Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good Boarding schools in England? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I currently study in Italy but i would like to go and do IB in a boarding school in the England. I currently only know three ones which are world famous ones (Seveoaks, Eton and Westminster) but I wanted to have a wider range of options to consider, mabye even including a few hidden gems. My requirements for the school are: it must have an IB programme, the school must be of a good level with high average grades and, most importantly, it must have a rowing team.
    If anyone knows any who fulfill this requirements I would be very grateful if you could share their names with me :P
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacopo6)
    I currently study in Italy but i would like to go and do IB in a boarding school in the England. I currently only know three ones which are world famous ones (Seveoaks, Eton and Westminster) but I wanted to have a wider range of options to consider, mabye even including a few hidden gems. My requirements for the school are: it must have an IB programme, the school must be of a good level with high average grades and, most importantly, it must have a rowing team.
    If anyone knows any who fulfill this requirements I would be very grateful if you could share their names with me :P
    Thanks in advance
    Harrow is another good one. Don't know if they do IB though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    Sevenoaks doesn't do boarding, and Eton doesn't do the IB.

The IB/boarding combo is going to be a hard one to find. Marlborough is the only one I can think of off the top of my head: http://www.tatler.com/guides/schools...orough-college
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    Have a look at schools that participate at Henley (specifically the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup - see spoiler) and then cross reference it with this:
    http://www.ibo.org/programmes/find-a...ogrammeDP=true
    You can filter the IB list by boarding school.

Edit: you might find my HRR rowing filter is too high a barrier. There's many schools that offer rowing but didn't qualify for HRR this year - e.g. Wellington College. That's a good one to consider.

Spoiler:
    Show

https://www.hrr.co.uk/henley-royal-r...t-2017-entries

THE PRINCESS ELIZABETH CHALLENGE CUP

Holders: Eton College

157 Abingdon School
    158 Bedford Modern School
    159 Bedford School
    160 Cheltenham College
    161 Deerfield Academy, U.S.A.
    162 Dulwich College
    163 Eton College
    164 Gonzaga College High School, U.S.A.
    165 Great Marlow School
    166 Hampton School
    167 Kent School, U.S.A.
    168 King's College School, Wimbledon
    169 Latymer Upper School
    170 Monkton Combe School
    171 Monmouth School
    172 Montclair High School, U.S.A.
    173 Norwich School
    174 Pangbourne College
    175 Radley College
    176 Reading Blue Coat School
    177 St. Albans School, U.S.A.
    178 St. Edward's School
    179 St. George's College
    180 St. Paul's School
    181 Scotch College, Melbourne, Australia
    182 Shiplake College
    183 Shrewsbury School
    184 Tabor Academy, U.S.A.
    185 The Episcopal Academy, U.S.A.
    186 The Haverford School, U.S.A.
    187 The King's School, Chester
    188 The King's School, Worcester
    189 The London Oratory School
    190 The Oratory School
    191 The Windsor Boys' School
    192 Westminster School
    193 Winchester College
    194 Yarm School

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carmen.xx)
    Harrow is another good one. Don't know if they do IB though.
    They don't.

(Original post by JohnGreek)

The IB/boarding combo is going to be a hard one to find. Marlborough is the only one I can think of off the top of my head: http://www.tatler.com/guides/schools...orough-college
    Wellington.

ReputationRep:

Sevenoaks does

Sorry, but this is false. Sevenoaks does Boarding and the IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambach10)
    Sevenoaks does

Sorry, but this is false. Sevenoaks does Boarding and the IB.
    I'm happy that you felt compelled to reply twice to the same post on a month-old thread.

In any case, you're absolutely right. I apologise for my omission.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy that you felt compelled to reply twice to the same post on a month-old thread.

In any case, you're absolutely right. I apologise for my omission.
    Sorry that was my mistake.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that was my mistake.
    Do they have a strong rowing crew?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are very engaged in waterspouts, yes

ReputationRep:
    Sorry *sports
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    They are very engaged in waterspouts, yes
    Rowing at Henley or similar isn't being "engaged in waterspouts"...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so although I am rower myself (used to row for a club that participates at Henley) I don't know if Sevenoaks has any rowing club at all but I do know that sports and water sports are a huge focus for the school so it could well be the case.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so although I am rower myself (used to row for a club that participates at Henley) I don't know if Sevenoaks has any rowing club at all but I do know that sports and water sports are a huge focus for the school so it could well be the case.
    It was important for the OP

I can't find any indication of rowing at Sevenoaks. (But could be wrong...)

PS. Please quote people otherwise they don't know when you reply

ReputationRep:
    I studied IB at Wellington College, Berkshire (an English boarding school) and it was really fun!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.