The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salma.d
Was your conditional offer a general one or was it specific to the classes you've taken during that last semester?

The offer was on the overall year, but they knew which classes I was taking so kind of both ahah
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Jeremy01
To get my master's degree with an average of 17/20 on my international transcript and I got like 19 (17/20 was the French transcript).

What percentage in each module is that roughly equivalent to ?
Original post by Salma.d
Hello everyone !
I have a quick question please. I submitted an unofficial transcript as part of my application in which I was preregistered for 3 classes. Due to some constraints, I had to only enroll in two of these three classes, knowing that I do not need the 3rd one to graduate. I was just taking it as an elective. I would like to know if that would pose a problem if I ever get a conditional offer? Do they specify that you have to get such grade in such course, or is it a general condition with regards to the cumulative GPA?

I am pretty sure offers are never so meticulous that they take into account particular classes. But the only way you can be certain is to contact your particular department (and I am definitely sure an enquiry like this would not affect your chances of being successful in any way). Sharing my opinion as only an offer holder, not as someone from Cambridge :smile:
Original post by Scary
What percentage in each module is that roughly equivalent to ?

It's a A I'd say.
Original post by Jeremy01
To get my master's degree with an average of 17/20 on my international transcript and I got like 19 (17/20 was the French transcript).

You did your master's degree in France ? I am actually doing a master's degree in Law in France and my average is about 14/20. I feel quite depressed !
Original post by Alexholmes7624
Hi guys, a quick question, do you think it’s worth calling Cambridge to find out your situation, I.e I applied in Late October for the MPhil Management and my application is still at “Under Review by Department”?

I feel if you call it may deflect badly on your application?

In the same position - applied for Management mid-November and still under review. This program is notorious for taking a while to get offers out so I would just sit tight until March when the applications are all in.
How are people with offers sorting out funding?

Do you contact your college? How does the process work? I'm a bit confused...
Original post by Marianne Evans
Hello there! An international student looking for advice over here!

I applied for the MPhil in Architecture and Urban Design in the middle of December (18th) but received a rejection around the 8th of January. I haven't moved past the Department stage. Who else has applied for MPhil in Architecture? Could you give me some advice? To be honest, I didn't expect such quick rejection since I have a have a First in Architecture and even some conference participation with one journal publication, leadership positions in my uni.

Could they reject you because of age? I am 19, by the way. Maybe, that's because I didn't have a Language Certificate. Of course, I passed CAE earlier but didn't achieve a required number of points in Use of English. Maybe the fact that I haven't graduated yet put them off. My tutors told me that their references to me were awesome. A weak portfolio? Lame research proposal? A bland sample of work? Did I apply too late? I am just... I don't understand where did I go wrong? Frankly speaking, I don't get it. Like, at all.

I'd like to reapply next year, but without any feedback, it seems impossible. Any helpful hints and tips are welcome) This thread is a goldmine of advice for others, perhaps it could be one for me as well.

Good luck everyone who is still in the process of admission))) Wish you all the best!

The language certificate would have been significant. It could have been a weak portfolio, it could have been a 'lame' research proposal, it could have been a 'bland' sample of work.

Your age wouldn't have been a direct issue, but being able to pass an equivalent undergrad degree by the age of 19 is highly unusual, and without some sort of explanation, could it have been an issue about A level equivalents and undergrad read across to UK undergrad architecture degrees?

You can ask for feedback from the Department, but it can take some time to come through
Original post by Alexholmes7624
Hi guys, a quick question, do you think it’s worth calling Cambridge to find out your situation, I.e I applied in Late October for the MPhil Management and my application is still at “Under Review by Department”?

I feel if you call it may deflect badly on your application?

I contacted them by email earlier this week after waiting since late September for an outcome and one course got back to me and said I'd been rejected and the second got back to me and said I'll know by mid February at the latest. Both replied the following day so it was worth it for me to know where I stand after so long, but seeing as you applied a month after me I'd probably just wait it out at this point. Either way it won't scupper your chances.
Original post by Salma.d
Hello everyone !
I have a quick question please. I submitted an unofficial transcript as part of my application in which I was preregistered for 3 classes. Due to some constraints, I had to only enroll in two of these three classes, knowing that I do not need the 3rd one to graduate. I was just taking it as an elective. I would like to know if that would pose a problem if I ever get a conditional offer? Do they specify that you have to get such grade in such course, or is it a general condition with regards to the cumulative GPA?

You should email and tell them if you make any changes to the academic courses you told them about in the application but it usually doesn't make a difference to the offer.
Original post by Salma.d
Alright I see, I sent them an enquiry and I am waiting for their response but it is really stressing me out. I am already not confident about my application and I fear this might complicate things further.

It's really not likely to, unless the element you are dropping is directly relevant to your subject.
Original post by MichelleZW
Wow, that's quick! What college will you be in?

Robinsons; not one I'd heard of before. Which colleges are you hoping for?
Hey everyone. I applied for the PhD in Law in early December, before the deadline. However, my app status is still "submitted". Should I be worried?
Original post by Marianne Evans
Hello there! An international student looking for advice over here!

I applied for the MPhil in Architecture and Urban Design in the middle of December (18th) but received a rejection around the 8th of January. I haven't moved past the Department stage. Who else has applied for MPhil in Architecture? Could you give me some advice? To be honest, I didn't expect such quick rejection since I have a have a First in Architecture and even some conference participation with one journal publication, leadership positions in my uni.

Could they reject you because of age? I am 19, by the way. Maybe, that's because I didn't have a Language Certificate. Of course, I passed CAE earlier but didn't achieve a required number of points in Use of English. Maybe the fact that I haven't graduated yet put them off. My tutors told me that their references to me were awesome. A weak portfolio? Lame research proposal? A bland sample of work? Did I apply too late? I am just... I don't understand where did I go wrong? Frankly speaking, I don't get it. Like, at all.

I'd like to reapply next year, but without any feedback, it seems impossible. Any helpful hints and tips are welcome) This thread is a goldmine of advice for others, perhaps it could be one for me as well.

Good luck everyone who is still in the process of admission))) Wish you all the best!

Sorry to hear about your rejection.
Perhaps it will be appropriate to seek some feedback from the department by way of an email to them.
Original post by MichelleZW
Hi! I've also applied to the MPhil in ReproSoc, and from my experience, it seems to take a bit longer than other courses.

I applied back in early Oct, had an interview on the 20th of October, sat in the 'under review by department' queue until the 15th of December, and am now at 'awaiting approval from GAO'.

Hang in there, if you have an offer from another department, I can't imagine you won't get an offer from ReproSoc as well. Hope to see you around! By the way, congratulations on your offer!! :smile:

Hi to both of you guys and huge congrats on the offers,

I have a Skype interview for the Reprosoc MPhil this Friday and I am currently experiencing a freaky feel meltdown (hence the 2am message). Have either of you, or anyone else on this thread, got any tips however vague they need to be? I was sure I had an inside-out understanding of my research proposal until today but now the whole 'not knowing what they are going to ask' thing is making me very hyperventilatey.
Thanks in advance Cambridge prospective cats.

Rosie
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Howyesno
Hey multitude,

Has anyone applied for the PhD or MPhil in Social Anthropology and moved beyond 'under review by department'?

Cheers

Finally someone else! I applied for the MPhil and I'm still at the department stage, although I did receive an email a few weeks back stating that we'd know the outcome of our application by end of Jan. Did you get this too?
For those applying mphil in B&T neuroscience, according to previous years' record, interview invitation will be released very soon (in mid/late-Jan) and offer result in early/mid-Feb. Don't know if this year's schedule is the same...The wait is killing me!
Reply 1077
Hi guys! For those who've applied for MPhils/PhDs in Chem, I contacted the Department of Chemistry few days ago, and this is the reply I got from them:

"If you have applied before 10 November, you should receive a decision on your application by the end of February. Shortlisted applicants can expect to be interviewed in December or January, either in person, or via Skype.Applications have been circulated to the Research Interest Groups and supervisors and I believe that they are now in the process of ranking and arranging interviews. Please be aware that we have received in excess of 300 applications and it is a very busy time of the year with academics also engaged in undergraduate interviews."

Hope it helps! And based on the timeline, they'll probably be having a committee meeting tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
Original post by aimryonne
You did your master's degree in France ? I am actually doing a master's degree in Law in France and my average is about 14/20. I feel quite depressed !

Yes I did, but I think we cannot compare the grading system for law and mathematics! As long as you meet their entry requirement, there is a chance. Also, I suppose they take into account your rank, your references and not just the grades that you have without context. Plus I assume your international transcript and French transcript differ a bit with regards to the grades, but perhaps it depends upon the university.

Good luck with your application!
Original post by jnks
Hi guys! For those who've applied for MPhils/PhDs in Chem, I contacted the Department of Chemistry few days ago, and this is the reply I got from them:

"If you have applied before 10 November, you should receive a decision on your application by the end of February. Shortlisted applicants can expect to be interviewed in December or January, either in person, or via Skype.Applications have been circulated to the Research Interest Groups and supervisors and I believe that they are now in the process of ranking and arranging interviews. Please be aware that we have received in excess of 300 applications and it is a very busy time of the year with academics also engaged in undergraduate interviews."

Hope it helps! And based on the timeline, they'll probably be having a committee meeting tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

I wonder how this 300 was counted. Cause for my MPhil course there was under 100 applications. Is my course so unwanted 💩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending