GusA
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys.
I am a current biomedical science student and have just finished 1st year with a 1st. I am going to be applying for GEM in 2019 (if I graduate with a 2;1 or 1st.)
When I go back to university in September I'm going to start looking for work experience. My question is: should I privately sit A level chemistry in my second year at university? I have current A levels in biology, geography and psychology at grades A*AA but when I look at graduate medicine courses a lot of them require A level chemistry at grade A or B. So yeah... should I sit a level chemistry next year?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Horsedobbin
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
No, don't bother.
GusA
Rep:
Thank you for replying horsedobbin. Is there any particular reason not to bother? My current degree includes a lot of chemistry but universities still seem to want an A level in chemistry
Horsedobbin
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Thank you for replying horsedobbin. Is there any particular reason not to bother? My current degree includes a lot of chemistry but universities still seem to want an A level in chemistry
You've just answered your own question. Your degree includes Chemistry so there's no point in taking a qualification at a lower level.
GusA
Rep:
(Original post by Horsedobbin)
You've just answered your own question. Your degree includes Chemistry so there's no point in taking a qualification at a lower level.
That's my question though. Do I need to sit a level chemistry despite my degree containing biochemistry, analytical chemistry etc. It is difficult to tell on some graduate medical courses
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
That's my question though. Do I need to sit a level chemistry despite my degree containing biochemistry, analytical chemistry etc. It is difficult to tell on some graduate medical courses
Look at each individual medical school. If their requirements are a degree + specific A-levels, then you're gonna need those A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pete92
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Most unis will drop the requirement for A-level chem if they determine that your degree contains enough chemistry, email them to find out they might require you to send an out line of your modules. I applied to Newcastle, Southampton and Barts with no A-level chemistry.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Hi guys.
I am a current biomedical science student and have just finished 1st year with a 1st. I am going to be applying for GEM in 2019 (if I graduate with a 2;1 or 1st.)
When I go back to university in September I'm going to start looking for work experience. My question is: should I privately sit A level chemistry in my second year at university? I have current A levels in biology, geography and psychology at grades A*AA but when I look at graduate medicine courses a lot of them require A level chemistry at grade A or B. So yeah... should I sit a level chemistry next year?

You don't need to do the A level chemistry for some universities. Have a look at this and scroll to GEM courses where they tell you exactly the A levels, if any, you need:
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf
GusA
Rep:
(Original post by Pete92)
Most unis will drop the requirement for A-level chem if they determine that your degree contains enough chemistry, email them to find out they might require you to send an out line of your modules. I applied to Newcastle, Southampton and Barts with no A-level chemistry.
(Original post by SGHD26716)
You don't need to do the A level chemistry for some universities. Have a look at this and scroll to GEM courses where they tell you exactly the A levels, if any, you need:
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf
(Original post by Moonstruck16)
Look at each individual medical school. If their requirements are a degree + specific A-levels, then you're gonna need those A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you all very much for the responses. The thing I am concerned about is whether universities not asking for A level chemistry but then giving preference to people with A level chemistry; are they allowed to do this? And am I narrowing my options my not sitting A level chemistry? I'm just wondering whether a level chemistry will be difficult after completing degree level chemistry
S.G.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Thank you all very much for the responses. The thing I am concerned about is whether universities not asking for A level chemistry but then giving preference to people with A level chemistry; are they allowed to do this? And am I narrowing my options my not sitting A level chemistry? I'm just wondering whether a level chemistry will be difficult after completing degree level chemistry
I don't think so. If it's not in their requirement, then I don't think it would be a problem.

You could always phone the universities to ask
nexttime
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would email them and ask.
Pete92
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
From my experience you will not be disadvantaged by not having A level chemistry, there is no need to worry. You should just focus on getting a 1st and then smashing the UKCAT. I managed to get 4 interviews with no A levels at all.
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Hi guys.

Hey. Congrats on getting a 1st in year 1. personally, I wouldn't bother as long as I was eligible to apply for 5/6-ish medical schools. Your grades do meet most medical schools. I would recommend emailing the medical schools you are interested in to be absolutely clear. Also, I advise you to ask them if they say ''no you don't require A-level chemistry'' if this will change in the 2019 cycle. On a last note- have you thought about applying to an undergraduate course as a graduate?
GusA
Rep:
(Original post by Pete92)
From my experience you will not be disadvantaged by not having A level chemistry, there is no need to worry. You should just focus on getting a 1st and then smashing the UKCAT. I managed to get 4 interviews with no A levels at all.
Thank you very much for relying. Congratulations on your offers! I think I'll email medical schools to put my mind at ease.

(Original post by games211)
Hey. Congrats on getting a 1st in year 1. personally, I wouldn't bother as long as I was eligible to apply for 5/6-ish medical schools. Your grades do meet most medical schools. I would recommend emailing the medical schools you are interested in to be absolutely clear. Also, I advise you to ask them if they say ''no you don't require A-level chemistry'' if this will change in the 2019 cycle. On a last note- have you thought about applying to an undergraduate course as a graduate?
Thank you very much games211 for your help. I am going to see if there's 4 GEM courses that don't require A level chemistry to try and put my mind at ease, haha. I will email them about what you said too. Thanks! I haven't looked at undergraduate courses because to my knowledge I will have to self fund some of the course and I come from a poor background and none of my parents have gone to university / unemployed so they wouldn't be able to help me out with funding.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Hi,

I can't speak for other Unis but I can confirm that for Newcastle's A101 course your A Level subjects and grades won't have a bearing on your application

You can read more info here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ryrequirements

Good luck with your application!

Persephone
GusA
Rep:
(Original post by Newcastle University)
Hi,

I can't speak for other Unis but I can confirm that for Newcastle's A101 course your A Level subjects and grades won't have a bearing on your application

You can read more info here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ryrequirements

Good luck with your application!

Persephone
Hi Newcastle. Thanks a lot for the reassurance. You're definitely a university I will be applying to.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GusA)
Hi Newcastle. Thanks a lot for the reassurance. You're definitely a university I will be applying to.
No problem! If you have any other questions about Newcastle just let me know

Persephone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.85%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.66%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (31)
25.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.31%

Watched Threads