The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do your hands get chopped off if you steal in Saudi Arabia?

As a thief if you steal something in Saudi Arabia will they cut off one of your hands? Note: I am not in any way trying to portray Muslims as bad people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The RAR
As a thief if you steal something in Saudi Arabia will they cut off one of your hands? Note: I am not in any way trying to portray Muslims as bad people

The note wasn't needed at all.
Yeah according to Google
Apparently, yes.
It's a barbaric society
Reply 5
Disturbingly, many more people are beheaded every year than have punitive amputations - on average, one every two days! And not just for the expected apostasy or adultery, but also for "witchcraft and sorcery"! I **** you not.
Bear in mind that the KSA has no constitution or formal legal system. Every ruling is derived solely from the Quran or the sunnah (sayings of Muhammad).
Original post by The RAR

Not sure if it's true i went there a few years back and some guy stole something from the hotel we were staying at he was being chased by another man don't know what the outcome of that was who knows..
Never was sure about this and is only the citizens born in saudi and not anywhere else?! Either way, I think the punishment is fair.
Reply 8
What people fail to understand due to their ignorance (and due to believing whatever they read) is that the punishment isn't given just like that straight away. If a person is guilty of theft there are conditions which must be met, witnesses present etc. before he is subject to punishment.

I've included them in the spoiler

Spoiler

It's absolutely fair and anyone who commits a crime has to pay the price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
What people fail to understand due to their ignorance (and due to believing whatever they read) is that the punishment isn't given just like that straight away. If a person is guilty of theft there are conditions which must be met, witnesses present etc. before he is subject to punishment.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well said.
Reply 10
If it is true then they should really implement this kind of punishment here in the UK, it will stop crime for good as theft keeps increasing here in the UK. Of course context of the thief(If he is ill or drunk etc...) will be taken into account as well as the reason for the theft if they are good enough, the amount stolen should be more than £400 and if the thief is a repeated offender before deciding if the thief should have one of his hands cut off.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't fair, but anyway. Witnesses are notoriously unreliable at the best of times. I'm sure testimony and evidence is often fabricated to achieve a desired result

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jzkk for educating the ignorant yet again :h:

Also I believe if the person stealing can prove they were stealing out of necessity (to survive or feed their child) then a much lesser sentence will be given? I'll have to double check though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by YaliaV
It isn't fair

Then don't steal.
bruh atleast they had three chances 😩
Original post by The RAR

Yea. But not the first time i think. You need to be a repeat offender
Reply 16
Original post by EternalLight
Then don't steal.

Exactly, just follow the law and you will be fine, if you steal you obviously have to pay the price, be it barbaric or not unless the thief is proved innocent or the context of the thief is good enough or the reason for their theft is good enough(E.g stealing to survive).
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd also like to point out that Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the UAE are some of the safest countries on the planet. They have less crime than Luxembourg for goodness sake.

The punishments may seem severe but they are more for deterrents and it obviously works. It's there to deter you from crime more so then to punish you after the fact.
Reply 18
Original post by HAnwar

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to be absolutely clear, you think that theft is a good reason for your hand to be chopped off?
Original post by EternalLight
Then don't steal.

You really think mutilating someone for theft is just? :erm:

Latest

Trending

Trending