The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Full-time postgraduate degree and part-time work.

Hello, everybody.

I got accepted to the University of St. Andrews this year for the Msc in Finance. It is a full-time 1 year course. I am planning of finding any kind of job with a part-time hours (~20h pw) to cover my living cost at least in the first semester.

Is anybody doing this, did it or planning to do and have any experience to share? Is it possible to perform very well considering I would have to attend work 2-3 times a week? Are people doing this quite often in St. Andrews?

Thank you very much !

Paul
Reply 1
Hi! I think it depends on your course and how many lectures/seminars you have, but I'd say it's possible.
I've worked part time every year of my undergrad and I don't think it would be too different.
I'm starting an MLitt in Creative Writing at St Andrews this September and I'm also planning to find a part time job - so I definitely hope it's doable and would like to have some tips from someone who has done it before.
I also wonder how hard is it to actually find a part time job in St Andrews since it's relatively a small place...

Sorry if I wasn't able to give you a better answer! But it's nice to know I'm not the only one planning to work and study at the same time 😊
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Paulotr
Hello, everybody.

I got accepted to the University of St. Andrews this year for the Msc in Finance. It is a full-time 1 year course. I am planning of finding any kind of job with a part-time hours (~20h pw) to cover my living cost at least in the first semester.

Is anybody doing this, did it or planning to do and have any experience to share? Is it possible to perform very well considering I would have to attend work 2-3 times a week? Are people doing this quite often in St. Andrews?

Thank you very much !

Paul

I did my undergrad in St Andrews and worked in town for the whole of undergrad. It was totally manageable, and most places wouldn't expect a student to do more than 15-20 hours a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending