Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to apply 2 southampton but haven't been there yet but i've put my name down for an open day on 22nd sept but that's the final deadline to hand in my ucas form @ college should i still put it down or stay with a london choice these are my 4 choices
    1 QMU
    2 Kings
    3 BSMS
    4 Southampton/Nottingham/another non BMAT london uni
    see i want 2 choices in london and 2 out so whoever calls me i go i'm kinda leaving it up to fate!
    BASICALLY i just want peoples opinions and views about my choice or just tell me what southampton is like btw YES i've seen "Young Doctors"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W*W*J*D)
    i want to apply 2 southampton but haven't been there yet but i've put my name down for an open day on 22nd sept but that's the final deadline to hand in my ucas form @ college should i still put it down or stay with a london choice these are my 4 choices
    1 QMU
    2 Kings
    3 BSMS
    4 Southampton/Nottingham/another non BMAT london uni
    see i want 2 choices in london and 2 out so whoever calls me i go i'm kinda leaving it up to fate!
    BASICALLY i just want peoples opinions and views about my choice or just tell me what southampton is like btw YES i've seen "Young Doctors"
    Soton do not interview for standard entry, so if you kick ass on paper go for it. If however, you *only* look goo don paper, and are an interview whizz, it might not be the best of places to apply.

Also form 2005, all London unis and BSMS will have AAB minimum standard offers. If might be worth thinking of popping down an ABB uni as number 4 to act as a kind of mental safety net. I say mental, because you always get rejected by your 'sure fire' choice

Good luck!

Oh! And well done on choice number 1 ;() (PS it's QMUL not QMW, although it's known simply as BL, based on the fact that the med schools united and have retained something of their own identify since the triple merger).

ReputationRep:
    "Young Doctors" I'm still not quite sure if that's good press or not :rolleyes:

As fluffy says it has the benefit of not normally interviewing- I think its only southampton and Edinburgh that don't interview these days- Wherever you go the competition is going to be bad/ hard.

Of the people that are going to southampton for BM5 all of them were good on paper and in interview- but picked southampton for different reasons- such as the sports facilties- and the update on the biomed buildings... if you can why not just go down before the start of school and have a wander round? If you go into the biomed buildings I'm sure one of the admissions people would be pleased to give you a quick tour!

ReputationRep:
    I would recomend UCL all though it does the BMAT it has lower entrance grades (ABB) and the BMAT isn't too bad. It is good because it really gets you thinking at the begining of year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Soton do not interview for standard entry, so if you kick ass on paper go for it. If however, you *only* look good on paper, and are an interview whizz, it might not be the best of places to apply.

Also from 2005, all London unis and BSMS will have AAB minimum standard offers. If might be worth thinking of popping down an ABB uni as number 4 to act as a kind of mental safety net. I say mental, because you always get rejected by your 'sure fire' choice

Good luck!

Oh! And well done on choice number 1 ;() (PS it's QMUL not QMW, although it's known simply as BL, based on the fact that the med schools united and have retained something of their own identify since the triple merger).
    erm which med schools want ABB i'm running out of time, dont have time to research anymore and where did you find out about the new admissions requirements ? btw i said QMU not QMW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    (PS it's QMUL not QMW, although it's known simply as BL, based on the fact that the med schools united and have retained something of their own identify since the triple merger).
    why do these medical schools want to be different from the uni?! funny isn't it? my friend who'll be in barts hates it when people say "queen mary"...likewise with KCL and GKT... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I would recomend UCL all though it does the BMAT it has lower entrance grades (ABB) and the BMAT isn't too bad. It is good because it really gets you thinking at the begining of year 13.
    All UoL med schools will have an AAB requirement for 2005 entry - the University are standardising across the board to prevent half of the UoL med school becoming insurance choices (makes juggling the books more difficult).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W*W*J*D)
    erm which med schools want ABB i'm running out of time, dont have time to research anymore and where did you find out about the new admissions requirements ? btw i said QMU not QMW

I found out about the UoL ones from the Head of Admissions at BL. I found out about BSMS from students there. Try www.admissionsforum.co.uk or www.medicalschoolguide.co.uk for medicine specific message boards.

fx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.