The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Hi everyone :biggrin:

This may be a little early, but it won't be too long until the next academic year starts and applications will be open!

What are you applying to? What college are you applying for? If you've got a place, what tips do you have for people applying?

I'm looking to apply for the LLM! :h:

Llama

Scroll to see replies

Was wondering when one of these would appear! I'm interning at a company in Cambridge at the moment and have really fallen for the place, definitely thinking about trying for the Engineering MPhil! I've just finished the second year of an MEng but am thinking of switching to the BEng and doing a separate masters.

Is the LLM a straight law masters?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by SilentSeraph
Was wondering when one of these would appear! I'm interning at a company in Cambridge at the moment and have really fallen for the place, definitely thinking about trying for the Engineering MPhil! I've just finished the second year of an MEng but am thinking of switching to the BEng and doing a separate masters.

Is the LLM a straight law masters?

That awesome - would love to hear more about Cambridge and what exactly you love about it?

Yes, the LLM is the straight law masters but you can 'customise' it to study what area of law interests you most :smile:
Original post by TheLawLlama
That awesome - would love to hear more about Cambridge and what exactly you love about it?

Yes, the LLM is the straight law masters but you can 'customise' it to study what area of law interests you most :smile:

The town itself is really beautiful is the main thing! Being in and amongst so many amazing old buildings is a really great feeling, not to mention the sheer amount of history.

Walking the same streets as some intellectual giants (e.g. Newton and Milton) is really cool. Not to mention you walk past somewhere like the Cavendish laboratory on a wander around the town and you're right next to the place where people did the work and made the discoveries you learn about at school and on your degree!

I've also got a bit of a vibe of community from the place, quite hard to explain how exactly though!

That sounds really cool, guessing it's a taught programme?
The town itself is really beautiful is the main thing! Being in and amongst so many amazing old buildings is a really great feeling, not to mention the sheer amount of history.

Walking the same streets as some intellectual giants (e.g. Newton and Milton) is really cool. Not to mention you walk past somewhere like the Cavendish laboratory on a wander around the town and you're right next to the place where people did the work and made the discoveries you learn about at school and on your degree!

I've also got a bit of a vibe of community from the place, quite hard to explain how exactly though!

That sounds really cool, guessing it's a taught programme?

I've seen loads of pictures and it all looks beautiful, haha! I never really thought about that; I suppose you really are 'walking in the presence of greatness' if you are living/working/studying in Cambridge. :smile:

Yeah it's a one year taught programme!

Have you done much preparation for your application yet? When are you planning to get your application in?
I've seen loads of pictures and it all looks beautiful, haha! I never really thought about that; I suppose you really are 'walking in the presence of greatness' if you are living/working/studying in Cambridge. :smile:

Yeah it's a one year taught programme!

Have you done much preparation for your application yet? When are you planning to get your application in?

I think the actual location you study is pretty important, I mean, I almost feel smarter (or at least inspired) just by walking around the buildings haha!

And I've not done huge amounts yet! Mostly been looking at various programmes and trying to properly think about and research what I want to do! The one I want to go for is a research masters so I have done a bit of reading about the various research groups as well as looking at funding options! I think I'll try and get mine in by October/November at the latest! Have you done much for yours?
I think the actual location you study is pretty important, I mean, I almost feel smarter (or at least inspired) just by walking around the buildings haha!

And I've not done huge amounts yet! Mostly been looking at various programmes and trying to properly think about and research what I want to do! The one I want to go for is a research masters so I have done a bit of reading about the various research groups as well as looking at funding options! I think I'll try and get mine in by October/November at the latest! Have you done much for yours?

So with a research masters do you have to give a research proposal? Do you then basically just work on that research with a supervisor to help? Sorry if I'm being ignorant haha :tongue: I was thinking to get mine in around October time as the Cambridge LLM has a deadline of 15th November apparently :s-smilie: I've done some research into what the LLM contains and started writing up a couple of the documents needed for the application, but not much! I want to try and speak to some other people currently doing the LLM and hear their tips before I start writing everything :smile:
So with a research masters do you have to give a research proposal? Do you then basically just work on that research with a supervisor to help? Sorry if I'm being ignorant haha :tongue: I was thinking to get mine in around October time as the Cambridge LLM has a deadline of 15th November apparently :s-smilie: I've done some research into what the LLM contains and started writing up a couple of the documents needed for the application, but not much! I want to try and speak to some other people currently doing the LLM and hear their tips before I start writing everything :smile:

It's fine! I actually found reading through the 2017 applicants thread really helpful! My understanding is that I don't have to do a research proposal, rather, I mention which area(s) in particular I'm interested in and they assign a supervisor based on that!

15th of November is an early deadline, though I imagine it's an incredibly competitive course! What sorts of documents do you need to submit? I think the Engineering MPhil is quite a small course so there doesn't seem to be masses of information available sadly... Much more info for the PhD/MRes+PhD courses, but I'm not sure I fancy another 3-4 years of education, need to get out and work at some point!

Definitely worth finding about successful (and perhaps unsuccessful) applicants to see what to do and what not to do!
It's fine! I actually found reading through the 2017 applicants thread really helpful! My understanding is that I don't have to do a research proposal, rather, I mention which area(s) in particular I'm interested in and they assign a supervisor based on that!

15th of November is an early deadline, though I imagine it's an incredibly competitive course! What sorts of documents do you need to submit? I think the Engineering MPhil is quite a small course so there doesn't seem to be masses of information available sadly... Much more info for the PhD/MRes+PhD courses, but I'm not sure I fancy another 3-4 years of education, need to get out and work at some point!

Definitely worth finding about successful (and perhaps unsuccessful) applicants to see what to do and what not to do!

I'll do the same at some point; there could be some useful information! Okay, I understand. So that shouldn't be tooooo bad then? :smile:

Yeah it's pretty early.... maybe even the earliest for all the Cambridge masters programmes?! I've got to get a CV, a personal statement, my references, and a 2000 word essay. It's quite straight forward, but making everything perfect takes a lot of time. Hahaa, just delay real work for as long as possible :wink: I bet it's a fascinating masters to do though. I wish I was good at science/maths...

I'm going to find people on LinkedIn probably and speak to them there. Not sure how else I'd be able to easily find and communicate with current/past LLM students :confused:
I'll do the same at some point; there could be some useful information! Okay, I understand. So that shouldn't be tooooo bad then? :smile:

Yeah it's pretty early.... maybe even the earliest for all the Cambridge masters programmes?! I've got to get a CV, a personal statement, my references, and a 2000 word essay. It's quite straight forward, but making everything perfect takes a lot of time. Hahaa, just delay real work for as long as possible :wink: I bet it's a fascinating masters to do though. I wish I was good at science/maths...

I'm going to find people on LinkedIn probably and speak to them there. Not sure how else I'd be able to easily find and communicate with current/past LLM students :confused:

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a rather busy week!

I suppose for something like law, they must get a massive number of applicants so they can only deal with so many! That sure sounds like a lot to do haha, but perfecting it would definitely be the hard part. I can only imagine the tension of clicking the submit button on your application!

And that's somewhat the idea haha, though to become a chartered engineer, you need a master's degree, so I figure I may as well get it done now whilst I'm in the education mindset! Plus, I'm sure having Cambridge on your CV will open up a few extra doors... Main thing for me though is that the actual research that goes on is pretty exciting, would be soo great to get to work with leading academics and such!

Is LinkedIn any good? Not actually used it myself!
Hey! I'm applying for the MPhil in Philosophy. I'm a tad confused, as it doesn't seem that my app requires a personal statement, is this quite common?
Original post by noumenon
Hey! I'm applying for the MPhil in Philosophy. I'm a tad confused, as it doesn't seem that my app requires a personal statement, is this quite common?

There is a field for a short personal statement in all applications I think. I would not dare leave it unfilled even if they did not mention it in the required attachments.

I think I am going to apply for MPhil in Biochemistry. Currently studying Biology (mostly genetics and biochemistry) in Finland and working as a trainee in an internationally acknowledged research group, GPA well above 4.9/5 (5 for one course is at least 90%) I have applied for January entry this summer but I was rejected. The semiofficial explanation was that I had not followed instructions by contacting my supervisor of interest before applying, although I had and was advised by this supervisor to apply. I am currently trying to find out whether some kind of misunderstanding had taken place. I hear that confusing and inefficient application/selection process is typical of Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by allujallu
There is a field for a short personal statement in all applications I think. I would not dare leave it unfilled even if they did not mention it in the required attachments.

I think I am going to apply for MPhil in Biochemistry. Currently studying Biology (mostly genetics and biochemistry) in Finland and working as a trainee in an internationally acknowledged research group, GPA well above 4.9/5 (5 for one course is at least 90%) I have applied for January entry this summer but I was rejected. The semiofficial explanation was that I had not followed instructions by contacting my supervisor of interest before applying, although I had and was advised by this supervisor to apply. I am currently trying to find out whether some kind of misunderstanding had taken place. I hear that confusing and inefficient application/selection process is typical of Cambridge.

Are you intending on reapplying for the Easter deadline? I'd definitely get in contact and ask for further info nonetheless.
Are you intending on reapplying for the Easter deadline? I'd definitely get in contact and ask for further info nonetheless.

Nah, I think I'll just apply for Michaelmas 2018! I actually received a prompt response from the supervisor after I enquired about that discrepancy I mentioned, and they said that based on the references and blah, they rejected the application, so. The admission person had just provided me with incorrect explanation, so I guess I'll be contacting other PI's - and several ones before applying, that's for sure!
Nah, I think I'll just apply for Michaelmas 2018! I actually received a prompt response from the supervisor after I enquired about that discrepancy I mentioned, and they said that based on the references and blah, they rejected the application, so. The admission person had just provided me with incorrect explanation, so I guess I'll be contacting other PI's - and several ones before applying, that's for sure!

Do you mind me asking how did you structure your personal statement, and what did you include within it?
Do you mind me asking how did you structure your personal statement, and what did you include within it?

Well, first I described my background as a large picture in two sentences including how I originally took interest in my field of study and my long-term topic of interest. Then I reasoned why I was interested in the courses I had been taking and how it applies to this bigger topic of interest. Finally, I mentioned some near future plans relevant for the programme I was applying to and concluded that opportunities for postgraduate projects linking all these subjects I had covered together are limited in my university but abundant in Cambridge.

I think the rejection might be because my experience of the research topic I proposed is not as substantial as that of some other subjects. I do not think my personal statement could have been so bad that the whole application was doomed because of it.
Well, first I described my background as a large picture in two sentences including how I originally took interest in my field of study and my long-term topic of interest. Then I reasoned why I was interested in the courses I had been taking and how it applies to this bigger topic of interest. Finally, I mentioned some near future plans relevant for the programme I was applying to and concluded that opportunities for postgraduate projects linking all these subjects I had covered together are limited in my university but abundant in Cambridge.

I think the rejection might be because my experience of the research topic I proposed is not as substantial as that of some other subjects. I do not think my personal statement could have been so bad that the whole application was doomed because of it.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted a bit of guidance in writing mine!
Thanks for the info, I just wanted a bit of guidance in writing mine!

considering the outcome you and i should both take it as a "don't do that" kind of guidance :jester::jester:

where are you studying currently? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
considering the outcome you and i should both take it as a "don't do that" kind of guidance :jester::jester:

where are you studying currently? :smile:

Hahahah, I'm sure your statement was fine, given your profile it was probably on some technical thing, such as having fellows to cover your research interests properly etc. I'm currently at the LSE, yourself?
Hahahah, I'm sure your statement was fine, given your profile it was probably on some technical thing, such as having fellows to cover your research interests properly etc. I'm currently at the LSE, yourself?

wow, good for you, your academic success probably will weigh much more than mine :smile: but are you majoring in philosophy? i'm at university of helsinki.

Quick Reply

Latest