Netflix, To The Bone - What did you think?

Watch this thread
username2459871
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was a bit wary about watching this film, because if it was anything like 13 Reasons Why I would have never trusted a Netflix Original again.

I thought 13 Reasons Why's portrayal of depression was a pile of trollop and that the suicide scene was extremely inapproprate.

I feel like Netflix have redeemed themselves slightly with To The Bone - it probably helps that the director and Lily Collins had both experienced eating disorders. However it's a bit messed up that Lily Collins was allowed to lose weight for the role (even if she was given a dietician) and I understand that showing a person in such a waif-like state has the potential to be a massive trigger for those who are currently suffering or have suffered from eating disorders in the past. Likewise, this could also be a trigger for those who have never suffered from an eating disorder, but are vulnerable to having such thoughts.

I enjoyed the film, but these thoughts ran through my mind whilst watching - I'm not sure what to think.

Anyone here fancy giving me their opinion? In particular, is there anyone here with / who had an eating disorder that can explain how they feel?
PhoebeM99
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Honestly I thought it was a decent film. There wasn't really any romanticization of eating disorders. They showed the 'ugly' side of anorexia in a realistic way. Wish the ending had been different though.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
We can't just avoid topic because it might "trigger" people, it is important that sensitive topics are covered and given screen time as not so much to raise awareness, but to raise understanding.

I haven't watched it yet but I will watch it tonight when I get home. I have suffered from an eating disorder and kind of still do so I shall see what it is like.
thedevotchka
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought it did a really good job. Yes, the emaciated bodies were uncomfortable and potentially 'triggering' but the film portrayed the realities of living with anorexia really well. Not glamorous or desirable, and certainly not pretty.

It's not a Netflix original which helps, too. Marti Noxon kept creative control of the story which I think was a massive factor in keeping it 'real'.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm about 2/3 of the way through at the moment and I think it's a lot better than 13 Reasons why so far
sparkle_fairy
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was ok.

Whilst I've never had experience of inpatient treatment (I've been hospitalised though) I thought that the depiction of what treatment like that was completley wrong - 'just eat what you want' is never going to happen, and when I was in general hospital it was 'you will eat this all, no ifs or buts and you will stay here until you've done it' or 'we are not discharging you until you've eaten all your meals' and stuff, so I thought that was not accurate.

I thought that the family therapy session was quite accurate in a way, and that made me cry quite a lot - especially what the sister said and when Ellen apologised for being a 'problem not a person' because that's exactly how I used to feel in my family sessions.

And when the doctor said that sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to come up again, I thought that was very true.

Overall, I thought it was ok, not amazing, but ok.
mrsuperguy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was alright. Bits of it are really uncomfortable to watch (especially that scene with ellen & her mum, you know which one). I thought the window into the psyche of an anorexic was really insightful, but i'd have liked to see the film delve deeper into the hows and whys of ellen's condition, as well as those of the other patients. I thought that after watching it, there was something missing but couldn't quite put my finger on it, something left unexplored. I went into it, expecting to come out with a new found empathy for people with anorexia, but i feel like the patients' conditions weren't at the forefront of the film and that it didn't explore them quite as much as i was expecting which isn't to say that's for the worse.
I also applaud the creators of the film for daring to explore a difficult thing such as anorexia, and i applaud anyone who attempts to do so.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was a good film documenting the struggles of the average you person with an eating disorder. I liked how a male was inpatient also. However it did not display how inpatient care truly works, it is not optional to eat and tend to have a stricter schedule. I thought the way the inpatient care was shown was a good approach.

It was a shame they incorporated a romance to be honest, I'd have preferred to see the recoveries and further struggles of each character

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I managed to get through 30 minutes, then I had to stop. Somethings I just can't deal with, evidently this is one of those things.
SAMHANLEY88
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
harsh and realistic, very good representation of the struggle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
20.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.64%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.24%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.84%

Watched Threads