The Student Room Group

Gaming PC, or Decent laptop that can run games to bring in accommodation?

Hi, i am starting my first year at University in September, I currently have a decent gaming PC at home and im not quite keen on taking it with me although it would perform better than any laptop i would get, but im leaning towards investing in a Laptop that i can do my University work on, play games,watch movies and do other stuff as it would be much more convenient as i could take it anywhere with me as it is small.

I am quite a big gamer, most of the time when im home i am playing games with friends, but when university starts that will all change, but i do not want to give up playing games, but i doubt i would have the time to play much when i go to uni,if uni life is what im expecting it to be, but i still want the option for when i get bored.

I have about £1100 in saving but not sure if i want to spend it all on a good laptop that fits my needs as well as gaming.

The thing that worries me about taking my PC is that there is a small chance it can get stolen or get damaged and also the hassle of transportation back and forth between my house and the uni accommodation.

So what do you guys recommend on doing buying a laptop or taking my current desktop pc to my dorm room.
(edited 6 years ago)
Definitely a Laptop for your case
Reply 2
Hi there, my experience it HP laptops has been great so far. At the moment I've got an HP Envy 17 which is a bit bulky but a brutal machine. If you'd like the smaller one, there is an option of HP Envy 15. It's specs are good enough for gaming too. Shouldn't cost you more than 600.

The thing with desktops is that they're vulnerable to damage fi bumped around a bit. So I deffo wouldn't recommend that.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-ENVY-15-j186na-Notebook-Silver/dp/B00LIQCKSU
Could you just go m-ATX and buy a node or something?

Then again the price: performance with MSI laptops at £1100 is pretty good atm. I forget the model, but the one that is packing the reference 1060 is good value.
Reply 4
Original post by Piña colada
Could you just go m-ATX and buy a node or something?

Then again the price: performance with MSI laptops at £1100 is pretty good atm. I forget the model, but the one that is packing the reference 1060 is good value.

If i do end up getting a laptop the max ill prob pay is around £650
Original post by Reece7
If i do end up getting a laptop the max ill prob pay is around £650

I would not bother then, the price: performance will struggle.

Why don't you just go m-ATX and get a Fractal node?
I would take a compact desktop and get a lightweight laptop. You don't want to be carring around a huge gaming laptop and they aren't very good value. Best to get a laptop for taking notes / watching movies, and a good value PC that you build yourself. I would reccoment spending up to £500 on the laptop depending on how powerful you need it, the rest can go to the pc
If I were you, I'd take the gaming PC and then get a lightweight laptop, or a Windows tablet with a keyboard. That's the set up I've moved to in the last year since my laptop, which was my sole computer died. Built my desktop, which obviously lives in my student flat and then bought a Windows tablet which has a keyboard, which I can take into uni with me if I need to. I've found that I didn't actually tend to use my laptop that much, as I much prefer to take notes by hand. All I was using it for was group projects and sometimes filling the large gaps in my uni timetable at work when I couldn't go home in between lectures. As someone said above, a gaming laptop is likely to be pretty big and heavy. My laptop wasn't a gaming one and it was still heavy enough that I wasn't particularly keen to lug it around campus.

With the issue of it getting stolen or damaged, I'd actually say that's far more likely for a laptop, particularly one that might look high value. After all a laptop is easy for someone to slip in a bag - my desktop at least is a lot larger and harder to carry subtly. And since it doesn't move much, the likelihood of it getting damaged is pretty slim. Transporting it to/from home, which I do fairly frequently at the moment is the most 'dangerous' time for it, and as long as you take precautions like removing the GPU and lying it on it's side in a car, then it's fine. This is of course assuming will be getting to/from your home to halls in a car.
Reply 8
oi
dont get another laptops
there useless they make them so cheap it onlylasts about 6 months
what is your desk top

if your playing some cheap half way games then yeah
they only go on graphics and band weith you can play them on your laptop
doesnt take much to run them
all laptops now are fast enought o run all games almost its the ram and space you need

i take my computer its better then using a laptops
there useless plus there only for work
then they go dead after 6 months

plus if you use wireless then its not use on taking your computer there
hehehe
:tongue:
Take your ps1

Quick Reply

Latest