Best unis for extra curricular music?

Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter
And really like them all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the extra curricular music departments were like at these places (not doing a music degree) as I think it would help differentiate. Primarily looking at orchestral music.
Was very impressed with Birmingham but the others didn't seem to quite have the same enthusiasm. Obviously I've only been to these places for open days so any advice would be much appreciated 😊

(Also not really sure which topic this would be so if you can think of a better one do say)
Original post by Csmcl
Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter
And really like them all. I was wondering if anyone knew what the extra curricular music departments were like at these places (not doing a music degree) as I think it would help differentiate. Primarily looking at orchestral music.
Was very impressed with Birmingham but the others didn't seem to quite have the same enthusiasm. Obviously I've only been to these places for open days so any advice would be much appreciated 😊

(Also not really sure which topic this would be so if you can think of a better one do say)

Birmingham has a really strong performance dept and they have a conservatoire. Their orchestral has a good reputation as well. York has a good music dept also, as does Durham but they are more balanced with composition opportunities vs straight performance. Exeter has a strong choral society (see Simon Clark's vlogs) but not sure about the orchestra in particular.

I'd say Birmingham > Durham/York > Exeter (for choral) > Edinburgh/Bristol in terms of performance and orchestra but tbh all will have strong extra curricular music programs :smile: (Durham/York is probably better in terms of musicology than Brum but the difference there is marginal)
Reply 2
Original post by auburnstar
Birmingham has a really strong performance dept and they have a conservatoire. Their orchestral has a good reputation as well. York has a good music dept also, as does Durham but they are more balanced with composition opportunities vs straight performance. Exeter has a strong choral society (see Simon Clark's vlogs) but not sure about the orchestra in particular.

I'd say Birmingham > Durham/York > Exeter (for choral) > Edinburgh/Bristol in terms of performance and orchestra but tbh all will have strong extra curricular music programs :smile: (Durham/York is probably better in terms of musicology than Brum but the difference there is marginal)

That was so helpful thanks 😊

I'd heard that Durham had a good dept but when I looked round I couldn't really find any info about it, so glad that it's up there
Original post by Csmcl
Currently looking at:
Edinburgh
Durham
York
Birmingham
Bristol
Exeter

Biased but Exeter's looks sickkkkkkk

I have a mate at Bristol doing music and they seem to have a lot of resources for it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Csmcl
That was so helpful thanks 😊

I'd heard that Durham had a good dept but when I looked round I couldn't really find any info about it, so glad that it's up there

Yeah it's a fantastic music department, rated no 1 in the uk 😊

Tbh though all of the ones you're looking at are going to provide neat opportunities for extracurricular music so it just depends on personal preference. Have you looked at the music course pages for the universities - I know you're not intending on studying music but they often give a good overview of the music atmopshere and opportunities on their websites. I presume you got some leaflets on the open days as well :tongue:

What degree are you thinking of doing btw?
Reply 5
Original post by auburnstar
Yeah it's a fantastic music department, rated no 1 in the uk 😊

Tbh though all of the ones you're looking at are going to provide neat opportunities for extracurricular music so it just depends on personal preference. Have you looked at the music course pages for the universities - I know you're not intending on studying music but they often give a good overview of the music atmopshere and opportunities on their websites. I presume you got some leaflets on the open days as well :tongue:

What degree are you thinking of doing btw?

Good plan
Planning on history at the mo
:thumbsup:
Original post by Csmcl
Good plan
Planning on history at the mo
:thumbsup:

Ah interesting! The only history I know is music history xD :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest