time in prison than they should!!
Well that is a genuine issue. We are meant to be equal under the law.
justme3991
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
nobody addressed my point that I don't get why hate crimes just exist if it's only a penalty for straight people in the case of orientation.... No addressed why one case is a hate crime while the other is not
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How long is significant?
An increase in sentence length is purely up to the judge who decides how much longer the sentence should be based on the severity of the aggravation.
FlatearthFTW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's called acting in self defence. Very different concept
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by justme3991)
nobody addressed my point that I don't get why hate crimes just exist if it's only a penalty for straight people in the case of orientation.... No addressed why one case is a hate crime while the other is not
I think it would be easier to discuss if you were able to cite some example articles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
justme3991
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I think it would be easier to discuss if you were able to cite some example articles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wasn't an article I was referencing I was referencing a situation involving a relative that happened.
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It wasn't an article I was referencing I was referencing a situation involving a relative that happened.
That's what I'm saying; an article is something tangible to debunk, where a personal situation is much harder to discuss, as you don't know the potential reasons why it might not have been classed as a hate crime, or any of the other factors that were in play, where a publicised story would have more accessible information
justme3991
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
That's what I'm saying; an article is something tangible to debunk, where a personal situation is much harder to discuss, as you don't know the potential reasons why it might not have been classed as a hate crime, or any of the other factors that were in play, where a publicised story would have more accessible information

uh actually do since I'm the victim's daughter. I know a lot about the case. No one even ever mentioned it being considered a hate crime.
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
uh actually do since I'm the victim's daughter. I know a lot about the case. No one even ever mentioned it being considered a hate crime.
I'm not stating you don't know about the case here*, don't get me wrong, and I'm sorry that you've been through that. What I was trying to say that is without knowing the case well as a commenter, I personally wouldn't feel informed enough to try and debunk this :dontknow:

You may well be correct that it's a wider problem, in which case it's something that should be dealt with, as it's just a significant a concern as a gay person being targetted due to their sexuality. Are you aware of any similar cases, out of interest?

*To clarify, I was using 'you' in the wider sense, not trying to dispute your personal knowledge, so I apologise if that didn't come across!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads