Dolly10330
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was going through the grade thershold by CIE A level for Biology and it is stated that if the test taker has got 136 out of 260 then it would be a C now the overall percentage is 52.3% then should it not be a D ? according to UMS system. Please answer my question as i do not get their grading system at all.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dolly10330)
I was going through the grade thershold by CIE A level for Biology and it is stated that if the test taker has got 136 out of 260 then it would be a C now the overall percentage is 52.3% then should it not be a D ? according to UMS system. Please answer my question as i do not get their grading system at all.
136 out of 260 is the raw mark, you need to convert that to the UMS mark before working out the percentage because from what you've said that is certainly NOT a Grade D let alone a Grade C :P Hope that helps.
Dolly10330
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
136 out of 260 is the raw mark, you need to convert that to the UMS mark before working out the percentage because from what you've said that is certainly NOT a Grade D let alone a Grade C :P Hope that helps.

Thank you for telling me that but how do they convert to UMS?
JT_888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for telling me that but how do they convert to UMS?
Every year there's grade boundaries released so a certain mark will be equivalent to a certain UMS mark. There should be a thing on the website that does it for you, I'll have a look.
Dolly10330
Rep:
?
Every year there's grade boundaries released so a certain mark will be equivalent to a certain UMS mark. There should be a thing on the website that does it for you, I'll have a look.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
JT_888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
I can't find a UMS converter on the website but if you use the grade boundaries that should at least help you work out what grade x mark is.
Dolly10330
Rep:
?
I can't find a UMS converter on the website but if you use the grade boundaries that should at least help you work out what grade x mark is.
alright
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,
Having looked into it, it does not appear that CIE use ums in the same way in which other exam boards use it. They set grade boundaries by raw mark to make the difficulty of the exam standardised by previous years as the other exam boards do, but to combine the units they instead give all the unit combinations and the raw mark needed to achieve each grade with that combination of units.
See for example here: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/332782-...-june-2016.pdf
Here you can see, depending on the combination of units, 136 may either be a C or a D. If it says they got a C, they must have taken one of the combinations of units which a raw mark of maximum 136+ was needed for a C
HTH
Dolly10330
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Hi there,
Having looked into it, it does not appear that CIE use ums in the same way in which other exam boards use it. They set grade boundaries by raw mark to make the difficulty of the exam standardised by previous years as the other exam boards do, but to combine the units they instead give all the unit combinations and the raw mark needed to achieve each grade with that combination of units.
See for example here: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/332782-...-june-2016.pdf
Here you can see, depending on the combination of units, 136 may either be a C or a D. If it says they got a C, they must have taken one of the combinations of units which a raw mark of maximum 136+ was needed for a C
HTH
Yes this is a bit confusing as their raw mark does not match with UMS.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes this is a bit confusing as their raw mark does not match with UMS.
Yeah it is a bit confusing, but I guess it would make more sense if we weren't used to ums lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dolly10330
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Yeah it is a bit confusing, but I guess it would make more sense if we weren't used to ums lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (8)
12.31%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
4.62%
I need help with my personal statement (28)
43.08%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (16)
24.62%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.08%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.62%

Watched Threads