summer1311
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There are reports of voter fraud, with The Telegraph reporting that students who are registered both at home and at a term time address may have voted for Corbyn twice in the General Election.

The Electoral Commission, which oversees elections, told the Daily Mail it had no evidence of “widespread abuse” but it was “troubling that some voters appear to have admitted voting more than once”.

Supposedly there has been screenshots of students boasting online about voting twice.

What do you guys think of this story? Are you a student who made 'tactical vote' so that your vote had more of an impact? Did you vote at home or at uni/ a different address? Let me know your thoughts!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The whole voting system is wide open to fraud and abuse:

Postal voting, absent voting applications, campaigners handling blank and absent voting materials and completed ballot packs;
Proxy voting;
No requirement for ID other than stating name and address at polling stations, wide open to identity theft and impersonation;
Alternate addresses voting twice;
High risk of coercion and using otherwise abstained voter places in concentrations of ethnic patriarchal communities - South Asian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities in particular using cultural influence to mobilise extended family and community networks to secure block votes - also associated with postal vote fraud and abuse;

It really does not surprise me in the slightest. Judging by some of the vitriol espoused by Labour supporters here on TSR during the election and Grenfell disaster, it would not only be entirely feasible but probable.

Corbyn's youth movement is the tip of the iceberg.
Moura
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by summer1311)
There are reports of voter fraud, with The Telegraph reporting that students who are registered both at home and at a term time address may have voted for Corbyn twice in the General Election.

The Electoral Commission, which oversees elections, told the Daily Mail it had no evidence of “widespread abuse” but it was “troubling that some voters appear to have admitted voting more than once”.

Supposedly there has been screenshots of students boasting online about voting twice.

What do you guys think of this story? Are you a student who made 'tactical vote' so that your vote had more of an impact? Did you vote at home or at uni/ a different address? Let me know your thoughts!

If they did then that is absolutely nothing to do with Corbyn and everything to do with the Electoral Commission, and will equally apply to students voting for any party. Neither Corbyn nor Labour in general encouraged people to do this.

If students vote twice then I'm pretty sure both votes are invalidated as it would be pretty easy to pick up. The Electoral Comission said that this was not widespead so it's probably just a few idiots not aware of the rules or consequences (since it's a criminal offense) or they are just chatting **** for likes... if it's true and they did vote twice then it actually probably meant less votes for Corbyn due to the vote being invalid.

This is just classic crap journalism from the Daily Mail.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not just the Daily Mail it would seem:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...urgent-action/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...orbyn-10819772
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is no evidence this has anything to do with the Labour parliamentary party, the Labour party membership, Momentum or coordinated group of individuals.

There is however evidence of the Conservative party it self breaking electoral rules and they are under investigation. But hey, let's try to have a go at British ethnic minorities and the young at any chance we got. Because, politics.

I will never support voting ID laws that have been proven time after time, in history and around the world to disportionately disenfranchise lower income and ethnic minorities in a democracy. Especially when the party and voter that seeks it, refuses to address the disenfranchisement felt by millions with the First Past the Post voting system, unelected House of Lords, centralisation of UK government and unequal party political financing.

You want my support for voter ID laws? then you better start supporting stuff like PR voting, online voting, automatic voting registration, elected House of Lords and public funding of political parties. Because this working class black brit know's his political history.

Shameful thread and shame OP.
summer1311
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Reformed2010)

hey I didn't say I felt one way or another, just trying to get people's views on things currently in the news
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by summer1311)
hey I didn't say I felt one way or another, just trying to get people's views on things currently in the news
I am so sorry, I got you and the second poster mixed up in my little ranting rage. Should have typed slowly and calmed down before I hit submit. Shame on me too.
Getinthegutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It would not surprise me if the Labour Party benefited from this- Students was more likely to be sucked in by Jeremy's message on tuition fees which the shadow communist chancellor said was more of an ambition then a pledge despite it being in the manifesto- essentially meaning if Labour won its manifesto would not be worth the paper it was written on. Its a generational thing over 50's are more likely to vote tory - although maybe not this time because the tories was out to get pensioners- 18-24's are more likely to vote Labour. Unfortunately both mainstream political parties lack common sense so i went for a fringe protest vote.
George32
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reformed2010)
There is no evidence this has anything to do with the Labour parliamentary party, the Labour party membership, Momentum or coordinated group of individuals.

There is however evidence of the Conservative party it self breaking electoral rules and they are under investigation. But hey, let's try to have a go at British ethnic minorities and the young at any chance we got. Because, politics.

I will never support voting ID laws that have been proven time after time, in history and around the world to disportionately disenfranchise lower income and ethnic minorities in a democracy. Especially when the party and voter that seeks it, refuses to address the disenfranchisement felt by millions with the First Past the Post voting system, unelected House of Lords, centralisation of UK government and unequal party political financing.

You want my support for voter ID laws? then you better start supporting stuff like PR voting, online voting, automatic voting registration, elected House of Lords and public funding of political parties. Because this working class black brit know's his political history.

Tbh the argument that a small proportion of students may have registered both their university address and home address to vote for Corbyn isn't unfounded or an inherent attack of British ethnic minorities and the young; especially given JC's turnout. He has a huge student fanbase so concerns will be raised... as they should for anyone with significant support from a group who could in theory easily vote twice an election.

If he received little-to-no votes from longstanding voters who always vote Labour, and newspapers' claims specifically referred to students in largely minority areas, then I'd be right with you. However, the thread and OP refers to students in general so it's not shameful - I know you addressed this later in the thread. I'm just posting my initial view here.

Proud working class black Brit too here btw; also a Tory (though ngl I'm not a huge fan of the party atm) and you shouldn't apply socio-economic issues that really affect us where they don't. It's disingenuous. Of course we face attacks in politics - just look at how Diane Abbot is treated - but Labour's votes aren't always from minorities or the working class as Labour bet on. Pretty sure Nus Ghani, Kemi Badenoch, Seema Kennedy, Kwasi Kwarteng, James Cleverly, or Sam Gyimah didn't vote for Corbyn; or anyone in my area who's centre to centre-right despite race or position. Ya know -- just in case you bring out the class or 'ur black tho so y u a Tory' card ... just being cynical I'm pretty liberal tbh: swap Liz Kendall or Jarvis for Corbyn and I'm closer aligned.

Nevertheless, The Mirror even acknowledged the concerns - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...orbyn-10819772 - so I doubt it's just everyday politics from The Telegraph or Evening Standard.

Also Voting ID laws are beneficial in theory; I agree it disenfranchises in reality. Online voting, however, wouldn't address voter fraud for obvious reasons & why would you want the House of Lords to be an elected body? It sounds good in theory but it'd be pseudo-democracy - imagine political deadlock despite, or in spite of, the majority in the HoC? ...it'd devalue power given by the public to MPs. Though we should stop hereditary peerages IMO; and yeah the current demographic of the House of Lords is pretty poor.

What do you think about having a 50% elected, 50% invited HoL? Do you think it'd be effective or is it just semantics?

Public funding of political parties? Yeah sure. Though IMO organisations and professional bodies should have every right to donate to parties since politics should represent everyone. Just as much as trade unions sponsor and back Labour, SMEs and Corporates should be able to do the same with the Conservative Party
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Students are just lazy layabouts and can't be bothered to vote"

"Students are so determined to vote that they're finding ways to vote twice"

...???
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
The whole voting system is wide open to fraud and abuse:

Postal voting, absent voting applications, campaigners handling blank and absent voting materials and completed ballot packs;
Proxy voting;
No requirement for ID other than stating name and address at polling stations, wide open to identity theft and impersonation;
Alternate addresses voting twice;
High risk of coercion and using otherwise abstained voter places in concentrations of ethnic patriarchal communities - South Asian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities in particular using cultural influence to mobilise extended family and community networks to secure block votes - also associated with postal vote fraud and abuse;

It really does not surprise me in the slightest. Judging by some of the vitriol espoused by Labour supporters here on TSR during the election and Grenfell disaster, it would not only be entirely feasible but probable.

Corbyn's youth movement is the tip of the iceberg.
Whereas the political right and Tories are saints aren't they?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Whereas the political right and Tories are saints aren't they?
You may well imply that. I couldn't possibly comment.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
You may well imply that. I couldn't possibly comment.
So your comment makes an allegation about vote fraud without evidence.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is almost as bad as claiming there is a safety issue with one man trains without any supporting evidence.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You’ve come to the right place!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suggest you do some homework and look up the Electoral Commission reports on Electoral Fraud. Of course, I am entitled to my own opinion as well, which only mirrors the tactics used by the Corbynista yoof init. What's good for the goose (Corbyn really is a prize goose) and all that. nomsayin bro?
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They voted twice and still Corbyn lost and May is still the PM. There needs to be changes made to the Electoral Commission. ID is a must in poll votes.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've not read into this much, but I notice a lot of very targeted emphasis on "votes for Corbyn" as if this is somehow his fault. The vote is for the party and the prospective MP, not the leader. Nor is it the fault of the party or any member, for that matter.

That's not to say that the system isn't flawed.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How could they have voted for Corbyn twice when he is in one constituency?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
I've not read into this much, but I notice a lot of very targeted emphasis on "votes for Corbyn" as if this is somehow his fault. The vote is for the party and the prospective MP, not the leader. Nor is it the fault of the party or any member, for that matter.
Really?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (21)
38.18%
No I don't (23)
41.82%
I work during the holidays (11)
20%

Watched Threads