The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stitcheles
I dunno their website doesn't really give that much of a timeframe other than "it may take months". I'm glad to hear that it's not just my application that's been left to gather dust on some shelf. I think at this point no news is good news and good luck 😊

Good luck to you too:u:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by aleatorio
Hello! Bit new here, but I'm just wondering if anyone can calm me down a bit..
I was offered a funded PhD position with a supervisor in the Physiology, Development and Neuroscience department and put in my application online earlier this month (on "under review by department" at the moment; 1st Corpus, 2nd Christs). My supervisor said the application is "practically a formality" because I already have 4 years full funding secured, but as I was offered the place I ended up rejecting interviews for other programmes (CRUK Cambridge and the Francis Crick) because I preferred this PhD project to those in those programmes and I got the impression from the supervisor that I was essentially guaranteed acceptance.
But now, I can't stop worrying that my application will be rejected and I'll be left with nothing for next year! Its probably irrational but does anyone know if already having funding makes it more likely you'll be accepted?
I consider myself a reasonably strong applicant (4.07/4.2 GPA, 2 summer research projects (one was with a fairly prestigious funding program in the UK) and a few published abstracts, plus more lab experience for my thesis that I'm doing at the moment), but the imposter syndrome is getting me good!

Omg I'm in such a similar situation! A company I worked with offered full funding and I found a supervisor who is really compatible with my interests. He said he would like me to be in the group, took me out for lunch to discuss other funding options they could give me in case my other funding falls through, I even worked for a 6 weeks in the group and did some research, getting along really well with everyone. Over the multiple times we have spoken he's said that although 'nothing is guaranteed' I am high up on the list of applicants, I have the right skills, and I basically will get in unless the second interviewer 'hates me'. So I got the same kind of impression, that I was basically in.
I haven't made any other applications because I definitely want to be in Cambridge, my boyfriend works there in a job he loves, we want to live there for at least the next 5-10 years and we can finally live together after 4 years of long distance. Sorry I am rambling so much hahaha but it is nice to find someone in my situation.
I also have a strong application with 1 year + a summer + current Masters research experience, great references, top grades, and funding.. I had an interview and I'm waiting on the outcome, if its a rejection then I'm going to regret putting all my eggs in one basket for sure :frown:
I think funding definitely does increase your chances. At least.. I hope so. And I totally agree with your 'imposter syndrome' which is why I am so insanely freaked out that I, little old me, has even had a PhD interview at Cambridge :P
Original post by chembabeforever
Omg I'm in such a similar situation! A company I worked with offered full funding and I found a supervisor who is really compatible with my interests. He said he would like me to be in the group, took me out for lunch to discuss other funding options they could give me in case my other funding falls through, I even worked for a 6 weeks in the group and did some research, getting along really well with everyone. Over the multiple times we have spoken he's said that although 'nothing is guaranteed' I am high up on the list of applicants, I have the right skills, and I basically will get in unless the second interviewer 'hates me'. So I got the same kind of impression, that I was basically in.
I haven't made any other applications because I definitely want to be in Cambridge, my boyfriend works there in a job he loves, we want to live there for at least the next 5-10 years and we can finally live together after 4 years of long distance. Sorry I am rambling so much hahaha but it is nice to find someone in my situation.
I also have a strong application with 1 year + a summer + current Masters research experience, great references, top grades, and funding.. I had an interview and I'm waiting on the outcome, if its a rejection then I'm going to regret putting all my eggs in one basket for sure :frown:
I think funding definitely does increase your chances. At least.. I hope so. And I totally agree with your 'imposter syndrome' which is why I am so insanely freaked out that I, little old me, has even had a PhD interview at Cambridge :P

Im glad Im not the only one! I haven't worked in my lab, but I was in a different lab in Cambridge for a summer on the Amgen Scholars Program so I really hope that gives me some sort of advantage..
My supervisor is also very well known in her field and so I suppose her offering me funding should also be a good sign!
Did you do your interview before or after submitting the uni application? I did mine before, and I don't know if I should expect another interview by the department or something?

Im in the opposite situation with my boyfriend (also of 4 years!), as he is likely to be staying here in Ireland... :frown:

What colleges have you applied to?
Im glad Im not the only one! I haven't worked in my lab, but I was in a different lab in Cambridge for a summer on the Amgen Scholars Program so I really hope that gives me some sort of advantage..
My supervisor is also very well known in her field and so I suppose her offering me funding should also be a good sign!
Did you do your interview before or after submitting the uni application? I did mine before, and I don't know if I should expect another interview by the department or something?

Im in the opposite situation with my boyfriend (also of 4 years!), as he is likely to be staying here in Ireland... :frown:

What colleges have you applied to?

I think you sound like a great applicant, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Well I had an informal chat with my POI (and another supervisor), which is when he expressed interest in me joining the group, but I wouldn't say it was a proper interview. I applied in November and just had my 'official' interview which is mandatory before receiving an offer for Chemistry. I think it depends on the department, but you'll probably have an official interview too?
Oh no! I am sure something will get figured out, long distance is hard but doable, PM me if you ever want to chat!
I put down Jesus and Downing, who knows if we will get our first choices though :P
Well I had an informal chat with my POI (and another supervisor), which is when he expressed interest in me joining the group, but I wouldn't say it was a proper interview. I applied in November and just had my 'official' interview which is mandatory before receiving an offer for Chemistry. I think it depends on the department, but you'll probably have an official interview too?
Oh no! I am sure something will get figured out, long distance is hard but doable, PM me if you ever want to chat!
I put down Jesus and Downing, who knows if we will get our first choices though :P

Thank you! Ah, I guess thats true that each department is different - my case is that a funded place was advertised by the group (I saw it on Twitter) and then they flew me over for a day at the lab meeting the group etc. and then she asked me if Id like to start in October! So I put together a research proposal and submitted the application. Really hope I dont have another interview - I kinda assumed I was on the home stretch!
Thank you! Ah, I guess thats true that each department is different - my case is that a funded place was advertised by the group (I saw it on Twitter) and then they flew me over for a day at the lab meeting the group etc. and then she asked me if Id like to start in October! So I put together a research proposal and submitted the application. Really hope I dont have another interview - I kinda assumed I was on the home stretch!

Oh I see, in that case then you probably won't need an interview! Maybe you could email the graduate admissions office and ask?
Oh I see, in that case then you probably won't need an interview! Maybe you could email the graduate admissions office and ask?

Yeah my current plan is wait until the end of the month and then email about the progress of my application!
Hope you hear some good new soon too!

How was the official interview experience? I have mine on Monday! Did you have to do a presentation?
Original post by BioGeek
How was the official interview experience? I have mine on Monday! Did you have to do a presentation?

It was a tough interview, I really can't tell how it went... some parts I feel I came across well but other times not so much. I was very nervous and had mind blanks and did not speak as clearly as I would have liked but I think they expect that. My POI told me they want to challenge the interviewees and push them until they can't answer the questions given. Not sure if your experience will be the same!
No, I didn't have to do a presentation :smile: Do you?
Hi Michelle,

I can understand that it feels strange to have to consider a women's college. However, as a current undergrad at Lucy, please let me reassure you that it is a lovely place, and is extremely welcoming of husbands/partners/male friends etc. They are always welcome, and there are men around at lunches/dinners in the dining hall every day. If you live in graduate couples accommodation then you'll also be neighbours with other couples too (btw most of this accommodation is offsite at the nearby Histon Road site, which is new, quiet, and very comfortable.) Lucy is a very friendly place, with staff that are absolutely dedicated to helping their students as much as possible. Also bear in mind that, as a graduate, you will spend most of your time in your department rather than college itself. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to message me.

Original post by MichelleZW
I need some advice please. I've been offered a place, but in my application I selected 'no preference' for the college. I've just called the GAO to see if I could get any info, and it's transpired that my application is with Lucy Cavendish (a female only, mature student college). I'm a mature student, but I'm SO SO unhappy at the thought of being in a single-sex college. My husband will be coming with me to Cambridge, so I don't want him to feel uncomfortable, and to be honest, although I appreciate why the LC was founded, I hate the spirit of segregation.

GAO have said they can't do anything until we get a decision from LC. But, if they accept me, it's highly unlikely that I'll be allowed to move to another college.

So, my question - do I call the admissions at LC and (very nicely) ask them to reject me, or do I just lump it and take what's given to me? I appreciate that at this point I sound like a spoiled brat (I am actually aware of how lucky I am to have an offer at all), but I can't stress enough how much I don't want to be in a single-sex college.

Thanks
Michelle
It was a tough interview, I really can't tell how it went... some parts I feel I came across well but other times not so much. I was very nervous and had mind blanks and did not speak as clearly as I would have liked but I think they expect that. My POI told me they want to challenge the interviewees and push them until they can't answer the questions given. Not sure if your experience will be the same!
No, I didn't have to do a presentation :smile: Do you?

I am sure you've done very well and its normal for you to feel like that. Yes, we are instructed to do a presentation on a recent research project that we have done. How does it work for Chemistry, did you write a research proposal or was it an advertised studentship?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BioGeek
I am sure you've done very well and its normal for you to feel like that. Yes, we are instructed to do a presentation on a recent research project that we have done. How does it work for Chemistry, did you write a research proposal or was it an advertised studentship?

That's cool, that'll be a good way to convey your passion! No, I didn't need to write a research proposal per se, just had to fill in a generic application form stating my interests, experience etc. and attach a CV. The department fits the student with a suitable project after interview. What about you?
Original post by InvisibleDuck
Congratulations! I have an offer for the same course but no college decision yet.

I don't know for sure but considering that we have to upload any evidence of funding to the self-service account along with the financial undertaking form, I presume it's done separately. I was told that the first decisions about funding won't happen until March and some could be much later, though, so we've got some time to wait!

Hello! I have an offer for the Mphil in Education (research in second language education) but no college has contacted me yet! when did you receive your offer? I got the email the 20th December!
Original post by Liv284
For any English applicants, thought I’d say that my procrastination efforts led me to having a flick through last year’s postgrad thread and the first English offers (/presumably rejections) seem to have come through from 1st Feb onwards. So it looks like we have at least another two weeks to wait until anything changes.

Yep, although the switch to GAO happened a few days prior, at the very end of January. I don’t think that’ll stop me from checking the portal—it’s become almost a daily ritual for me these past few days. I reckon I’ll actually miss the anticipation/suspense when it’s all over. :P
Original post by Starbuck22
Hi Michelle,

I can understand that it feels strange to have to consider a women's college. However, as a current undergrad at Lucy, please let me reassure you that it is a lovely place, and is extremely welcoming of husbands/partners/male friends etc. They are always welcome, and there are men around at lunches/dinners in the dining hall every day. If you live in graduate couples accommodation then you'll also be neighbours with other couples too (btw most of this accommodation is offsite at the nearby Histon Road site, which is new, quiet, and very comfortable.) Lucy is a very friendly place, with staff that are absolutely dedicated to helping their students as much as possible. Also bear in mind that, as a graduate, you will spend most of your time in your department rather than college itself. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to message me.

Hi, thanks so much for your message.
I ended up emailing the college as my application hasn't been accepted/rejected yet, and letting them know that I would prefer to live/learn in a mixed-sex environment.
However, your note has really calmed my worries, so even if they do offer me a place, I feel a lot better about it
Thanks again,
Michelle
Original post by threeportdrift
You have next to no chance of changing College, if you reject Lucy Cav you are effectively rejecting your place. But from what I've heard, LC is very husband friendly. None of the female only Colleges are anything like nunnery's, they continue to exist because there continues to be a demand for them - none of those reasons I'm going to create a s***-storm be discussing, but all very valid - society just isn't quite there yet.

You always have a choice when you get to Cam as to where you centre your life, some people choose their sports teams of societies, some people choose their department, and some choose their College. And you certainly don't have the time to do all 3 effectively.

LC is probably the best College by a margin to have a partner at, and make a shared life within the College community, because let's face it most mature women are in a committed relationship of some sort. LC works with that as the norm, none of the other Colleges do. I was a mature student at a regular College (the best one!) but they'd still have looked at me squiffy if I'd tried to include my partner in regular College life.

And I can't begin to tell you how much cleaner the loos and showers are in an all female College!

I suggest you try and contact someone in the LC MCR (actually, I don't think they have such a division of staff and students) and they can tell you what life is really like.

Thanks for your note. I haven't been offered a place at LC yet, so I was hoping to circumvent the offer so the GAO would have to send my application elsewhere. I know I can't reject a college, and would rather be at Cambridge at LC than not at all. Either way, I'm glad to know that even if we do end up there, it's welcoming to male partners/etc (and that the loos are so clean!).
Thanks again.
Original post by Ilaria95
Hello! I have an offer for the Mphil in Education (research in second language education) but no college has contacted me yet! when did you receive your offer? I got the email the 20th December!

Hi! My offer wasn't made until early January, so I'm not particularly worried about not having a college place yet.

If your self-service still says 'Seeking College Membership' you might want to email them to chase it up. If you didn't get into your first choice (or the first college your application was sent to, if you didn't have a preference), it should say 'Unsuccessful at X College' instead, and that means it might take a bit longer since the next college also needs time to look at your application.
Hello! Bit new here, but I'm just wondering if anyone can calm me down a bit..
I was offered a funded PhD position with a supervisor in the Physiology, Development and Neuroscience department and put in my application online earlier this month (on "under review by department" at the moment; 1st Corpus, 2nd Christs). My supervisor said the application is "practically a formality" because I already have 4 years full funding secured, but as I was offered the place I ended up rejecting interviews for other programmes (CRUK Cambridge and the Francis Crick) because I preferred this PhD project to those in those programmes and I got the impression from the supervisor that I was essentially guaranteed acceptance.
But now, I can't stop worrying that my application will be rejected and I'll be left with nothing for next year! Its probably irrational but does anyone know if already having funding makes it more likely you'll be accepted?
I consider myself a reasonably strong applicant (4.07/4.2 GPA, 2 summer research projects (one was with a fairly prestigious funding program in the UK) and a few published abstracts, plus more lab experience for my thesis that I'm doing at the moment), but the imposter syndrome is getting me good!

I'm in literally the exact same position, except I haven't rejected my other interview offers yet...! I really don't know what to do! I've been offered a place on a 4 year PhD at Cambridge, but this hasnt formally come through my applicant portal yet.. (still says under review by dept)

I dont want to reject everything else untill i know this is guaranteed :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bubbles94
I'm in literally the exact same position, except I haven't rejected my other interview offers yet...! I really don't know what to do! I've been offered a place on a 4 year PhD at Cambridge, but this hasnt formally come through my applicant portal yet.. (still says under review by dept)

I dont want to reject everything else untill i know this is guaranteed :s-smilie:

Is there a deadline by which you need to respond to the offers? I'd say go to the interviews, even if you don't end up taking them in the end its still a good experience and its good to have options!
Original post by Bubbles94

Is this a proper 4 year programme that has its own interviews and is run ever year? Because for those, I know it's very very unlikely you'll be rejected because the selection process makes sure they choose people who will be accepted.I had a application in for one other program but I havent heard from them yet and a friend of mine has, and it was the only one I had planned to interview for as a back up, so to speak, so I guess I can't do anything else now but wait! So nerve wracking, but I'd say to go to other interviews if you want to, there's no harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending