The Student Room Group

Are creative people looked down on?

This poll is closed

Do you think creative people are looked down on?

Yes 48%
No 36%
Unsure15%
Total votes: 33
Do you think creative people are looked down? If so why?

Scroll to see replies

Steve Jobs...Bill Gates...Walt Disney...just about every big music artist out there - I wouldn't say any of these are looked down on.

On their way up? Perhaps...I think it's because they're 'not like everyone else' and would rather spend their time working on their dreams than sit about watching TV or something equally as unproductive.
What makes you think that ?
Maybe if their creativity was not understood by others I guess.
Reply 3
In my experience, yes. Being imaginative is only looked down upon, nowadays you have to back everything up with facts, putting a limit on creativity.
Reply 4
Not at all, although I think people who do an arts degree are kind of wasting their time and money. I envy them a little, I think my imagination is creative but I struggle at sharing my creativity (I can’t draw, paint, write music, play music, sing, etc etc.)

Why do you think creative people would be looked down on?
The thing with creative fields/arts training is that a lot of people don't think it has value unless you are at the pinnacle of the industry. If you study law and then work in a small firm with none of the big clients, that's still considered worthwhile - as it should be - but if you study music and then work in a HMV-style shop while busking and self-releasing tracks on soundcloud - then a lot of people would say that you'd failed, even though you are surrounded by what you love and are passionate about.

Creative subjects require a significantly greater level of career success to be validated in the eyes of the general public. So yes, I'd say they were looked down upon up until the moment you *make it*. Which is ironic since most creative pursuits are - in my opinion - entirely about the process of getting to the final product, rather than the product itself, yet the exact opposite seems to be the case regarding the legitimacy of the skills required.
I think they most definitely are looked down upon. There's such a massive emphasis on STEM these days, anyone swaying away from that route is automatically labelled a failure or someone who won't do very well in life.

There's also this massive idea that someone, who let's say is studying art, is not bright or only very minimal in the variety of skills they have to offer. And that is completely not true. Some of my most intelligent friends have decided to not fall in to this pressure of "STEM or you'll never get a good job" and have followed their passion through art, and I think that is confidence and mental strength in itself.

People should not be looked down upon or labelled for doing what they want to do in their life, and when it comes down to it, I guess really it's none of our business what anyone else does in terms of occupation anyway! we all offer something valuable to society and we can't all be engineers or doctors or STEM careers, unless we plan on damaging society
Original post by zayn008
Not at all, although I think people who do an arts degree are kind of wasting their time and money. I envy them a little, I think my imagination is creative but I struggle at sharing my creativity (I can’t draw, paint, write music, play music, sing, etc etc.)

Why do you think creative people would be looked down on?

I think they are because most people do logical subjects like: science, maths etc. mostly my friends want to pursue these subjects. Unfortunately their are a few who would have loved to do art or drama but couldn't due to parents. I also had this feeling that me doing creative subjects at a-levels doesn't provide a secure thing, whereas with science and maths you're guaranteed a job.
Reply 8
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I think they are because most people do logical subjects like: science, maths etc. mostly my friends want to pursue these subjects. Unfortunately their are a few who would have loved to do art or drama but couldn't due to parents. I also had this feeling that me doing creative subjects at a-levels doesn't provide a secure thing, whereas with science and maths you're guaranteed a job.

Yeah i get that, I too would've loved drama but its all about wider thinking - if you enjoy drama and want something academic as well you're better off studying english lit since it will contribute to your screen talents/credentials but also provide alternatives if those ambitions fail.

I think the problem is when people sacrifice education for pursuing creativity, I think they can either go hand in hand (e.g sacrificing drama for english lit but pursing drama on the side) or done purely side by side (education in one slot, arts in the other). Due to basic reasons, education obviously takes the upper hand since it isn't a gamble and provides stronger security. Someone might want to do an Art A-level, truth is art isn't a respected a-level, you probably wont enjoy it since you dont enjoy much artistic freedom and a lot of the stuff is just to make it suitable to be called an A-level not to boost artistic skills so you're better off pursuing it on the side.

When I go to university I plan on joining drama clubs, comedy clubs, art clubs, photography clubs, etc but ive taken the side by side route. I think its wrong to argue someone can sacrifice education for arts but we should encourage them to pursue it non-academically or go for an academic route which satisfies both
Original post by zayn008
Yeah i get that, I too would've loved drama but its all about wider thinking - if you enjoy drama and want something academic as well you're better off studying english lit since it will contribute to your screen talents/credentials but also provide alternatives if those ambitions fail.

I think the problem is when people sacrifice education for pursuing creativity, I think they can either go hand in hand (e.g sacrificing drama for english lit but pursing drama on the side) or done purely side by side (education in one slot, arts in the other). Due to basic reasons, education obviously takes the upper hand since it isn't a gamble and provides stronger security. Someone might want to do an Art A-level, truth is art isn't a respected a-level, you probably wont enjoy it since you dont enjoy much artistic freedom and a lot of the stuff is just to make it suitable to be called an A-level not to boost artistic skills so you're better off pursuing it on the side.

When I go to university I plan on joining drama clubs, comedy clubs, art clubs, photography clubs, etc but ive taken the side by side route. I think its wrong to argue someone can sacrifice education for arts but we should encourage them to pursue it non-academically or go for an academic route which satisfies both

Am going to do English lit and fine art for A-levels. 😂
Reply 10
Why do creative people think their art degree needs to be respected? The sort of creativity we need is people like bill gates who have entrepreneurial talent, people like elon musk who push the boundaries. We dont need more people who take out a loan for useless degrees.

The people who call themselves creative like OP are just people who failed academically and want something to cling on to.
Original post by kane21
Why do creative people think their art degree needs to be respected? The sort of creativity we need is people like bill gates who have entrepreneurial talent, people like elon musk who push the boundaries. We dont need more people who take out a loan for useless degrees.

The people who call themselves creative like OP are just people who failed academically and want something to cling on to.

You would be surprised seeing a teens work!
Reply 12
You would be surprised seeing a teens work!

I got an A* at art at GCSE and I just thought to myself "hmm what would a pretentious hippy do?" and got top marks.

Creative musicians, entrepreneurs and others all do get my full respect, but of all those who try to make it, only a tiny amount do.
Original post by kane21
I got an A* at art at GCSE and I just thought to myself "hmm what would a pretentious hippy do?" and got top marks.

Creative musicians, entrepreneurs and others all do get my full respect, but of all those who try to make it, only a tiny amount do.

Everyone has talents and ambitions.
Reply 14
Everyone has talents and ambitions.

And on average academic people do better than "creative" people
Original post by kane21
And on average academic people do better than "creative" people

Thank you for telling me that am not going to be successful in my life. 😊
Reply 16
Thank you for telling me that am not going to be successful in my life. 😊

You're not helping yourself by doing fine arts
The sort of creative people I look down on is someone who sticks a plant pot on a plinth and calls it modern art.
Original post by kane21
You're not helping yourself by doing fine arts

I actually enjoyed doing Art GCSEs, I put in a lot of effort and hard work and determination to get my grade. Am also doing media studies and graphic design to let you know.
Reply 19
I actually enjoyed doing Art GCSEs, I put in a lot of effort and hard work and determination to get my grade. Am also doing media studies and graphic design to let you know.

English lit is the only respectable a level you're doing. The rest are crappy useless a levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending