The Student Room Group

Maths Graduate

Hi so I'm going to graduate soon with 2.1 in Mathematics from Imperial College London and have no idea what to do. What does maths graduates generally do?
Reply 1
With a 2.1 you can probably be trusted to at least cook the burgers.

Or the maths degree may help on the tills.
you could apply to Countdown to take over from Rachel ?
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
you could apply to Countdown to take over from Rachel ?

Why would you even suggest that?!
Reply 5
Original post by numberphil01
hahaha lmao

you are in a very good position to enter the workplace in a graduate role. many maths graduates gravitate towards accountancy/actuary type of work, but really the world is your oyster.

:borat:
you are in a very good position to enter the workplace in a graduate role. many maths graduates gravitate towards accountancy/actuary type of work, but really the world is your oyster.

Hi thanks yes I've been looking into this. It looks promising. Also do you know of any good uni's that accept 2.1 for Msc?
Hi thanks yes I've been looking into this. It looks promising. Also do you know of any good uni's that accept 2.1 for Msc?

if you ask on the postgrad forum the experts will assist you:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

:h:
if you ask on the postgrad forum the experts will assist you:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

:h:

Reply 11
I think almost every uni has a minimum requirement of a 2:1 for any MSc. I've only seen Warwick require a first but that was for MPhil/PhD.
Hi so I'm going to graduate soon with 2.1 in Mathematics from Imperial College London and have no idea what to do. What does maths graduates generally do?

Do you have any interest in computer science? If so there are 2 big areas right now where they have a huge shortage of math graduates:

1) Data Science: It's a big thing at the moment and the actual coding part is pretty easy, the issue is that there aren't enough people with a math background to understand that stats/modelling required.

2) Cryptography: Massive area. I know QUB, for example, are working with GCHQ for funded PhD's in the area of cryptography and NIST have launched more competitions to figure out post-quantum cryptography and lightweight cryptography which a lot of academics are working on, and yet there is a shortage of cryptographers out there are the moment. Given the cyber security war that's going on at the moment, cryptography is a good area to move in to at the moment.
Reply 13

Agree with this a Maths degree is very versatile there is sooo much you can do. I studied maths and from my course a few people went into accountancy and finance, others went into pensions, investment banking, data science, PhDs, data analyst, teaching etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending