The Student Room Group

Talking to a girl on a night out - interested in me or just being friendly?

I don't consider myself particularly great looking, but this girl was.

Basically, I'm out having some drinks and I went out front for a cigarette by myself. I see this girl walking up to the bar entrance with her friends. Next thing I know, she's stood in front of me, asking me for a lighter, even though her friends are all smoking. So I give her a light. Next thing I know, she's firing all kinds of questions at me. If I'm having a good night, if this bar is any good, what my job is, what I study at university, and telling me a bit about herself.

Now, whenever a stranger strikes up a conversation with me my guard's usually up a bit, and as a guy who isn't particularly confident, especially so around an attractive woman. All the time I'm being "cool" and not appearing too keen (inside I'm nervous as ****!) but she's chatting away at me, touching me on the arm, looking me in the eye. The conversation ends when we both finish our cigarettes and I make a quick getaway. Thoughts?
She might be interested. Ever thought about making the first move?
Original post by Anonymous

Basically, I'm out having some drinks and I went out front for a cigarette by myself. I see this girl walking up to the bar entrance with her friends. Next thing I know, she's stood in front of me, asking me for a lighter, even though her friends are all smoking. So I give her a light. Next thing I know, she's firing all kinds of questions at me. If I'm having a good night, if this bar is any good, what my job is, what I study at university, and telling me a bit about herself.

Now, whenever a stranger strikes up a conversation with me my guard's usually up a bit, and as a guy who isn't particularly confident, especially so around an attractive woman. All the time I'm being "cool" and not appearing too keen (inside I'm nervous as ****!) but she's chatting away at me, touching me on the arm, looking me in the eye. The conversation ends when we both finish our cigarettes and I make a quick getaway. Thoughts?

She sounds nice. You should have followed up with a convo later.
Reply 3
I hope you got her number bro, cos unless you have mutual friends, you probably won't see her again.
look at her body language... does she playfully punch you or tease you... does she find it hard to maintain eye contact with you... that sort of thing
Reply 5

definitely was interested, multiple tell tell signs there.

pity you didn't realise it at the time..
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775
definitely was interested, multiple tell tell signs there.

pity you didn't realise it at the time..

The thing is, I'm so used to not being approached by any girl, let alone ones that are really good looking like she was, I just couldn't get my head around the idea of her actually being interested in me.
Reply 7
The thing is, I'm so used to not being approached by any girl, let alone ones that are really good looking like she was, I just couldn't get my head around the idea of her actually being interested in me.

don't dwell on it too much, it will do you no good, chalk it upto experience

Why not? Don't put yourself down!
Best you can hope for is seeing her around in the same spots. If you do, approach her and chat. Take it from there
Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Sammylou40
Why not? Don't put yourself down!
Best you can hope for is seeing her around in the same spots. If you do, approach her and chat. Take it from there
Good luck!

I just don't really view myself as an attractive guy. I'm a little to the chubby side, and to boot I'm very much an introvert.
I just don't really view myself as an attractive guy. I'm a little to the chubby side, and to boot I'm very much an introvert.

So?
We don't all like twiglets or muscle men you know!!!
If you were 25 years older and bald youd be just my type!!!!!
Don't be so critical of yourself. You will have lots to offer. One persons 10 is another's big fat zero!
sounds like she was into you, and if you didn't get her number or facebook then you've blown your chance unless you happen to see her again.
Romance is truly the survival of the fittest.

Ginger hair has been my ready passport to women at the Olympic end of the dating-pool since long before I was deemed conventionally handsome—and, notwithstanding one or two fortuitously-lit mugshots, I'm really not all that handsome.

Trust me: one person's fodder is another's fetish-fuel, and the rarer a specimen you are then the greater the likelihood that a particularly self-assured and gregarious woman will—on occasion—eschew her normal modus operandi and break social orbit in order to engage you like some radar-guided missile of fascination (yes, even when you're awkward, unkempt and blemished with recent acne).

Make no mistake, having shared this predicament myself; I'd give an empirical 80% likelihood of more-than-platonic intent. More's the pity that you didn't reciprocate.
(edited 6 years ago)

Definitely could have pulled her. She was interested.
It depends on the girl, some girls like to fake flirt when they are with you but have no interest in you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending