The Student Room Group

Is Love Racist?

Anyone watch this program on channel 4? Had some interesting aspects but they failed to explain a lot in detail. I think, often, a predilection to date white people is based not on a fundamental sexual preference; rather, it is linked to the perceived social significance of such an alliance. A reluctance to date people of colour, from both white and non-white people, can be a result of the warped and upsetting belief that this might somehow affect their social capital: that they might be dating non-aspirationally.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GodAtum
Anyone watch this program on channel 4? Had some interesting aspects but they failed to explain a lot in detail. I think, often, a predilection to date white people is based not on a fundamental sexual preference; rather, it is linked to the perceived social significance of such an alliance. A reluctance to date people of colour, from both white and non-white people, can be a result of the warped and upsetting belief that this might somehow affect their social capital: that they might be dating non-aspirationally.

Is love racist? No

I'm brown and will marry a brown person. That doesn't make me a racist
No, I don't think it's racist. Most people prefer their own race.
Original post by GodAtum

No to answer your question
I watched the programme. It was genuinely utter nonsense; tbh, I'm bored of the complete white bashing
Everything is racist to the PC brigade.
Reply 6
It was an interesting show :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
No, I don't think it's racist. Most people prefer their own race.

How about if you're mixed-race? Which race do you think they'd be likely to choose, and is that racist?

Spoiler

Original post by Batgirl98
How about if you're mixed-race? Which race do you think they'd be likely to choose, and is that racist?

Spoiler

Mixed race people thyat are half white choose white people most time. I would not class that racist.
Original post by GodAtum

Yeah I watched it as well. People tend to filter out people who aren't their race because they're not their 'type'
It was actually really interesting. Yeah I believe love is racist.
Reply 10
Mixed race people thyat are half white choose white people most time. I would not class that racist.

What are you basing that on?
The white race is seen as the most admirable race. And Asian mean aren't really seen as attractive.
Reply 12
Original post by Dot.Cotton
Everything is racist to the PC brigade.

Did you watch the programme?

That's true, thanks :h:
Original post by dj1406
What are you basing that on?

? It's true because this country is mostly white.
Original post by maggie43
The white race is seen as the most admirable race. And Asian mean aren't really seen as attractive.

I don't think I've ever seen a tall handsome asian man play as a lead character in any sort of movie. They tend to play as the sort of more nerdy/scientists type. The media seem to always promote diversity by showing white with black. I mean check the amount of male black leads on netflix shows and then see how many asian men are in lead roles (when i say lead i mean main character... if there is a group of main characters yes they do sometimes have the odd asian person).
Original post by SGHD26716
Is love racist? No

I'm brown and will marry a brown person. That doesn't make me a racist

How do you know you'll definitely marry a brown person? What will happen if you end up falling for someone who isn't brown?
Reply 17
Original post by Gatewaymerge
How do you know you'll definitely marry a brown person? What will happen if you end up falling for someone who isn't brown?

Religion and culture
Reply 18
? It's true because this country is mostly white.

I'm literally so confused by how you think that means mixed-race people are more likely to marry white people....
Original post by SGHD26716
Religion and culture

Okay so let us say that you've found a girl who isn't brown that has a completely match to your personality and you find her to be very attractive and she was raised by Indian parents who adopted her while she was young so she is hindu and is accepted in the community and your parents approve, would you still go for a brown girl?

Quick Reply

Latest