Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter
And really like them all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the extra curricular music departments were like at these places (not doing a music degree) as I think it would help differentiate. Primarily looking at orchestral music.
Was very impressed with Birmingham but the others didn't seem to quite have the same enthusiasm. Obviously I've only been to these places for open days so any advice would be much appreciated 😊

(Also not really sure which topic this would be so if you can think of a better one do say)
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Csmcl)
Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter
And really like them all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the extra curricular music departments were like at these places (not doing a music degree) as I think it would help differentiate. Primarily looking at orchestral music.
Was very impressed with Birmingham but the others didn't seem to quite have the same enthusiasm. Obviously I've only been to these places for open days so any advice would be much appreciated 😊

(Also not really sure which topic this would be so if you can think of a better one do say)
Birmingham has a really strong performance dept and they have a conservatoire. Their orchestral has a good reputation as well. York has a good music dept also, as does Durham but they are more balanced with composition opportunities vs straight performance. Exeter has a strong choral society (see Simon Clark's vlogs) but not sure about the orchestra in particular.

I'd say Birmingham > Durham/York > Exeter (for choral) > Edinburgh/Bristol in terms of performance and orchestra but tbh all will have strong extra curricular music programs (Durham/York is probably better in terms of musicology than Brum but the difference there is marginal)
Csmcl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by auburnstar)
Birmingham has a really strong performance dept and they have a conservatoire. Their orchestral has a good reputation as well. York has a good music dept also, as does Durham but they are more balanced with composition opportunities vs straight performance. Exeter has a strong choral society (see Simon Clark's vlogs) but not sure about the orchestra in particular.

I'd say Birmingham > Durham/York > Exeter (for choral) > Edinburgh/Bristol in terms of performance and orchestra but tbh all will have strong extra curricular music programs (Durham/York is probably better in terms of musicology than Brum but the difference there is marginal)
That was so helpful thanks 😊

I'd heard that Durham had a good dept but when I looked round I couldn't really find any info about it, so glad that it's up there
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Csmcl)
Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter

Biased but Exeter's looks sickkkkkkk

I have a mate at Bristol doing music and they seem to have a lot of resources for it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Csmcl)
That was so helpful thanks 😊

I'd heard that Durham had a good dept but when I looked round I couldn't really find any info about it, so glad that it's up there
Yeah it's a fantastic music department, rated no 1 in the uk 😊

Tbh though all of the ones you're looking at are going to provide neat opportunities for extracurricular music so it just depends on personal preference. Have you looked at the music course pages for the universities - I know you're not intending on studying music but they often give a good overview of the music atmopshere and opportunities on their websites. I presume you got some leaflets on the open days as well

What degree are you thinking of doing btw?
Csmcl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by auburnstar)
Yeah it's a fantastic music department, rated no 1 in the uk 😊

Tbh though all of the ones you're looking at are going to provide neat opportunities for extracurricular music so it just depends on personal preference. Have you looked at the music course pages for the universities - I know you're not intending on studying music but they often give a good overview of the music atmopshere and opportunities on their websites. I presume you got some leaflets on the open days as well

What degree are you thinking of doing btw?
Good plan
Planning on history at the mo
:thumbsup:
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Csmcl)
Good plan
Planning on history at the mo
:thumbsup:
Ah interesting! The only history I know is music history xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads