The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
0 div curl F
These are all physics subjects, they describe the real world using maths. It just seems applied mathematicians like to steal a few classical ideas and plough through the 2nd order ode's and pde's for some reason, maybe relativity or quantum idea's was too obscure for them?

It's not stealing. It's just "doing". Who cares what the person classifies themself as.

I know a mathematician doing both relativity and quantum mechanics and he has as much an idea of what's actually going on as any physicist. It's not just teaching the equations without saying what they mean!

Any good physics course would also "plough through the 2nd order odes and pdes". Unless you're just told results without any remote form of proof or reason why it may be true.
0 div curl F
I understand this only too well that a lot of pure maths is used in physics at some point but my point was that what was the point of solving the pure maths problem when there wasn't a physics motivation behind it in the first place.

If all the mathematicians down the years had pursued a problem only where there was some kind of Physical motivation, the progress of mathematical knowledge(and hence our knowledge of physics) would have been delayed quite considerably.
Reply 82
The thing i hate most?

Understanding all the theory, but not being able to answer the questions.
generalebriety
Again, this is your opinion. One of my lecturers thinks exactly the same as you and thinks it's a great idea to draw circuits on the board or talk about shock absorbers or various other physicsy things, you know, just to broaden our horizons, or whatever; I don't understand a word he says and I'm not interested in any of it (and the two are definitely linked), and every time he starts talking about it I wish he'd shut up.
Yeah, it would be nice if he would just massage more equations for us.
ad absurdum
Yeah, it would be nice if he would just massage more equations for us.

Well, they are very nice.

Reply 85
0 div curl F
Mechanics and physics are different things? I hope that was a joke, I don't think you could get any further from the truth.
The whole point of quantum mechanics is to predict mechanics, i.e. the motion of particles, at the microscopic level.

In my humble opinion, part of mechanics will overlap with parts of physics, and vice versa, but they are not actually the same subjects.

Also, mechanics and quantum mechanics are definately two different things.
"Quantum Mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of"

Back to the point of the thread:
I hate ... minus signs. They seem to crop up all over the place, and, if you miss one out, the entire equation collapses about your ears. Just Irritating.
BibbleJW
Also, mechanics and quantum mechanics are definitely two different things.
"Quantum Mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of"

I'm afraid your completely wrong in that statement. Look up the correspondence principle on wikipedia, heres the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_principle
div curl F = 0....What is a div curl and what is F?
fusionskd
div curl F = 0....What is a div curl and what is F?

My username is just a vector identity. F is a vector field, and the divergence of the curl of any vector field F is always zero.
The divergence of a vector is a differential operator, that depends on the choice of coordinate system, that when applied to a vector, returns a scalar. This tells you about how the field "spreads out".
The curl of a vector is a very similar differential operator that returns a another vector field, and this tells you about the rotational properties of the field.

The upside down triangle in my avatar is the differential operator in question, most commonly called "del", or "grad", or "nabla".

When doing things like Electromagnetism or Electrodynamics, or newtonian gravitation, your always happy when you can use a vector identity like this because problems simplify upon its use in general.
If you apply this identity to faraday's law for instance, it immediately tells you that there can exist no magnetic monopoles, because the divergence of the magnetic field is always zero, for dynamic and static cases.

If your interested in these types of "equations", wikipedia is your best bet
0 div curl F
My username is just a vector identity. F is a vector field, and the divergence of the curl of any vector field F is always zero.
The divergence of a vector is a differential operator, that depends on the choice of coordinate system, that when applied to a vector, returns a scalar. This tells you about how the field "spreads out".
The curl of a vector is a very similar differential operator that returns a another vector field, and this tells you about the rotational properties of the field.

The upside down triangle in my avatar is the differential operator in question, most commonly called "del", or "grad", or "nabla".

When doing things like Electromagnetism or Electrodynamics, or newtonian gravitation, your always happy when you can use a vector identity like this because problems simplify upon its use in general.
If you apply this identity to faraday's law for instance, it immediately tells you that there can exist no magnetic monopoles, because the divergence of the magnetic field is always zero, for dynamic and static cases.

If your interested in these types of "equations", wikipedia is your best bet

Thank you for the info :smile:
Everything is numbers, Math is everywhere

For those who hate math [or for math enthusiasts, or for everyone for that matter :P] because they thing it has no or little significance to the real world, heres a tiny taster to show your wrong, video clip from Numb3rs.
:biggrin: Enjoy
That video was ****e, I thought he was going to burst into song or do something lavish and exciting.

Ow yeh, and this, THIS IS A FLOWER.
hamtomilton
That video was ****e, I thought he was going to burst into song or do something lavish and exciting.

Ow yeh, and this, THIS IS A FLOWER.

Lol you joker...You should watch numb3rs...Great show :smile:. For mathematicians and otherwise. Check it out :smile:
fusionskd
Lol you joker...You should watch numb3rs...Great show :smile:. For mathematicians and otherwise. Check it out :smile:

I agree with hamtomilton. I was hoping the woman was gonna slap the man.
generalebriety
I agree with hamtomilton. I was hoping the woman was gonna slap the man.

Lol you dont appreciate the beauty of it....:smile:
...I thought it was a bit of a cliched example...

Edit: I mean what the man in the video said, not the video itself.
I see lol
Also, the guy says 'the ratio is approximately something-point-blah-blah-blah', whereas a proper maths geek would have said 'the limit of the ratio is (1+sqrt5)/2'. [although that might require an infinite flower, I suppose]

Admittedly, that's not quite so poetic. I think the poor lass would have got a bit upset if he'd said that. Also, you don't get authentic maths geeks impressing women on TV.

Why am I getting so enthusiastic about this...?!:rolleyes:

Another maths thing that upset me was when I, in a moment of idiocy, decided to watch Mean Girls. I still can't believe what a big deal they made out of cross-multiplication in emphasising how great whatshername was at maths.
why cant dy/dx just act like a fraction :mad: :p:
Reply 99
8 eugenius
why cant dy/dx just act like a fraction :mad: :p:

Sometimes it does - in quite an informal way.

It's just notation. Write y'(x) if you prefer.

Latest