The Student Room Group

Would studying Social Policy affect my employment prospects negatively?

I got an A* in Politics and wanted to study it, however, because I did poorly in chemistry I had to take Social Policy through clearing.
I actually enjoy the course, however, it has a bit of a reputation at the university for being a bit of a soft subject(York).
Would graduating with this degree make me less appealing then someone who studied a more traditional social science or would I be on a level playing field? If I asked employers now do you think they would give me an honest response?
probably a slight disadvantage. nothing you can do. do what you can, where you are with what you've got
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
probably a slight disadvantage. nothing you can do. do what you can, where you are with what you've got

Well I could retake my A level and Switch courses.
Original post by mvpmb2020
I got an A* in Politics and wanted to study it, however, because I did poorly in chemistry I had to take Social Policy through clearing.
I actually enjoy the course, however, it has a bit of a reputation at the university for being a bit of a soft subject(York).
Would graduating with this degree make me less appealing then someone who studied a more traditional social science or would I be on a level playing field? If I asked employers now do you think they would give me an honest response?

I know someone who studies at York for your subject. Not disclosing names etc, but I thought Social Policy at York was world-leading in the country (for the UK)?

Not at all what I'd describe as Micky Mouse or not rigorous.

But I guess from your perspective, you could've gone elsewhere or done something else (which I assume was your point)?

I can't see it being viewed any differently compared to any other social science degree and the vast majority of graduate jobs don't require a particular degree subject. What employers look for more is work experience and a strong application.

Well if you want to go and become an engineer, sure, it would since you wouldn't qualify.

But the vast majority of graduate careers out there have no subject requirements. You'll be assessed on your skills, your experiences, your achievements - things that occupy your CV.

And frankly, no one in the real world actually cares about distinctions between "soft" and "hard" subjects to the extent that people do on this forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending